Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: A submarine often navigates by sound when submerged. Sound can travel 3,000 nautical miles or more through water.
DBF IC & EM's
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Runner485
Posted 2009-03-14 1:03 PM (#24998)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: DBF IC & EM's

Ok you guys....a little qual time here. I don't know why I thought of this today while on my walk, but I did, so I need a specific answer, to get a sig on my memory's qual card.
The Venturi, which on SS485, was on the aft bulkhead of the fwd battery above the fwd battery well. I know it assisted in the movement of air across the batteries, how specifically did it work? If my memory serves me, it was a funnel that was narrow at the bottom and wide at the top. Or was it reversed and that shape helped force the air out faster????I'm out on a limb here now...

Since Sirago was a 4 battery boat, was it necessary to provide another venturi somewhere else? Like in the aft battery?
Bear
Posted 2009-03-14 2:21 PM (#25000 - in reply to #24998)

Great Sage of the Sea

Subject: RE: DBF IC & EM's

can a nuc MM give it a shot    Most Venturis are used as a flow meter the flow of a gas or liquid is forced through a nozzle which increases it pressure going through then when it exits the nozzle it causes a a vacuum as it expands which is measured and the information is used to calculate the volume flow of the gas or liquid Nuc boats had batteries as well and the air flow was measured using a venturi. Also the same basic principle (Nozzle effect) is used in an eductor (trash/bilge pump) Also same forces are used in jet skis etc. just different application of the nozzle.
Stoops
Posted 2009-03-14 3:20 PM (#25001 - in reply to #25000)
Master and Commander

Bear has it exactly right. They are also used in the steam plant as air ejectors to help draw a vacuum in the condensers when bringing steam into the engine room.
Any time you have a pressure drop across a device, you can use it for a flow measurement. (in a nutshell, flow is proportional to the square root of the differential pressure across the venturi, orifice, etc. Venturis are more expensive because they are precisely machined. In most industrial uses, orifice plates are used and clamped between a set of flanges. For steam, and other fluids, assemblies are made with the upstream and downstream piping sections to be at optimum length to let the flow straighten out and in many cases, there are extra penetrations in the flanges to read temperature and pressure so that the flow measurement may be compensated. On a dbf venturis were used to measure the air flow across the battery well and during battery charging, there was a minimum air flow required to maintain the charge.

Whole books have been written on using orifices, nozzles, and venturis for accurate flow measurement, the most authoritative one by Spinks.

New technology, using the coriolis effect has made very accurate mass flow rates affordable and can be used in custody transfer measurements and measures the mass flow, eliminating the new to compensate steam flow from volumetric flow to mass flow.

Yeah, I know, you wanted to know what time it was and I started telling you how to build a watch.........
GaryKC
Posted 2009-03-14 8:26 PM (#25005 - in reply to #25001)

COMSUBBBS

Thanks Dave,

I always thought I was the only one to pay to have the coriolis effect performed. Your timing was perfect.

609EM1
Posted 2009-03-14 10:25 PM (#25006 - in reply to #24998)

Senior Crew

Here is an excellent animated demo showing pressure,flow,velocity,etc in a venturi.

http://home.earthlink.net/~mmc1919/venturi.html

Bear
Posted 2009-03-15 9:39 AM (#25013 - in reply to #24998)

Great Sage of the Sea

wasn't going tobring up air ejectors since it was a DBF
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software