Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: The USS Cusk was only one of four US submarines to ever receive the Republic of Vietnam Meritorious Unit Citation - Gallantry for her service in Vietnam. Cusk, was awarded seven awards during 1965, 1967, 1968, and 1969,The other three boats were the USS Sculpin (SSN-590), the USS Razorback (SS-394), two awards during 1967 and 1969, and the USS Ronquil (SS-396), two awards during 1966-67 and 1968.
Pay It Forward????
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

crystal
Posted 2009-03-14 5:42 PM (#25003)

Master and Commander

Subject: Pay It Forward????

O.K., here's the scenario:  One of our frequent posters sent a $50.00 check to us at Submarine Memorabilia with the notation "Just Because"... Now I know it isn't because I'm the nicest guy in the world (close, but), so rather than leaving the $50 sitting here much longer, I'm asking you shipmates for some input on how to use this to start a "pay it forward" event... In other words what ideas can you come up with to use this as "seed money" to do further good (I'm already honored just getting it)... All ideas appreciated.... 

steamboat
Posted 2009-03-15 4:32 AM (#25008 - in reply to #25003)
Master and Commander

Subject: RE: Pay It Forward????

How about paying for expenses (personal or otherwise) occured in past and future for shipping and handling of the war patrol reports? That is a tremendous deed that you are doing that deserves reward!
Steamboat sends
crystal
Posted 2009-03-15 6:31 AM (#25011 - in reply to #25003)

Master and Commander

That's a nice thought (and I appreciate it) but one that has already been taken care of by Dan and I when we started the whole war patrols project under Submarine Memorabilia - it was for the WWII guys to start getting their deserved attention and fortunately some of it has happened and is still in the works...

Ski had a great idea that will pay off in the years to come with a positive recognition of the submarine fleet with his patch program to be displayed in Branson.  This is the type of project we need to keep thinking of and initiating.  We've made some monumental strides in these kinds of activities simply because we are all connected through the internet.

I'm hoping that this can be a whole different project in the making, one that we all can look back at and say that we were ALL part of.  I don't necessarily mean financial alone because good ideas are worth more than money when it comes to charitable acts, and fund raising alone is sometimes a turn off (especially in these times) - BUT a good idea coupled with this activity is much easier to accomplish... Put on those thinking caps!

steamboat
Posted 2009-03-15 11:22 AM (#25014 - in reply to #25011)
Master and Commander

Another project that I can think of is the preservation of original WWII submarine battle flags, particularily those still in private hands. If they are not properly preserved very soon, they will simply crumble and be lost forever. I don't know how to find nor approach private owners, other than through our USSVI and Subvets WWII organisations, perhaps someone else does. But if we could offer help with preservation techniques now, with the caviate that the flag will ultimately be turned over to a Submarine museum when the private owner feels the time is right, it would be less threatening.
I personally feel very strongly about these flags. I equate them to the Company and Regimental battle flags of the Civil War. They hold a sacred place in our collective history. Like the CW battle flags, our WWII flags were sewn by the men who fought under them, bled and died under them. For most of the WWII boats, the battle flags may be the only tangible thing left. I have done a little research on preservation techniques, and we can do a lot with little funding for each flag, but I would defer to those experts in the field of textile preservation and museum curators.
What say you all?
Steamboat sends
BlackBeard
Posted 2009-03-15 12:11 PM (#25016 - in reply to #25003)

Great Sage of the Sea

Kapss for Kidss. A wonderful program providing young cancer patients with an honorary Submariner certificate, hat, and conversation with our shipmates like Ted Hussey -- who uphold the creed by sharing our history with them.

BB
Ralph Luther
Posted 2009-03-15 1:22 PM (#25020 - in reply to #25014)
COMSUBBBS

Great idea, Steamboat.
crystal
Posted 2009-03-15 2:34 PM (#25022 - in reply to #25003)

Master and Commander

Catching up a bit:  John's (Steamboat) idea re: to rescue battle flags still being held in private hands has merit, I just wouldn't know where to go with the idea.  I could get a document drafted wherein the holder of such items would guarantee their donation upon the individual's demise or such - along with a brochure on how to best preserve them until such time, but then what, how to find, approach etc. etc.???? 

Also, Sean's "Kaps for Kids" is doing a great thing but already in play - I'm looking for something still  to be done. 

steamboat
Posted 2009-03-15 3:34 PM (#25024 - in reply to #25022)
Master and Commander

John, all I can think of is advertise within our submarine community, also American Legion, VFW, etc, and word of mouth (maybe best). A bochure/ document would help. If we keep pushing this, someone will come up with more ideas in spreading the word. How about skimmers, and Army/ Marine Corps units, have they done anything to protect flags of disbanded units? Course, they were probably not home-made like ours.
Has any bases or National HQ thought of this project?
Steamboat sends
Ralph Luther
Posted 2009-03-15 5:46 PM (#25025 - in reply to #25024)
COMSUBBBS

A good contact and source would be thru SubVets WWII and the various WWII boat reunions. I think a lot of the holders of battle flags are waiting for a reliable place to handle the job. IMHO
crystal
Posted 2009-03-15 6:08 PM (#25028 - in reply to #25003)

Master and Commander

O.K., so here's a proposal: (unless someone can come up with anything else), I take these funds and apply them toward notices or advertisements (that require payment) in our WWII Base newsletters.  ((Example: I am already an associate member of the San Diego Chapter for the last couple of years.  They have an excellent newsletter called "Klaxon"... I have worked with their driving force, Doug Smay, in getting the war patrol reports out to our WWII guys, so I'm sure he would be on board with this effort, such as it is)).

So now I ask for your collective help in scouring the internet for further WWII Submariner publications.  Feed 'em to me here or via email.  Also it may help to tie in with DonMac who (I believe) put together a web page devoted to pix of the various battle flags (as known).  Also, find out WHERE any of the flags are already on display such as the three held up here at the Naval Undersea Museum - including the Sealion's.  Finally if anyone already knows where such a flag may be in private hands, please let me know (on the QT) and I will establish some kind of dialog with the holder...

I know that the curator and staff at NUM would be more than open to accept any of these flags and perserve, display them much better than any of us could... And I'm sure there are many other worthy entities that can do the same.  I already have donation documentation from NUM on hand having made a number of my own donations through them, I can send anyone interested a simple one page form to use in getting the donation started, let me know...

Edited by crystal 2009-03-15 6:09 PM
Roy Ator
Posted 2009-03-15 6:44 PM (#25029 - in reply to #25028)

Great Sage of the Sea

Hey shipmates,
We are submariners. When a problem is identified, we find a solution! I'll drop an Email to Chief Clear on some QT info as well. I'm strongly in favor of Steamboat's recommended project. I can help monetarily too.
Bear
Posted 2009-03-17 7:43 PM (#25066 - in reply to #25003)

Great Sage of the Sea

I thought most of the Battle Flag and /or replicas were already on display at the Bowfin in Pearl (but I haven't been there in close to 15 years). I like the idea though and think it would be a worthy project to get the ones not there turned over and put on display. Or getting a similiar display at Museum in Groton
miss lumpy bumps
Posted 2009-03-18 7:24 AM (#25075 - in reply to #25003)

COMSUBBBS

OK, Gentlemen...please bear with me, as I ask this question.  Is SBNL the "only" teaching base and do all the Bases that
home port subs have some sort of Library?  Not to take away from the wonderful suggestions that everyone has made here...because I think Steamboat's suggestion is really the one to go with, but this is just my own curious mind making an inquiry.

Bear, the displays at Nautilus Museum w/Battle Flags, as Ric Hedman has pointed out to me, may not be the real battle flags from the WWII boats, but I guess they are trying to do their best, too.  We, as a community, have to pool our resources, meaning our collective brains, and as Roy pointed out, find a way to continue to let this "seed money" grow and do more good.
Donald L. Johnson
Posted 2009-03-18 12:00 PM (#25082 - in reply to #25003)

Great Sage of the Sea

Every submarine base has a Submarine Training Facility of some sort, but not all have a museum/library on the level of the SubForce Library/USS Nautilus at Groton.

I am aware of museum/libraries at Kings Bay, the museum John Clear serves near the Trident facility in Washington, and the Pacific Submarine Museum at Bowfin Park in Pearl Harbor.

When I was last at Ballast Point in San Diego, there was no submarine museum in the area, although that may be changing as the USS Dolphin joins the San Diego Maritime Museum. When I was in Charleston, I never made it over to Patriot's Point to see the USS Clamagore. And I never served in Norfolk, so I leave that to others.
crystal
Posted 2009-03-18 7:35 PM (#25087 - in reply to #25003)

Master and Commander

Updating:  Roy Ator sent a lead on where one flag is being held in private hands which I will follow up with (in time) as delicately as possible.  I know Ric knows of others that he posted pictures of him holding.  I know of the three originals that the Naval Undersea Museum here in WA has on display (will furnish pictures down the line)... I think what we as a group can do now is to identify "where" any of these flags already are on (public) display or stored under museum control and of course where they may still be held by individual entities.  I was around for the initial construction of the Bowfin Museum but have no idea what flags they may have accumulated by now... Would anyone like to step forward and volunteer to be our contact to the various museum (HNSA members etc.) curators with this request re: info on any of the battle flags flags that they might have?  (Please post your acceptance of such work here so as to be available for contact by others with info for you)...

crystal
Posted 2009-03-19 5:49 PM (#25109 - in reply to #25003)

Master and Commander

Hey "Y'all" (love that stuff), as a tribute to "Warshot" let's keep this WWII Submarine Battle Flag as an active post (don't let it get buried), I'm trying real hard here and would appreciate some follow through!
TSpoon
Posted 2009-03-19 6:16 PM (#25110 - in reply to #25003)
Great Sage of the Sea

A number of years back I read an article about the Nautilus Museum in Groton restoring and /or preserving the battle flags they have in their collection. I think they had them mounted in an air tight glass frame filed with some sort of gas to slow or stop the deteroriating of the cloth. I remember that it was a very expensive method but at the time an almost guarantee of life time preservation. The frame was two panes of special glass with the flag sort of suspened in between, sealed, and the gas inserted.

This memory is old but that would be a good place to start to find out what can be done.

Also, about 15 years ago I was in the Chief's Club on Ballast Point and they had some flags on display there.

Then there is a city museum in Vallejo that has a couple of flags in their colleciton. They also have a periscop mounted so that it sticks out their roof.

They are out there,

T.Spoon, DBF
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software