Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: USS TRITON, the only American made twin reactor submarine ever built, on May 10, 1960, completed the first totally submerged non-trivial circumnavigation of the world when she followed the route of Ferdinand Magellan for 36,000 miles during 84 days beneath the surface.
Where did old diesel submariners go?
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

joe griffith
Posted 2009-02-23 7:21 PM (#24558)

Mess cooking

Subject: Where did old diesel submariners go?

joe griffith
Posted 2009-02-23 7:40 PM (#24560 - in reply to #24558)

Mess cooking

Subject: RE: Where did old diesel submariners go?

Pushed the wrong buttons while drinking don't work too good! Oh well!
When I left the Grampus in 1958 I went to school on the GI bill. Then went to work for General Dynamics on the Atlas Missile program for 3 years, Then with Boeing on the minuteman Missile program a couple and then the Saturn program. Then went back to school again (I'm a slow learner). Then With TWA for 35 years and then AA for 6 months. Worked on Subs, Missiles and Aircraft. I sometimes think I've done it all. Retired from working for wages at 65 and now do whatever I please. Wife passed 7 years ago, Kids all grown and It's just me again. Life is good!
Griff
PatH
Posted 2009-02-23 8:16 PM (#24561 - in reply to #24558)

Great Sage of the Sea

Joe, you'll find about 13,000 submariners in US Submarine Veterans (USSVI).  About 9,000 of them are diesel boaters.  There are 156 chapters (we call them bases) around the U.S.  Visit  www.ussvi.org and click the FIND A BASE button, or send me an email at nc@ussvi.org  We exist to see that the men killed in subs (65 boats and over 4,000 men) are never forgotten, and we gather to have good times and polish up our sea stories.

There are 97 men in USSVI who served aboard Grampus.  Drop on down the hatch and become #98.

Roy Ator
Posted 2009-02-23 8:34 PM (#24562 - in reply to #24560)

Great Sage of the Sea

<style type="text/css"> <!-- @page { size: 8.5in 11in; margin: 0.79in } P { margin-bottom: 0.08in } -->

Well Joe, we be headed straight to hell if'n we don't clean up our act.Your post caused me to reflect on my path as well. I'm a diesel boat sailor at heart although I paid my dues in the FBM program. I qualified both Silver & Gold on diesels. I left the USN in '73via a transfer to the retired list as an LT, having served 17 years enlisted  (thru E-8), 1 year as warrant to 4 years commissioned service as CWO, ENS, JG & finally LT. I got promoted so fast it was hard to remember how to sign my check at the commissary! As a civilian, I went to college for 33 months and got one of them thar sheepskins. It did improve the salary offers. I then became one of them marine seismic geophysicists surveying beneath the ocean floor(hunting for that crude & gas) for a couple of companies. It was a blast with lots of international first class travel & I got darned well compensated for it too. Damn, what memories!

Anyhow,the day of reckoning came along and I discovered bluntly that I had cardiac problems. ARCO offered me a pink slip (early retirement) in'86. I didn't hesitate to accept it. Then I had time to attend my American Legion & VFW meetings... I got hooked on volunteer work.Love it! [and by then could afford it as well]. I'm still with the love of my life and we are in our 53rd year. I had a quintuple bypass in '98 and she is a major cancer patient. We are still active with volunteer work with the VFW and Sub Vets. And as you put it so well: “Life is Good!" 76 next birthday if I make it~

edited to clean up some pasting scrambles you'll get the jist of it anyway ~

Edited by Roy Ator 2009-02-23 8:39 PM
Corabelle
Posted 2009-02-23 10:54 PM (#24567 - in reply to #24560)

COMSUBBBS

Wife passed 7 years ago, Kids all grown and It's just me again. Life is good!
Griff

I'm sure you didn't mean that the way it sounds. I hope you didn't.

Cora
Runner485
Posted 2009-02-24 5:47 AM (#24573 - in reply to #24560)

COMSUBBBS

Welcome aboard Joe. Lots of diesel boat sailors here. We just sleep later in the morning than the boomer & SSN guys.

Pier 22 inhabitant too. Sirago '61-64 
Ralph Luther
Posted 2009-02-24 5:59 AM (#24574 - in reply to #24560)
COMSUBBBS

The life of 6 Saturdays and 1 Sunday sure is great. Welcome to the Crews Mess, Griff. Always good to see a new face in the crowd. Check out USSVI close to you. They are a good bunch of Sea Story tellers and the BS is only ankle deep I'm a Life Member and also Life Member Charleston Base. Come on and jump right in the water is fine.
subvetss
Posted 2009-02-24 7:58 AM (#24578 - in reply to #24558)
Senior Crew

Hey Guys! Grif (as we called him on the boat) and I , also my brother, Ken, served together on the Grampus. Unlike some of you dorks Grif was a really good shipmate. Both of us being electricians we spend many romantic hours in the wells during an equalizer charge.
I miss you Grif.
Joe'the'Most
Ric
Posted 2009-02-24 8:30 AM (#24582 - in reply to #24578)

Plankowner

...so,.... did you consummate the marriage while down there making out?
miss lumpy bumps
Posted 2009-02-24 9:23 AM (#24587 - in reply to #24558)

COMSUBBBS

First off, Joe...WELCOME ABOARD...and what everyone has said here about joining the USSVI...do it.  It's a great organization...and does a lot of good works...plus, you get to have a great time "socializing" and getting to know the membership...even if they are reprobates...all in all, it is a great group of people...they even let scatterbrains like me in...
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software