Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: Probably the most expensive ballast ever carried by a ship was two tons of gold and eighteen tons of silver coins carried by the U.S. submarine TROUT while on a trip from Corregidor to Pearl Harbor early in World War II. TROUT had removed her moveable ballast to allow for a larger cargo of ammunition to be transported for the defenders on the embattled island. Lcdr. Fenno, TROUT's CO, planned on replacing the ballast with sand bags, but found none were available. The gold and silver from the Bank of the Philippines was substituted as ballast, which also solved the problem of removing the treasure to a safe place prior to invasion by the enemy.
More bragging...
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Launcher Lary
Posted 2009-03-10 12:19 PM (#24908)

Senior Crew

Subject: More bragging...

...I know that alot of you also have offspring that accomplish great things, wish that you'd share them with the world, I have no problem braggin on the accomplishments of my children.

In the past I have shared the times that my oldest daughter saved two men from drowning. Well my youngest daughter (the recently certified EMT) , well she recently started riding (part time) with the local ambulance, the other day while on duty she responded to a call of a heart attack. When they arrived he was gone and she (they) brought him back, they got him to the hospital breathing on his own and he was air lifted to UMass medical in Worcester, MA. The follow up was that he passed away later that night, but at least he lasted long enough to say goodbye and so did his family.

Billy Bob
Corabelle
Posted 2009-03-10 12:31 PM (#24910 - in reply to #24908)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: RE: More bragging...

That's interesting. I've often wondered how long survivors that are CPRed or Paddled live. My experience is that they don't - not very long anyway. With one exception (in my life). My ex-husband often told the story that during one of his several angioplastys, they used the paddles on him. He said that he could still hear, although he couldn't respond. He heard one of the team say, "We're losing him." He lived about eight years after that experience.

Cora

Edited by Corabelle 2009-03-11 5:03 PM
Land Lubber
Posted 2009-03-10 2:29 PM (#24915 - in reply to #24908)
Old Salt

Well Larry, you have a right to brag. Your daughter has entered a very emotionally tough field of work. I have had friends that were EMTs and some Paramedics and the stories they have to tell....
The young men and women like your daughter are true heros. They work all hours of the day and night, and literally hold life and death in their hands.
Good Job!!!!
Steve
Tom McNulty
Posted 2009-03-11 7:15 AM (#24931 - in reply to #24908)

Master and Commander

That's great BB. I was hoping your oldest would have received the Carnegie Medal. My Granfather was a Carnegie awardee and we still have a collage of the papers framed and the medal. Your daughter deserved one too.

Just what the hell are you doing with yourself these days? You still sucking on the government teet over at the CG Academy?
Ralph Luther
Posted 2009-03-11 8:50 AM (#24932 - in reply to #24908)
COMSUBBBS

Reason to be very proud, BB. Great on em!!!
Launcher Lary
Posted 2009-03-11 12:47 PM (#24938 - in reply to #24931)

Senior Crew

I agree, but what the hey, she also was nominated for the civilian version of the Medal of Honor. She was selected to represent Connecticut, but that was it, more worthy persons got it.

As for the sucking inquiry, the answer is YES, but I only like the smaller ones, they fit the mouth better. I'm looking for greener federal pastures though...

What about you, you old enough to retire ... yet?

Billy Bob
Tom McNulty
Posted 2009-03-11 1:45 PM (#24939 - in reply to #24938)

Master and Commander

Billy Bob, I'm still with my nose to the grindstone. I turned 65 last week and was going to pull the plug this Summer. The economy now says later on. My youngest wants to go to grad school now since she's marginally employed as a bartender in Manhattan. Things are pretty slow and the tips are becoming meager. So there goes some more outlay for her. I really don't mind though. She's a hard worker and has always carried more of her own weight than one could expect when she was an undergraduate. I only had to pay her tuition. I think I'd like to look for part time work as a security guard at Thee Doll House or some similar business. Take care and don't let the weight of the world give you a hernia.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software