Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: On August 17, 1958, the USS SKATE circumnavigated the globe in about fifty minutes. The SKATE was at a radius of about two miles from the North Pole at the time, and the distance traveled in the circumnavigation was about twelve miles.
Submarine Television Program
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

JrKrup, Skimmer
Posted 2009-02-27 12:04 PM (#24680)

Master and Commander

Subject: Submarine Television Program

National Geographic TV Channel (on cable) Thursday 5 Mar, 9PM (eastern), TV program BREAK IT DOWN. About the dismantling of what appears to be a Russian Akula boat.

The program repeats Saturday Mar 7 at 8PM and 11 PM (eastern)
JrKrup, Skimmer
Posted 2009-03-04 10:17 AM (#24783 - in reply to #24680)

Master and Commander

Subject: RE: Submarine Television Program

Just bringing thisto the top to remind everyone to watch.
Phils
Posted 2009-03-06 9:29 AM (#24834 - in reply to #24680)

Crew

Thanks Jon!!

I could easily have missed that program were it not for your post. I watched last night and it was good. Although probably the only one that frequents this site to admit it, I did not realize that the Akula was actually two pressure hulls inside one outer hull. I have wondered for years how the inside was on these big subs, including a swimming pool, and this show filled in many of the details and answered most of my questions.

BTW Dustin is doing well with a 2 yo son and wonderful wife and we see them frequently.

Phil
Sean705
Posted 2009-03-06 1:33 PM (#24836 - in reply to #24834)

Mess cooking

Phils - 2009-03-06 12:29 PM

Thanks Jon!!

I could easily have missed that program were it not for your post. I watched last night and it was good. Although probably the only one that frequents this site to admit it, I did not realize that the Akula was actually two pressure hulls inside one outer hull. I have wondered for years how the inside was on these big subs, including a swimming pool, and this show filled in many of the details and answered most of my questions.

BTW Dustin is doing well with a 2 yo son and wonderful wife and we see them frequently.

Phil

Phil,

If it was that large, it wasn't an Akula. The Akula was/is more similar in size to our LA class boats (If I am remembering correctly). If it was a twin hull boat it was most likely an Oscar or Typhoon.

Edited by Sean705 2009-03-06 1:33 PM
Phils
Posted 2009-03-09 12:25 PM (#24891 - in reply to #24836)

Crew

Phil,

If it was that large, it wasn't an Akula. The Akula was/is more similar in size to our LA class boats (If I am remembering correctly). If it was a twin hull boat it was most likely an Oscar or Typhoon.

Thanks for the clarification Sean. I had thought they'd "Akula" during the show but now I'd guess I just mis-remembered between the night and the next morning.

Phil
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software