Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: Nautilus has long been a popular name for a submarine. Some of the more famous of these are Robert Fulton's NAUTILUS (1800), Jules Verne's fictional Nautilus, and the NAUTILUS of Sir Hubert Wilkins in which he attempted a voyage to the North Pole under the ice (1931). There have also been three U.S. submarines of that name, including the world's first nuclear powered submarine built by the Electric Boat Division.
Medals
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Mac McCoy
Posted 2009-03-13 6:35 AM (#24974)
Senior Crew

Subject: Medals

I was recently talking to a Young Sailor that is in Nuc Power School here in Charleston and during our conversation he indicated that one could now earn a medal for doing volunteer work.

I was too stunned to question him further about the medal and was wondering if my hearing aids were working correctly.

My question is Do any of you know anything about this subject.
Curt
Posted 2009-03-13 6:40 AM (#24975 - in reply to #24974)

Old Salt

Subject: RE: Medals

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_Outstanding_Volunteer_Service_Medal
Ric
Posted 2009-03-13 6:45 AM (#24976 - in reply to #24974)

Plankowner

Could be true.
They toss you a handful just for being able to know general direction to point the pistol or pee in your white hat. I've seen guys who are nonquals from Bangor who have two or three rows before they hit their first boat. I was amazed when I was working at the Rusty Ruskie and we'd have shipping over ceremonies on board the number of ribbons I'd never seen before and the rows someone with only a few years would wear. I'd sailed with guys who joined in the 40's & 50's who had less than a current E-3 wears.
Mac McCoy
Posted 2009-03-13 7:23 AM (#24977 - in reply to #24975)
Senior Crew

Thanks Curt. I had done a internet search and hadnt been able to come up with the information. HUMMM all those young sailors going thru Nuc Power School and the Clamagore needing help. Maybe I can get something started.
Darrin
Posted 2009-03-13 1:45 PM (#24982 - in reply to #24974)

Great Sage of the Sea

I know for the Army it is 100 hours of community service you get a "Volunteer Service Award" or something along that lines, while it is just another piece of geedunk ribbon it does show that the sailor or soldier is giving back to the community and not just spreading his pollen to the local female population and in the military today for some of these kids they have to have something like that to show that they are not only good soldiers/sailors but pillars in the community just to get an advantage when it comes time for promotion.
The Brat
Posted 2009-03-13 4:37 PM (#24983 - in reply to #24974)

Crew

The Outstanding Voluntary Service medal/ribbon isn't as easy to achive for some as it is for others due to the vague definition. Believe it or not, it was one I really wanted because it is a testament of how much of yourself you dedicate to your community and other worthy causes. Plus, in today's world, it looks fantastic on a civilian resume. After submitting over 300 hrs of valid community service, with supporting letters and documents which included several recues due to severe flooding, my Commander did not put me in for it. However, I had another Commander who put me in for a NAM for doing something that to me, wasn't deserving of such an award. Go figure......
I'd still of rather had the OVSM!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software