Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: "Another Running Gun battle.....Destroyer Gunning, Wahoo Running” -- Wahoo (SS-238) after hitting a convoy, now out of fish, and heading for the barn......
The American form of government and its place in history
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

PatH
Posted 2009-02-27 9:32 AM (#24676)

Great Sage of the Sea

Subject: The American form of government and its place in history

Tim VeArd sent this to me. I normally don’t post or email such things, but this one is so non-partisan and clear that I believe it should be seen by as many of our citizens as possible.  Since submariners are citizens of the first order, I hope you find it proper to post here as well. 

Tim says "This is a remarkably fascinating piece. It's the very best analysis and the clearest explanation I've ever seen of the forms of government. It's especially important vis-a-vis what's been happening to our country in more recent years. Every American, young and old, should understand this lesson if the United States is to survive. Pay particular attention to the fall of the Roman Empire and why it fell. Does it sound familiar?"

http://www.wimp.com/thegovernment

AtoZ
Posted 2009-03-01 4:11 PM (#24718 - in reply to #24676)

Great Sage of the Sea

Subject: RE: The American form of government and its place in history

Boy! What a well put together piece! In fact its so well done that its real easy to miss the con. There's a fallacy there that you can drive a truck, or for that matter a boomer, thru.

What the very talented author leaves out is where do these wonderful laws come from. They could come from:

A: A single exceptional individual, e.g. [in chronological order] Hammurabi, Moses, Jesus, Mohammed, Marx, Hitler, Chairman Mao.

B: An oligarchy, e.g. The Roman Senate, The Britiish House of Lords before they made them figureheads and put Commons in charge, The Reichstag, The Comintern.

C: The DEMOCRATICALLY ELECTED Representatives of the people.

We are a DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC as opposed to any of a whole bunch of other kinds of republics.

If this guy is trying to imply that that is the difference between our political parties i.e. Democratic & Republican, he's really got his head up his a*s.
PatH
Posted 2009-03-01 6:39 PM (#24719 - in reply to #24718)

Great Sage of the Sea

I think we are actually a constitutional republic.  Our system works, more or less, because it tries to balances the interests of the powerful political class, the powerful social elite and the vast middle class through our system of laws (checks and balances).  It is the countervailing forces at work between these three forces that provides a sounder and more stable government.  It is messy and runs to extremes on occasion, but it seems to be the best system of governance that has evolved here in the west.  It is when it runs to extremes in any direction that we must, as a people, be vigilant and push back.

Runner485
Posted 2009-03-02 10:12 AM (#24734 - in reply to #24719)

COMSUBBBS

Pat,

Thanks for the link. A nice reminder of who we are and what we are about.  A ominous prescient, that can certainly be seen in the signs of the fall of Rome to our present society.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software