Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: "I don't know why we have to be down here on this hold down exercise(at the 60th hour). Hell, I went through this on the Thresher (SS 200) during WW ll with a Nip Sea Going Tug hooked onto our screw guards, trying to lift our butts out of the water. They didn't get us then, and these Tin Cans (ours) ain't going to get us now." -- "Hambone" Hamilton SD1 (SS). "Hambone" made 13 war patrols on USS Remora, SS-487, uttered these words in July 1957 during a hold down exercise off Kobe Japan.
Did you know this? (nsr)
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Ric
Posted 2009-02-22 6:01 PM (#24527)

Plankowner

Subject: Did you know this? (nsr)

I own a couple of them and like them a lot. How many others out there?

=========================================================

History of the Aloha shirt

October 8, 2008 12:02 PM • by Learn about Hawaii

It was during the time of the 19th century when the early Western missionaries took notice of the need to have the natives be properly clothed in preparation for their conversion to Christianity. The shirts with flamboyant colors and tropical prints were conceptualized. But it wasn't until the mid-1930 when it went into full production.

Research discovers stories of a Waikiki, Honolulu Chinese merchant by the name of Mr. Ellery Chun and owner of King-Smith Clothiers and Dry Goods, who was believed to be the pioneer of the Aloha Shirt. Along with his sister, Ethel Chun Lum, they manufactured the first vibrantly colored, floral, short-sleeved shirt from left-over kimono fabric.

It instantly became a hit to local residents such as the surfers, beach boys and most especially to tourists who were always looking for exotic souvenirs. It became a serious business for artists and tailors alike. Designs and the fabric of choice varied. Soon it became a trademark of the Hawaiian spirit and reflected the sunny disposition of the "aloha" greeting,

One of the first manufacturers of the Aloha Shirt was the Kamehameha Garment Company. They were the ones who initiated large shipments of the Aloha Shirt to the mainland in 1960, branded them as "Made in Hawaii" and were sold out right away. Other early shirt labels included names like Musa Shiya, Watamulls, Kahala, Surfriders, Alfred Shaheen, Duke Kahanamoku, etc.

Not only was the Aloha Shirt popular in Hawaii, famous celebrities immediately joined the bandwagon and started to go Hawaiian. These celebrities included the undisputed king of rock and roll Elvis Presley, John Wayne, Montgomery Clift and the legendary Frank Sinatra. US President Harry Truman also loved the Aloha Shirt and was even featured on the cover of Life Magazine wearing one.

Up until today, the Aloha Shirt still stands true to its original concept of conveying the rich images of the Hawaiian island, and will remain as the unique souvenir to boast of what the aloha spirit is all about.

Tom Conlon
Posted 2009-02-22 8:24 PM (#24528 - in reply to #24527)
Old Salt

Subject: RE: Did you know this? (nsr)

I own several. I wear them a*lot* Sometimes I get strange looks here in NJ. :-)

I even bought one of the ones that were offered by Bowfin Base.
GaryKC
Posted 2009-02-22 9:11 PM (#24529 - in reply to #24527)

COMSUBBBS

I've been wearing them for many years, Ric- be careful, you're about to hit the one K threshold.
Ric
Posted 2009-02-22 9:18 PM (#24530 - in reply to #24529)

Plankowner

I've been wearing them for years too. I lived and worked in Hawaii after I got off active duty....
MAD DOG
Posted 2009-02-22 9:26 PM (#24531 - in reply to #24527)

Master and Commander

I used to have a closet full but my ex sent most of them back to her brother
in Ewa Beach when I got transferred to Chasn.(bless her stupid heart).
Still have a few.My favorite is my Jimmy Buffet shirt(adorned with parrots,of
course).
Coyote
Posted 2009-02-23 9:48 PM (#24566 - in reply to #24527)

Master and Commander

They're worn frequently down here in Florida.

I still have one of the "classics" from Honolulu in 1962, and own several more, including one I bought last week at the Hale Koa in Waikiki.

DBF
Coyote
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software