Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: The USS SKATE (SSN 578) was the first vessel ever to surface at the North Pole, when on March 17, 1959 she surfaced there to conduct memorial services for the renowned Arctic explorer Sir Hubert Wilkins.
Snake-bit!
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Flapper
Posted 2009-03-19 9:45 PM (#25115)

Master and Commander

Subject: Snake-bit!

I'd would like all of your best vibes for the recovery of our new boy cat, 'Sun', who has filled in for the old guy we recently lost to the big C. I had him out today (on a leash and lead) in the front yard here in Tucson, and he got curious about something rustling in the juniper bushes bordering the yard. He got bit on the fore-paw by some sort of venomous critter that injected anticoagulant, so his ability to clot has been compromised.

Just got a call from the vet to tell me it's time to start anti-venom or he'll be lost; worry is side-effects from the anti-venom. It's a tough world out there sometimes.

'Sun' Parker

Edited by Flapper 2009-03-19 9:48 PM
steamboat
Posted 2009-03-19 11:38 PM (#25118 - in reply to #25115)
Master and Commander

Subject: RE: Snake-bit!

Bob,
I love Tucson. It is the most beautiful city in the US. But I couldn't live there because there are too many things that can kill, bite or scratch you or your pets. I have 3 cats, 3 dogs and 3 horses here in Virginia which I can allow to run free with no worries of the same.
I am especially fond of yellow tigar cats, so I hope Sun recovers from the bite with minimal side effects. May he be jumping onto your lap and "singing you a song" very soon.
Steamboat sends
BlackBeard
Posted 2009-03-20 12:10 AM (#25119 - in reply to #25115)

Great Sage of the Sea

Best wishes Bob. I've lost two cats in the last year (we're assuming coyote's) and I know it's tough. We are just now starting to warm up, I know you guys have been warm for awhile. I figure with all the new blacktop I've put on the property this last year we'll be a magnet for snakes in spring and summer evenings. I hope we don't suffer any similar problems.
And Steamboat, it's bad in every desert. We have a couple rattler's out here that are unique in the world. They are both a neuro and hemo toxin combined. Nasty stuff found only in the Mojave desert (Mojave Green and Mojave red. ) Plus I've killed two scorpions and a centipede in the home in the last two weeks. Not to mention about a dozen black widows outside.
But you are right, Tucson is one of the best places in the country. You learn to live with each places problems. In Tucson there are no tornados, hurricanes, blizzards, earthquakes or tsunamis. But there are bugs and snakes. Here we have the bugs, snakes and earthquakes.
BB

Edited by BlackBeard 2009-03-20 12:21 AM
Flapper
Posted 2009-03-20 12:14 AM (#25120 - in reply to #25118)

Master and Commander

steamboat - 2009-03-20 12:38 AM {SNIP}
 May he be jumping onto your lap and "singing you a song" very soon.Steamboat sends

Interesting turn of phrase, Mr Fulton! Out of many cats I or my family have had over many years, Sun is -by far! - the most vocal cat I've ever associated with. If he wants something he lets you know in no uncertain terms; even when he's simply wondering around the house burning off a little energy he mutters to himself almost continuously. At other times he practically yodels in meow-ese. And indeed he most definitely is 'Daddy's Cat' and loves one-opn-one lap time.
Flapper
Posted 2009-03-20 12:24 AM (#25121 - in reply to #25119)

Master and Commander

Thanks, BB! I too hope you don't have any issues with snakes; I wouldn't wish that on anyone. When the weather turns warm I'm pretty conscientious about reconnoitering the yard before I take the cats outside. But in retrospect, the patch of junipers I have in front is the only place in my yard where I can't easily see  ground level - they're too thick - therefore it's an excellent hiding spot for snakes and other critters. Gonna have to rethink the landscaping there.
Sewer Pipe Snipe
Posted 2009-03-20 1:25 AM (#25122 - in reply to #25115)
Master and Commander

Interesting. I've had cats before. I can't remember one that didn't kill snakes. Poisonous or otherwise. I haven't had cats since the kids. They were alergic to them, but I still have my dogs. I have always been careful when I hunt them, and haven't lost one to a snake bite since I left South Carolina. This year we have already had five folks bit. That's South-west Georgia for you.
steamboat
Posted 2009-03-20 4:10 AM (#25124 - in reply to #25120)
Master and Commander

Every cat has its own distinctive personality. I've had some that will carry on a conversation with you for extended length of time. Others that mearly want to sing (purr) while lying on your lap. That puts me to sleep quicker that one of wife's TV programs!
The only poisonous snake we have is the copperhead. I have killed about a dozen since I built my house here 25 years ago. They like to hide in my hay mow and catch mice. Had a Chessie dog bit long time ago, but he was OK. Copperheads are not agressive, and thier poison very seldom kills. However we are the center of the world for tick populations. Untreated dogs will carry hundreds of ticks on them in summer. Disgusting little critters. I did have a dog die from tick fever.
Keep us posted on Sun, Bob.
Steamboat sends
Buff
Posted 2009-03-20 8:39 AM (#25132 - in reply to #25115)
Crew

Flapper, I can appreciate your concern for your furry friend. We lived over in Silver City, New Mexico for quite a few years and lost some of our cats to coyotes and hawks. Never lost one to a snake or spider. Had one little guy bring me a recently killed rattler as "a gift". Such a thoughtful youngster. Recently, we lost our family orange tiger to an owl here outside Lakeview, Oregon. That cat would watch the sky for the hawks and eagles and never got caught in the daytime. He didn't expect sky trouble at night. We were outside at night and heard the "swoosh". We saw a blur of cream, tan and dark brown in the moonlight and no more "Java". I didn't realize how much that cat meant to me. And it was my daughter's cat!
Anyway, good luck with your little friend.
Buff
Flapper
Posted 2009-03-20 5:44 PM (#25159 - in reply to #25115)

Master and Commander

Subject: UPDATE, RE: Snake-bit! He's going to make it!

Took this one early this afternoon in the vet's office. Right paw closest is the one that got bit; left leg has his IV catheter.

When I first took him in yesterday, his platelet level was 70,000 (normal 200K - 500K). At 6am today, ~8 hrs post-antivenom, it was a lousy 10K ... but he had regained some clotting ability. When they checked his platelets again at 2pm (when I took the shot above) they had recovered to 50K. I opted to wait until this evening to see that the trend continues to improve; if so, I'll bring him home tonight.

Some part of the recovery, I'm sure, is a result of your good thoughts shipmates. you have my heartfelt appreciation.

There's still some chance of complications in the injured limb, even possibly requiring amputation, but I think he's survived.
Stoops
Posted 2009-03-20 5:56 PM (#25160 - in reply to #25115)
Master and Commander

A beautiful cat, Flapper.....I am a cat person and love dogs and squirrels too.....I hope he does ok. Amputation is never desired, but animals adapt.

Tell your pet, we are pullng for him and give him many scritches from me.

snakeyez
Posted 2009-03-22 8:27 PM (#25251 - in reply to #25115)

Senior Crew

How's the kitty?

Our cat means the world to us. Hope yours is recovering well.
PEP
Posted 2009-03-22 9:30 PM (#25252 - in reply to #25251)

Senior Crew

and here's another reason boat sailors are great peoples. Anyone who don't like, I mean really don't like animals can't be trusted. Ask you pet companion before allowing someone new into your household, they'll tell ya! Think positive and with GOD's help SUN will be on the amends shortly!
PEP
Flapper
Posted 2009-03-22 10:58 PM (#25255 - in reply to #25115)

Master and Commander

Subject: The amazing resiliancy of youth!

Six hours after my last update (7pm Fri., local in Tucson) I called to see if I could pick him up, and the ER vet reported "Sun is making an absolutely amazing recovery! His blood platelets have fully recovered to the 'normal' range: 300,000 from the 50,000 we saw in the early afternoon, and his clotting rates are fine. You can bring him home!"
They released him wearing an 'E-collar', basically one of those conical collars that you see on dogs to prevent them from biting or licking themselves - just in a smaller cat size. That was so he wouldn't keep cleaning off the scabs on his bite wounds. After 2 hours of amusement looking at him trying to navigate whilst bumping into obstacles that are usually no issue for him, he whined and gave me a look that said, "Get this f***ing thing off my neck! I'll be good."
I did, and he was.
I can report Sunday evening that he shows absolutely no lingering effects of his run-in with a rattler. Like I said in the subject line, youth (and some reasonably timely care) and a couple grand worth of medical support
Curt
Posted 2009-03-23 12:45 AM (#25256 - in reply to #25115)

Old Salt

Outstanding!
Sewer Pipe Snipe
Posted 2009-03-23 1:18 AM (#25257 - in reply to #25115)
Master and Commander

As for your bush. Around here they sell snake repellant pellets. They work. There is also some basis in using mothballs. Just secure them so the cats don't decide to see what they taste like. The pellets are mostly put under a house. Nothing more unerving than hearing one sing under the floor boards. Exterminators aren't that fond of them either when treating a house.
Land Lubber
Posted 2009-03-23 2:33 PM (#25274 - in reply to #25255)
Old Salt

Subject: RE: The amazing resiliancy of youth!

That is GREAT news!!!
Steve
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software