Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: The United States submarine USS TRITON was fitted with twin reactors and was considered the longest submarine ever built until the advent of the OHIO class. The TRITON was designed for a surface displacement of 5,900 tons. Large submarines of other countries have been the Japanese I-400 (5,220 tons), and the French SURCOUF (2,880 tons).
Hallowed ground
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

whalen
Posted 2009-03-20 3:38 PM (#25153)

Great Sage of the Sea

Subject: Hallowed ground

Most of the other participants of the Warshot memorial celebration have covered the situation very well.  I am grateful to have been there to honor one of greatest of the greatest generation. 

I am also grateful to have met those who were there -- some I have come to know very well over the past few years.  But, I've found, it's just like on the boats -- you might not remember a steaming buddy's first name -- you might only remember his best sea story, or that he was a tall guy from Black Duck who could pee over a pickup truck hood, or that you can't remember his rate but you remember that he told a joke that made you blow milk out your nose -- that's only a little of what it was like over the past few days....

A few hours into one of the bouts of boatsailor madness, Olgoat came up to me and announced that he had an "epiphany".  Everyone within earshot stopped talking and stood by for the word from on high.  Then he looked around and said, "Hell, now I forgot what it was."

Well, on my return home, I've had an epiphany: 

When got to the Arlington grave site, everyone realized that the groundskeepers had just "aerated" the sod in that area -- there were chunks of wet dirt laying all over.  After leaving the ceremony, there was a lot of shoe-scraping.  Going into the O'Club for the reception, folks looked for a place to wipe their shoes.

Today I was cleaning up the (wife's) car after the trip, and as I began vacuuming the rugs I reflected on the dirt I found there.  

Thanks Roy, thanks Ralph, thanks John -- even though you tried not to only track in even a little bit of dirt, there was some there....but it didn't bother me a bit...

this was some of the most precious dirt in our country. 

steamboat
Posted 2009-03-20 4:42 PM (#25156 - in reply to #25153)
Master and Commander

Subject: RE: Hallowed ground

I agree with you hole-heartedly, Bill. Hallowed ground indeed. What impressed me was the shear size of the cemetery. Row after row after row of stones, all perfectly aligned. And this is just one National Cemetery, albeit the largest. I must spend some time just walking around that hallowed ground. I wonder if anyone has ever added up the total number of veterans who have served this Nation. Would 100 million be a wild guess?
Warshot is catching up on NTINS'ers with his daparted shipmates, I am sure!
Thanks for the ride and your friendship, Bill.
Steamboat sends
Roy Ator
Posted 2009-03-20 4:56 PM (#25157 - in reply to #25156)

Great Sage of the Sea

This site say's more than 1.3 million KIA & MIA. I don't know just how they come up with that total but I'm satisfied it is from official records. There are several pages linked that will provide some breakdown in the numbers. I visited there on March 6th with our SVWWII state convention. The submarine memorial is very impressive too!

Yep, I cleaned some of that hallowed soil off of my shoes after arriving home. Thanks shipmates and friends for being there for Warshot.
Ralph Luther
Posted 2009-03-20 5:35 PM (#25158 - in reply to #25153)
COMSUBBBS

Bill, I sure hope you thanked your wife for the use of her car and thank you for allowing us to ride along.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software