Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: In World War II the Germans lost 782 submarines, the Japanese lost 130, Great Britan and Commonwealth countries lost 88 subs, Russia lost 110 submarines and the United States lost only 52 submarines. Twenty-three of the Japanese subs lost were victims of the American Submarine Service.
Question...
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Corabelle
Posted 2009-04-01 12:24 PM (#25496)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: Question...

At one point in the narrative re: official war patrol reports of the USS Sterlet, the captain says: "Exercised 20mm crew on a large floating cane fender." What's a 'cane fender?'

Cora
Lee Davenport
Posted 2009-04-01 12:54 PM (#25497 - in reply to #25496)
Crew

Subject: RE: Question...

Cora, A fender is something that is put down on the water to keep a moored ship from banging against the dock, or some type of cushion hung over the side of the ship, for the same purpose. Sometimes, you will see old tires used as a fender. I would suppose that a "Floating Cane Fender" is one that had broken loose and floated out to sea. Probably made in the far east from some type of bamboo cane. That's my story and I'm sticking to it...
Sean705
Posted 2009-04-01 12:55 PM (#25498 - in reply to #25496)

Mess cooking

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe that's referring to a ship fender, which is a large device hung off the side of docks to keep ships from rubbing up against the pier, something like this:

but probably a lot larger, like one used for a large warship.
Sean705
Posted 2009-04-01 12:56 PM (#25499 - in reply to #25497)

Mess cooking

Lee Davenport - 2009-04-01 3:54 PM

Cora, A fender is something that is put down on the water to keep a moored ship from banging against the dock, or some type of cushion hung over the side of the ship, for the same purpose. Sometimes, you will see old tires used as a fender. I would suppose that a "Floating Cane Fender" is one that had broken loose and floated out to sea. Probably made in the far east from some type of bamboo cane. That's my story and I'm sticking to it...

I was thinking that perhaps it was a shortening of "Hurricane Fender"
Flapper
Posted 2009-04-01 11:16 PM (#25503 - in reply to #25496)

Master and Commander

Subject: RE: Question --->Answer

The cane fender is that horizontal cylinder in the lower left (to the the right of the funnel) that keeps the Ship's motor whaleboat from banging into the Ballard. The older looking small boat hanging from the davits is Japanese; it held survivors from the Hiryu, a Nip carrier.

As previous respondents have noted, it is essentially a bumper to keep ships from banging into each other or a pier.
Corabelle
Posted 2009-04-02 10:38 AM (#25504 - in reply to #25496)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: RE: Question...Is it made of cane?

It kinda looks as though it might be.

Cora
Flapper
Posted 2009-04-02 8:53 PM (#25518 - in reply to #25504)

Master and Commander

Subject: RE: Question...Is it made of cane?

Corabelle - 2009-04-02 11:38 AMIt kinda looks as though it might be.Cora

Indeed it is - cane for buoyancy and oak, or other strong wood, for structural integrity.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software