Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: In World War II the Germans lost 782 submarines, the Japanese lost 130, Great Britan and Commonwealth countries lost 88 subs, Russia lost 110 submarines and the United States lost only 52 submarines. Twenty-three of the Japanese subs lost were victims of the American Submarine Service.
Submarine War Patrol Reports Online
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

pekelney
Posted 2009-02-18 5:48 PM (#24380)
Mess cooking

Subject: Submarine War Patrol Reports Online

Folks,

The entire collection of Submarine War Patrol Reports are now available online via the HNSA web site:

http://hnsa.org/doc/subreports.htm

At the end of each war patrol of WW II, submarine commanders created a report on the patrol. These reports were used as the raw material to inform intelligence, improve tactics, evaluate commanders, etc. During WW II, over 1,550 patrol reports containing approximately 63,000 pages were generated. During the 1970s these were photographed and reproduced on microfilm to make them more easly accessible and easily reproduced (approx. 250 rolls). During 2008 a copy of this microfilm was scanned into digital format (110 GB), and in 2009 it was made available online here (14 GB).

HNSA thanks John Clear EMC (SS) USN Ret. and Dan Martini EMCM(SS) USN Ret. for their generous donation of the digital copies of these war patrol reports used to create this online version. We also wish to thank the Naval Undersea Museum for loaning their microfilm copies of the war patrol reports for the project. The online versions have been compressed and optimized for online reading, higher resolutions versions on DVD that may print or OCR better may be purchased from http://www.usssealion.com/ (Unrelated to HNSA). Many of the original documents without any reproduction artifacts many be found at the US National Archives and Record Administration in College Park, Maryland.

rich
snakeyez
Posted 2009-02-18 6:30 PM (#24384 - in reply to #24380)

Senior Crew

Subject: RE: Submarine War Patrol Reports Online

This will be a valuable resource for years to come. Thanks to everyone involved. This is historic.
crystal
Posted 2009-02-19 5:38 AM (#24396 - in reply to #24380)

Master and Commander

AND you all owe a big round of bravo zulus to Rich Pekelney here for all of his work of late, getting these on-line and up and running!  Thank you again Rich, I'm glad HNSA was our obvious choice to entrust these reports to.

John & Dan

miss lumpy bumps
Posted 2009-02-19 6:45 AM (#24406 - in reply to #24380)

COMSUBBBS

BIG KUDOS TO YOU RICH...and of course...John and Dan...I bookmarked a few of the reports and look forward to reading them with great interest.

miss lumpy bumps
Posted 2009-02-24 9:28 PM (#24611 - in reply to #24380)

COMSUBBBS

Well, I am one of the happy recipient's of one of these reports...THANK YOU, CHIEF CLEAR and
Submarine Memorabilia.  I have only gotten through the First Patrol Report of the USS Bergall SS320, but I know when our 320 guys get a chance to look at these reports...it will just make me smile all over.
These are just 4 of the commissioning crew...all wonderful, special men.

KUDO'S to ALL!!!

Thank you!

(Bergall Reunion 2006 060A-320 Crew.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Bergall Reunion 2006 060A-320 Crew.jpg (45KB - 606 downloads)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software