Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: Habitability is heavily stressed in the construction of modern submarines. Specially designed color schemes, mechanical conveniences, air conditioning, and the best chow in the Navy are supplied to make the vessels more livable. A full time staff is maintained by Electric Boat Division to work out 'human engineering' problems.
BDU's
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

steamboat
Posted 2009-02-23 8:40 AM (#24541)
Master and Commander

Subject: BDU's

The thing that boggles my mind is that elisted and O-gangers wear the same uniform, just like all the other services. The Navy has always been steepted in thier cast system, more so than any other military services. No fraterization between enlisted and officer, etc. This single work uniform for all rates and ranks really breaks down that barrier. I am shocked that the O-gang bought into it. And the poor Chief, where is he left? Does he go back to the days of Dungaree Chiefs?
Aside from the praticality of the new work uniform, the more important issue is the culture shock it would seem to have on the rank-conscience Navy.
Personally it will take me a while to figure this whole thing out.... it may be a good thing in the long run! (And as an old DBF'er I can't believe I am saying that).
Steamboat sends
Sean705
Posted 2009-02-23 1:03 PM (#24548 - in reply to #24541)

Mess cooking

Subject: RE: BDU's

I'm not sure about this new uniform, but I was in (actually standing topside watch) during 9/11. After that day, the submarine force (and the navy as a whole) started beefing up topside sentries. We started having an armed below deck watch, topside was locked and loaded, and a pier sentry was stationed with either an M-16 or 12 guage. When we stood topside watch in some ports, we were required to wear BDU (the old jungle camo varity, like seen in the picture attached). I would imagine that this is only for topside watch standing, and mainly in forign ports. It's probably just one more thing guys will have to try and cram into a rackpan or side locker during deployments now, but I doubt it will take over as some sort of new working uniform.

(navy.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments navy.jpg (80KB - 596 downloads)
steamboat
Posted 2009-02-23 1:31 PM (#24549 - in reply to #24548)
Master and Commander

Sean, I fully understand the stepped up security , but why the change of uniform? Does an M-16 appear any more intimadating with BDU's than dungarees?
So... you don't think they will be accepted by all hands? That sounds more plausable. Like I said above, I can't see all O-gangers wearing same as an E-3. Not in "this man's Navy."
But it does pose complications for stuffing your seabag. Are dungarees out all together?

Steamboat sends
Land Lubber
Posted 2009-02-23 2:14 PM (#24551 - in reply to #24549)
Old Salt

Hey Steamboat, When the Navy first started talking about the new uniform the primary reason given for the new pattern was not to conceal a person but to conceal the stains caused by the dripping of the gray and black paint used. The rational was the cost of cleaning and replacement of the work uniforms. Now if that is the reason why on earth would an officer need to wear a uniform that hid paint drops. I know I've never heard of an officer involved in painting a ship.
The only reason for having officers wear the same uniform, that I can think of is the cost savings in providing one type of uniform to everyone. But, and I may be wrong, I thought enlisted persons had their uniforms provided by the government and officers had to provide their own, or at least provide some of the cost of their uniforms.
But maybe, after some time has passed, the old uniforms will make a comback. Remember in the 70's the Navy switched from the traditional "Cracker Jack" uniforms to the one that made everyone look like a Cheif? Also look at the Army. The new hat can be a beret. I still haven't got used to that. Everytime I see the beret and the pants bloused into the black boots I think Grenn Beret.
Steve
Sean705
Posted 2009-02-23 3:24 PM (#24553 - in reply to #24549)

Mess cooking

steamboat - 2009-02-23 4:31 PM

Sean, I fully understand the stepped up security , but why the change of uniform? Does an M-16 appear any more intimadating with BDU's than dungarees?
So... you don't think they will be accepted by all hands? That sounds more plausable. Like I said above, I can't see all O-gangers wearing same as an E-3. Not in "this man's Navy."
But it does pose complications for stuffing your seabag. Are dungarees out all together?

Steamboat sends

You, like all other blue jackets, asked the very same question. The running joke was, I hope there's a bush on the pier we can hide behind! I don't know the reasoning, other than perhaps they thought the camo looked more intimidating to anyone thinking about trying to sneak past the topside watches? I really think that, for the sub force, it will just mean a new topside watch uniform, that will eventually get phased out (at least I HOPE it's phase out).
Donald L. Johnson
Posted 2009-02-23 8:42 PM (#24564 - in reply to #24549)

Great Sage of the Sea

steamboat - 2009-02-23 11:31 AM

Steamboat sends

Aren't submariners doing that when we shift to coveralls (aka "poopy suits") underway?
The only thing that distinguishes Officers and Chiefs from raghats is the khaki belt and/or collar tab rank devices.

But yeah, maybe the more rank-conscious skimmers and airdales will have problems adjusting.

The new blue-grey camo BDU-type uniform replaces dungarees/utilities and wash khaki working uniforms.

Sean705
Posted 2009-02-24 3:55 AM (#24570 - in reply to #24541)

Mess cooking

Wow, I was way off, sorry about that. I just read the new regs, I thought this was going to be just another optional uniform, I didn't realize this was actually replacing dungarees.... That's just sad.
carlb
Posted 2009-02-24 10:25 AM (#24592 - in reply to #24541)
Senior Crew

Do you think the legs are bell bottom???
Ralph Luther
Posted 2009-02-24 10:46 AM (#24594 - in reply to #24551)
COMSUBBBS

With officers and enlisted wearing the same cammo, a sniper can't tell the differance.
The Brat
Posted 2009-02-24 5:00 PM (#24604 - in reply to #24548)

Crew

Subject: RE: BDU's (Greens or Woodlands)

The Woodland camo BDU's was my working uniform as an MA. The the only time I ever wore any other uniform was on special ocassions that did not require I be armed, The minute my cammies were issued, my dungarees vanished, never to be seen again. I did however hang on to my coveralls and even wore them to a Torsk work weekend back in '06!

The Seabees and MA's will continue to wear the Woodland and Desert Sand BDU's, while all others are going to the new dot matrix blue/grey, tuck in or leave out BDU. The new style is replacing the dungarees and coveralls, and the class A working uniform ihas been replaced with s a cross between the USMC and Air Force uniform. YUCK!!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software