Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: The USS SEAWOLF join the Electric Boat built USS NAUTILUS and SKATE in writing new chapters in the achievements of man when the nuclear powered submarine came to the surface at 11:45 a.m. on October 6, 1958 after being continuously submerged for 60 days.
Not the same guy I see in the mirror
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Sid Harrison
Posted 2009-02-20 8:35 AM (#24452)

Great Sage of the Sea

Subject: Not the same guy I see in the mirror

Summer of 1965

Couple of pics recently received from my brother.
Forgot he had had taken them.
Time flies when you're having fun...
Ric
Posted 2009-02-20 9:05 AM (#24453 - in reply to #24452)

Plankowner

Subject: RE: Not the same guy I see in the mirror

...summer of '65 I was in new construction at EB sweating in the humidity....

...I have only found two photos of me taken in 1965. My GF and I sitting in a restaurant in New London. I think it was that one right next to the Guard (?) theater. We were going to see a movie. That guy is no longer in my mirror either....

>
docbeeghly
Posted 2009-02-20 12:38 PM (#24458 - in reply to #24452)
Senior Crew

How bout 1955, but stil just as hansome as ever

(Submarine Medical training.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Submarine Medical training.jpg (59KB - 545 downloads)
SOB490
Posted 2009-02-20 12:51 PM (#24460 - in reply to #24458)

Old Salt

>>>How bout 1955, but stil just as hansome as ever

Doc - I gotta ask this --- for the record, mind you ---

Just what is the brown tinge on those photos caused by?
docbeeghly
Posted 2009-02-20 2:56 PM (#24470 - in reply to #24452)
Senior Crew

Golden sunshine in the land of the rising sun. Oh what wonderful memories.
crystal
Posted 2009-02-20 5:48 PM (#24477 - in reply to #24452)

Master and Commander

Left = Summer of '65, Okinawa - -  Right = K.C. USSVI Convention

(45 years.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 45 years.JPG (68KB - 554 downloads)
Ralph Luther
Posted 2009-02-21 6:05 AM (#24493 - in reply to #24477)
COMSUBBBS

GREAT SCOTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Damn, John, you hit the nail on the head. How does it go? Rode hard and put up wet.
fritz
Posted 2009-02-21 12:48 PM (#24509 - in reply to #24453)

Crew

Ric, I believe that is the same little lady that you have another picture of. You taking her to her prom, maybe? She was a cutie, and I know I have mentioned this before, but memory keeps telling me that her dad ran a shoe store in the New London area.
miss lumpy bumps
Posted 2009-02-21 3:16 PM (#24510 - in reply to #24477)

COMSUBBBS

I have a better one of you, Chief...in your element!!!

Edited by miss lumpy bumps 2009-02-21 3:38 PM

(CLEAR, JOHN-SEPT.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments CLEAR, JOHN-SEPT.jpg (49KB - 562 downloads)
Blue from West Oz
Posted 2009-02-21 4:04 PM (#24511 - in reply to #24460)

Master and Commander

SOB490 - 2009-02-21 2:51 AM

>>>How bout 1955, but stil just as hansome as ever

Doc - I gotta ask this --- for the record, mind you ---

Just what is the brown tinge on those photos caused by?

I believe it is just oxidisation of the photographic paper used back in those days. All my recruit days ( 1979 ) have the same problem.
Blue *_*
miss lumpy bumps
Posted 2009-02-22 1:15 PM (#24524 - in reply to #24452)

COMSUBBBS

This is a newspaper article and photo of Garry when he graduated from Nuclear Power School, Mare Island in 1965.

Excuse me..."John Garry".

Edited by miss lumpy bumps 2009-02-22 4:21 PM

(Navy Graduates John Lynn-newspaper article-1A.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Navy Graduates John Lynn-newspaper article-1A.jpg (44KB - 566 downloads)
John Bay
Posted 2009-02-22 3:31 PM (#24525 - in reply to #24524)
Old Salt

No, That's John!
PEP
Posted 2009-02-22 5:56 PM (#24526 - in reply to #24452)

Senior Crew

I really have to chuckle when I read what others have posted. Yep it's hard to recognize the one in the mirror compared to those crazy days of our youth but just think what the education that goes along with that reflection in the mirror. If we only knew then what we have learned now, naw still wouldn't have done anything different I don't think. It was just too much fun getting this education that I wouldn't want to leave that out also. B U T
one thing does come to mind at the moment and believe me I mean no disrespect by no means but I don't know how to contact Dex except for this BBS which it seems is the only one that he visits regularly.
Once upon a time several years back, Dex totally misunderstood my intentions concerning a post that I made. I've comented several times since wishing him well especially when he experienced the loss of his soulmate, the beautiful and wonderful metric built blond. I say it that way because I don't think I can spell her name correctly and I don't want to take a chance of any misunderstanding again especially this late in our lives.
the guy that Dex got on my case about sitting around just telling old war stories, half were probably made up or so he thought. 30 mins ago I was informed that the guy whom I was referring to in my post lost his battle with CANCER! ! ! ! Again with that nasty illness, keeps popping up more and more it seems and I get so angry that some are so immune to the effects that has had on not only the one who is doing the battle but also on those who are helping in the only way possible, by prayer, moral support for him and family and close friends especially because we are still here and in a way, very selfish way actually, I wish in a way that it was me but then my brain jumps back into a reality check and I begin to ponder again just why I THINK that I'm still here. So many things come to mind but God is the only one who knows the full gameplan and we just have to have patience and continue on.
Dex I don't know what else I could possibly do except to appologize to you again because I never have and never will wish anything for you except for well wishes and comfort in your own being. I guess in my round about way I'm just saying that to assume anything is asking for confusion and more than likely a wrong conclusion and I don't mean only in this one instance but in everyday life. If for some reason I don't feel like I've got the full story or explaination, I feel benefit of the doubt is always in order. Exceptions to every rule granted and the biggest I can think of at the moment is our President, who has/hasn't made things PERFECTLY CLEAR as he has promised to do which only produces more questions and so on and so on and so on, then there's the train reaction. It's gotta stop somewhere but nobody knows where!
there goes my mind again, not staying on topic. thats getting harder and harder to do I think. For whatever reasons thats just something else me and a whole lot of others have to just deal with and accept and especially to have patience for others with the same or simular affliction.
Nuff said.
Here's to you Dex, thank you for giving us a chance to read and relive parts of our youths only you could express in terms all of us can and do relate to and that is very very much appreciated!
Later gator
PEP & Lucy
subvetss
Posted 2009-02-23 4:58 PM (#24555 - in reply to #24452)
Senior Crew

Now I haven't changed much in 53 years. Most of the hair is gone, what's left is white, along with a beard and maybe a bit of a beer belly plus about an extra 80lbs distributed here and there. But I can still fit into that neckerchief.

(sub stuff sm090.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments sub stuff sm090.jpg (70KB - 549 downloads)
joe griffith
Posted 2009-02-23 7:08 PM (#24557 - in reply to #24452)

Mess cooking

I remember that good looking guy above Subvets ( Better known as Joe Most). We were young and dumb and full of *** . Oh never mind!. He remembers more of those years than I do. Selective memory I guess. I treasure my years aboad the Grampus. I got a real quick education my years aboard the boat. Would not want to repeat them , But treasure them. No I'm not the same guy i see in the mirror. Just happy to be alive and well at the ripe old age of 71. Just trying to maintain my image as a sexy senior citizen.
Griff
BlackBeard
Posted 2009-02-23 8:38 PM (#24563 - in reply to #24452)

Great Sage of the Sea

78 and then 06. I like the 06 picture better because of the Angel in my arms that saved my life. The second picture was taken two days before she gave me a new kidney.

Edited by BlackBeard 2009-02-23 8:51 PM

(BB.JPG)

(seanGB.less.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments BB.JPG (5KB - 590 downloads)
Attachments seanGB.less.jpg (40KB - 616 downloads)
Corabelle
Posted 2009-02-23 11:00 PM (#24568 - in reply to #24563)

COMSUBBBS

I like the second picture better, too. I think it's because of the wonderful love story you told, telling of your wife's gift of life. Also wonderful that she was a match. Are you sure you're not related by blood?

Just kidding - sorta.

Cora
miss lumpy bumps
Posted 2009-02-24 10:01 AM (#24591 - in reply to #24563)

COMSUBBBS

I know I posted what "JOHN GARRY" looked like in '65...and you all know what I looked like "100 years ago"...btw, that was my HS Senior photo...circa 1969...and Sean, that is a wonderful photo of you and "YOUR ANGEL"...

Here is John Garry and I, with my Dad on Nov. 17, 1979, the day he "saved" me...and in 2007 at Snoqualmie Falls, WA. State...you be quiet, Ric.

(Nov. 17, 1979AB.JPG)

(Patti & Garry at Snoqualmie Falls, Eastern WA, Sept. 2007-1A1.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Nov. 17, 1979AB.JPG (89KB - 626 downloads)
Attachments Patti & Garry at Snoqualmie Falls, Eastern WA, Sept. 2007-1A1.JPG (43KB - 618 downloads)
BlackBeard
Posted 2009-02-24 12:05 PM (#24596 - in reply to #24452)

Great Sage of the Sea

Ha! Cora. That's been suggested before.
The anti-rejection therapy has gotten so good that I was a match for the the first three volunteers that got tested.
There are three tests, First is that your blood type has to match.
Second is a go/no-go rejection test where they combine the cells of each person (more complicated than that) and see if rejection occurs.
The third test is a match test to see how compatible you are. Six out of Six is a perfect match but with the advances in rejection therapy they will even transplant a zero/six result if they need to. That recipient will just need to be on stronger doses of the many daily drugs, and likely have more complications to deal with (because of the increased rejection doses.)
And GB is doing fine and has had no complications from the donation at all.

BB
PEP
Posted 2009-02-24 12:51 PM (#24597 - in reply to #24563)

Senior Crew

Ralph, all of the wonderful stories are made from love some mandatory examples but what I see in you and your lovely soulmates eyes really tell the true meaning, something unfortunately most on this upsidedown planet seem to take for granted and taking something so wonderful as a Gift from GOD for granted just ain't in the cards. I won't post any incriminating evidence because Holloween is overwith and don't want to scare any of the younger lurkers around here.
Nice break in my chilly day but time to eat some pills and go horiztonal again for awhile.
Here's to ya'll. May youse people have many more fantastic testimonies to come!
PEP & Lucy

Now Lucy is very photogenic tho Hum....
BlackBeard
Posted 2009-02-24 1:03 PM (#24599 - in reply to #24452)

Great Sage of the Sea

I'm gonna guess you were talking to me Pep as I don't see any pictures posted by Ralph. You may not remember, but you met GB when we sat down with Sue on the porch during the Bash.
Take Care Pep, get some rest.

BB
Ralph Luther
Posted 2009-02-24 1:44 PM (#24601 - in reply to #24599)
COMSUBBBS

One of these days I'm going to learn the picture posting trick and then look out. I'll put you all to shame and dazzle the ladies.
MAD DOG
Posted 2009-02-24 5:46 PM (#24606 - in reply to #24452)

Master and Commander

I haven't changed much.

Edited by MAD DOG 2009-02-24 5:59 PM

(Young dude.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Young dude.jpg (37KB - 535 downloads)
PEP
Posted 2009-02-24 7:34 PM (#24607 - in reply to #24599)

Senior Crew

WOW I appologize! I stand humbly corrected. What I said still stands. Nothing but a warm and fuzzy feeling, Not too shabby!
PEP
Doc Gardner
Posted 2009-02-24 7:44 PM (#24608 - in reply to #24452)

Master and Commander

You mean I don't look like this anymore? Where's my glasses so I can check it out.

(Fred&PatHomefromRVN.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Fred&PatHomefromRVN.jpg (64KB - 568 downloads)
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software