Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: Modern nuclear submarines can travel faster submerged than they can on the surface. They can fully submerge in less than a minute.
Prairie Masker
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Jim M.
Posted 2009-04-14 12:38 PM (#25755)

Great Sage of the Sea

Subject: Prairie Masker

Looking for information on Prairie Masker on submarines.. for part of my CATFISH/SANTA FE research effort. During my last run to the Archives in College Park, MD, I came across the Booklet of General Plans, Submarine SS-339, from the 1960 timeframe, when CATFISH received her plastic sail, was given a chin dome, and had her no. 2 engine removed with the space being used for Prairie Masker.. (I've searched on the Internet and the only things coming up deal with Prairie Masker on surface ships..)
RCK
Posted 2009-04-14 1:43 PM (#25756 - in reply to #25755)
Master and Commander

Subject: RE: Prairie Masker

I seem to recall a fine bubble emission system that boats emitted to improve sub evasion capabilites from surface sonar. I'm not sure that the "Prarie Masker"you refered to is tied to this system.
GaryKC
Posted 2009-04-14 5:59 PM (#25765 - in reply to #25755)

COMSUBBBS

I'd like to learn more regarding that as well, it's mentioned here http://www.usstusk.com/history.htm although not in detail.
C Stafford
Posted 2009-04-15 6:06 AM (#25782 - in reply to #25755)
Senior Crew

The Barbel had a Prairie Masker. We used it when we were snorkeling and didn't want the engine noise to radiate into the ocean for the "other"guys to hear.
The Prairie Masker system consisted of a air pump that was located in the engine room, a band of air emiters that ran down the back of the sail, around the hull/superstructure forward of the engine room, and on the leading edge of the screw blades. It was basically a big air bubble machine that provided "white" noise.
You can see the air holes on the screw if you visit the Blueback in Portland, OR.

Edited by C Stafford 2009-04-15 6:09 AM
Runner485
Posted 2009-04-15 11:28 AM (#25793 - in reply to #25755)

COMSUBBBS

On or about 1968, Sirago had #2 engine removed and a Prairie Masker installed. It was to be used to cover any cavitation or internal noise that may otherwise have emanated out to the sea. The bubbles were supposed to cover up the noise, which in some stealth cases was successful, but certainly not enough to quiet a snorkeling submarine.

I guess during this time frame all smokeboats were being used as Guinea pigs. Their time was over...It was the Nucs time in the sun, as it should be. Though to a man we may disagree.

Pig
Posted 2009-04-16 9:40 AM (#25826 - in reply to #25755)
Plankowner

I would guess that most Engineman that ever had one of those monsters to mess with have blocked all memories of those dazes... I know I have. I guess anyone in the seaman gang probably has too, as they had to plug everyone of the gazillion holes in the pipes along the roll chocks prior to painting when in drydock, and remove same when finished.
SOB490
Posted 2009-04-16 10:52 AM (#25828 - in reply to #25826)

Old Salt

Maybe I was a lucky EN because the Auxmen got to babysit Prairie-Masker on VOLADOR! We called it "Lawrence Welk" as in "Turn on the bubble machine."

I can recall at least two drydockings with P-M installed and the yard always had a huge skid box of standard civilian round toothpicks that ship's company used to plug the Masker emitter holes in the lawn soakers around both of our enginerooms.

If our screws weren't pulled in drydock, then the blade tips were covered up by yardbirds using some special tape and long strips of the same sort of coated paper that piston rings came packaged in.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software