Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: "He is the Submarine Sailor who served in silence, but in his silence, has heard the laughter of future generations.” -- Glenn Harris
'Taking Chance'
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

subvetss
Posted 2009-02-23 7:19 AM (#24537)
Senior Crew

Subject: 'Taking Chance'

I just saw this movie on HBO. It is one of the most moving films dealing with military I have ever seen. It sure brought me back to the reality of what serving my country is all about.
If you are military you must see this film. If you can sit through it without tears forming in your eyes than you missed something.
Joe'the'Most
miss lumpy bumps
Posted 2009-02-26 1:17 PM (#24660 - in reply to #24537)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: RE: 'Taking Chance'

Joe, you are so right...this is one of the most moving...and beautiful stories...and if any of my words seem to have come out askew, attribute it to the tears that are now falling...
God bless them all.

Edited by miss lumpy bumps 2009-02-26 1:18 PM
subvetss
Posted 2009-03-02 12:17 PM (#24738 - in reply to #24660)
Senior Crew

Patti,
195 views of this thread and only your reply. Guess most missed the show and some just don't want to comment. Oh well!
BTW: We (Liberty High School) played Wappingers in football on your field back in 1953 and I broke 2 ribs during the game. The ambulance came right on the field to pick me up and take me to your hospital to get taped up. I think I saw you in the stands.
Joe'the'Most
Tom McNulty
Posted 2009-03-02 2:01 PM (#24740 - in reply to #24537)

Master and Commander

I finally saw the movie yesterday. It's refreshing to see something come out of the entertainment industry showing a real life moving tribute without special effects or gratuitous sex and violence. The show was well written and acted. I too would recommend it to anyone.
Stoops
Posted 2009-03-02 2:35 PM (#24741 - in reply to #24738)
Master and Commander

Joe, I realized many many years ago there is not much worth looking at, let alone paying for, coming out of Hollywood. I don't watch prime time tv for the same reason.

If, somehow, there is a movie worth watching that won't offend me, based on a recommendation from someone I respect, I'll probably check it out, but I'm not going to pay money only to be reassured Hollywood is a bunch of dolts for the most part and feel stupid for falling for some self centered critic giving it a rating. Movie critics are only a step above politicians and trial lawyers.

Thanks for recommending Taking Chance, but not the guilt trip.

I'll check it out.

miss lumpy bumps
Posted 2009-03-02 2:43 PM (#24742 - in reply to #24738)

COMSUBBBS

Joe, since I last posted, I have watched it 3 more times...thinking every time I saw it, I missed something...but what it was...my tears falling each time. 

I don't think you saw me in the stands in 1953, I was only 2 years old...and I lived down in Westchester Co., in what is now called "Sleepy Hollow" (North Tarrytown).  But it was a nice of you to think you may have seen me...Thank you, but sorry to hear that you broke two ribs.  I don't think they do that now, as the field is now made of astro-turf.
steamboat
Posted 2009-03-02 2:57 PM (#24745 - in reply to #24537)
Master and Commander

I have yet to see the flic, but have it in my que on Netflix. But as I understand the plot, I personally have no problem with tastfull media coverage of military honors being given to a fallen hero. Nobody pays tribute to our fallen soldiers, sailors, airmen and marines like we do for ourselves. There is a price to pay for our freedoms and it should not be hidden from our view. Only a few of us are fighting these wars, the rest of America is at the mall. This flic should be mandatory viewing for all politicians who vote to go to war.
Steamboat sends
Runner485
Posted 2009-03-03 7:33 AM (#24752 - in reply to #24740)

COMSUBBBS

Tom McNulty - 2009-03-02 2:01 PMI finally saw the movie yesterday. It's refreshing to see something come out of the entertainment industry showing a real life moving tribute without special effects or gratuitous sex and violence. The show was well written and acted. I too would recommend it to anyone.

Actually Tom, I prefer movies with gratuitous violence and especially sex...
But I did see Taking Chance and thought it was one hell of a movie. Kevin Bacon played his part with dignity and grace. I especially was touched, how the people around Bacon came to show their respect also....ie; plane passengers, baggage handlers etal...One of the better movies to come out of Bollywood.
subvetss
Posted 2009-03-03 8:16 AM (#24753 - in reply to #24537)
Senior Crew

Stoops,
Dave, you know I have been around a long time. I made that last post hoping it would draw out some other comments that would confirm my feelings. I believe it worked.
I meant no slight to you or anyone else Buddy. If you now read some of the other posts you might understand how well done this movie is done and will see for yourself that it's a good thing.
Joe'the'Most
Stoops
Posted 2009-03-03 4:32 PM (#24760 - in reply to #24537)
Master and Commander

I know you, Joe, from when you held the first real bash.. I know you weren't attacking me personally at all.....I just wanted to be on record as not accepting any guilt because I haven't commented on something that I would not be exposed to.....

No offense really taken and I hope you didn't take offense at my post. If you did, I apologize.

subvetss
Posted 2009-03-04 6:59 AM (#24779 - in reply to #24760)
Senior Crew

No problem Dave.
Later Shipmate,
Joe'the'Most
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0