Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: "The Turkish skipper of ex-USS Tang, when asked about the difference between the German designed and built replacement boats for their retiring ex-US boats, is reported to have said, "American submarines are built for war, German submarines are built for export."
I've got a free evenng in New Orleans; today
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Doc Gardner
Posted 2009-04-15 3:44 AM (#25776)

Master and Commander

Subject: I've got a free evenng in New Orleans; today

I'm in New Orleans today and tomorrow; my meetings will end around 3:00 PM (1500 for those who remember how to tell time properly). Anybody in the New Orleans area free to get together for a cold one or dinner?
Let me know and I'll give you my cell phone number; I'm staying in LaPlace but have a rental car
Doc
Ralph Luther
Posted 2009-04-15 8:20 AM (#25786 - in reply to #25776)
COMSUBBBS

Subject: RE: I've got a free evenng in New Orleans; today

Be careful there, Doc, don't get anything on you that won't wash off.
Doc Gardner
Posted 2009-04-16 11:24 AM (#25831 - in reply to #25776)

Master and Commander

Subject: RE: Guess there are no boat sailors in New Orleans

or all the slander that Stoops put out on me scared them away.
Got to see the French Quarter today as it prepares for the big Festival this weekend. The city (this part of it anyway) has cleaned up nicely. I was tempted to try the alligator sandwich but chickened out.
Tom McNulty
Posted 2009-04-16 12:37 PM (#25838 - in reply to #25831)

Master and Commander

Funny you should say you chickened out. Alligator tastes like chicken with a very slight touch of fish oil. No wonder it's made with a load of spices and usually deep fried. They go down much better with Jamiesons.
Doc Gardner
Posted 2009-04-17 4:11 AM (#25864 - in reply to #25838)

Master and Commander

Tom McNulty - 2009-04-16 3:37 PM

Funny you should say you chickened out. Alligator tastes like chicken with a very slight touch of fish oil. No wonder it's made with a load of spices and usually deep fried. They go down much better with Jamiesons.

The pun was intended. It was a business lunch so couldn't drink alcohol to kill the taste.
I actually got to see parts of New Orleans that I had not seen before on my one and only previous visit. I saw the beautiful sections and the devastated sections from the hurricane (reading utility meters takes you into every area of the city). They are getting ready for the "French Quarter Festival" this weekend and the downtown area was full of tourists having fun and looking forward to the music and variety of foods. They were serving the alligator sandwiches on the street corners from the local vendors. Wish I could have stayed and had my wife come down to join me.
Ralph Luther
Posted 2009-04-17 5:58 AM (#25872 - in reply to #25864)
COMSUBBBS

In New Orleans???????????? Doc, have you been out in the sun too long or has the odor of New Orleans fogged your brain cells?
I trucked in and out of New Orleans for a number of years and decided to take Sharon down there to see the sights. While walking down Bourbon St, together, she got propositioned more than I did. She didn't much care for the place after that and really didn't like me going there after that either. She about got sick in the Schwegman's grocery store in Metairie down on Tchoupitoulas St.. The smell and the flies weren't to her liking. There was a real good red beans, rice and sausage place a couple shops from there. It was inside of a warehouse.
You sure can find plenty of skeletons there to take home and hang in your closet.

Edited by Ralph Luther 2009-04-17 5:59 AM
Doc Gardner
Posted 2009-04-17 7:56 AM (#25874 - in reply to #25872)

Master and Commander

Ralph:
Your description of New Orleans is what I remembered but this time it was different. Probably too early for all the bugs you mentioned and the Quarter, while still providing plenty of opportunity for "off the record business transactions" seemed to be a little less seemy than I remembered; at least during daytime hours. After dark I understand it's still as wide open as ever.
I think my wife would enjoy the areas on Magzaine Street where all the little antique and re-sale shops are located.
Plus, she's intrigued by the above ground cemeteries.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software