Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: "I can't say anything bad about Doc Barboza; he cut my hair before I went ashore... and he cured my 'cold' when I came back." -- David Stevens, MM2(SS), USS Archerfish AGSS-311)
A sad state of affairs indeed!
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

iPOD
Posted 2009-04-09 12:00 AM (#25650)

Master and Commander

Subject: A sad state of affairs indeed!

The saddest thing is that it has been known about for years but both the Admiralty and Governments have had their heads jammed so tight up their own arses they just didn't want to admit there is/was a problem oh and did you notice that those in opposition who where the Government for many of the years this has been going on are shifting straight into blame mode!!

Lifted from the Australian Newspaper website this morning.

Mark Dodd | April 09, 2009
Article from:  The Australian

URGENT action is required to resolve a dire shortage of submarine personnel or Australia's once vaunted "silent service" faces collapse, the navy chief has warned.

A report on problems affecting the navy's elite submarine service released yesterday warns of a drastic decline in experience among sailors that could jeopardise safety.

Navy chief Vice Admiral Russ Crane promised a revamp focusing on a drastic improvement to working conditions for sub crews.

Sea deployments lasting up to seven months will be cut, a dedicated submarine support group will be moved to Western Australia, shore-based accommodation will be upgraded and general quality of life will be improved for crews.

In a frank appraisal of how bad things have got, Vice Admiral Crane said a lack of adequately trained submariners was placing an unacceptable burden on personnel serving on the navy's three operational Collins-class subs. Three other boats had been taken out of the water. The submarine workforce sustainability program will focus on a five-phase strategy, as foreshadowed in The Australian yesterday. It aims to lighten the formidable workload of submariners by increasing from 46 to 58 the number of crew members allocated to each boat and calls for a fourth crew by 2011.

But training submariners was not an easy task, Vice Admiral Crane said. "They have to be trained in their particular category, then they've got to go off and get their dolphin qualifications."

The 109-page report compiled by Rear Admiral Rowan Moffitt makes clear that life as an RAN submariner is hard and suggests recruiters stress the submarine service as an "elite arm" of the navy. It says submarine safety issues need to be more fully addressed - the navy currently has no submarine abandonment, escape and rescue system (SAERS) capability. In 2003, HMAS Dechaineux was nearly lost with all hands after a hose burst and brought the boat within seconds of being lost off the West Australian coast.

"The declining experience level of the submarine community must be viewed with concern for the increased risk of an incident with a catastrophic outcome," the report warns.

Recruiters are also likely to start targeting more females.

Opposition defence spokesman David Johnston said problems in the submarine service had worsened dramatically under the Rudd Government, which had ignored the problems posed by crewing shortages.

Edited by iPOD 2009-04-09 12:01 AM
Ralph Luther
Posted 2009-04-09 1:48 AM (#25653 - in reply to #25650)
COMSUBBBS

Subject: RE: A sad state of affairs indeed!

Australia isn't alone. Every free country in the world is having the same problem. Even Russia from what I've heard.

Edited by Ralph Luther 2009-04-09 1:48 AM
Blue from West Oz
Posted 2009-04-09 5:48 AM (#25655 - in reply to #25650)

Master and Commander

Subject: That's what happens when.....

....they remove Fore-Endies/Torpedomen from the Sub Force.

The proof is in the pudding so to speak....we didn't have severe manpower shortages when I was serving, now we are no longer in....

I would still be serving if it wasn't for that decision, but, you get that.

Anyway, for less money, working in the prison system, I get more time off, more international travels ( to destinations I want to go to ) and I get 'all-nighters'.

Blue *_*
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software