Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: "Without courage, you might as well not be in it. You’ve got to have courage--moral courage, physical courage--and honor. Honor means telling the truth even when it might not be to your advantage" Retired Capt. Charles W. Rush Jr. (85), Navy Cross recipient, when asked to give advice to Chiefs and Junior Officers in today's submarine service.
Many many years ago
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Runner485
Posted 2009-04-15 8:47 AM (#25787)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: Many many years ago

In a galaxy many, many light years away, just after the Big Bang, my boat was in the Portsmouth Naval shipyard in VA. it was late 1962, and across the river was a group of mothballed Tin Cans. Among those, was a DD that I was familiar with, at least in name. The USS Van Valkenburgh DD 656 was forlornly sitting alongside her sisters. They were definitely NOT ready for prime time.

I called my cousin up that evening to verify that she was in fact the ship he served on during the Korean War, in which he spent many months shelling stuff on the shore of North Korea. He confirmed that she was his old ship. He served as a Radarman and made RD3 while on board. He usta tell me stories of his ships action during the war and that inspired my desire to enter the US Navy.

They both valiantly served their country without question and with honor.

DD-656 is long gone as is my cousin.
Ralph Luther
Posted 2009-04-15 10:23 AM (#25788 - in reply to #25787)
COMSUBBBS

Subject: RE: Many many years ago

Time sure is a strange thing when you think about it. Time doesn't wait for anyone or anything. Sometimes it takes for ever to pass like when you're waiting on a flight or waiting in a Doctor's office. Then again it flies by like a flash from one birthday to the next once you pass the 65 year mark.
Deep thinking today.
Cheers Mates
steamboat
Posted 2009-04-15 2:17 PM (#25800 - in reply to #25787)
Master and Commander

I spent some time in NNSY in late '63, the only mothballed ship I remember across the Elizabeth River was the BB Wisconsin. Funny thing is she is now a museum ship downtown Norfolk.
Steamboat sends
Sewer Pipe Snipe
Posted 2009-04-15 3:19 PM (#25801 - in reply to #25787)
Master and Commander

Just how many of our boats are still in commision? I know mine isn't. I think she is cut up already.
SOB490
Posted 2009-04-15 5:36 PM (#25805 - in reply to #25801)

Old Salt

Walt - that is a mixed emotions question for me to answer!

The easy part -- None.

The hard part -- They were all DBFs and they exist today only as fond memories.  

Mac McCoy
Posted 2009-04-16 5:08 AM (#25814 - in reply to #25787)
Senior Crew

Walt of all the vessels that i went to sea in or on only three still exist in some form. The former USS Cutlass is now in Taiwan. Rode the USS Clamagore from Charleston to Key West one week and now she is a museum. Rode Daniel Webster from Charleston to Panama and now she is being used as a prototype. All the boats that were permenant homes have all been physically destroyed but still remain in our memory.
Tom McNulty
Posted 2009-04-16 6:44 AM (#25818 - in reply to #25787)

Master and Commander

The boats I sailed (all FBM) have their reactor compartments in Hanford. The rest are on the bottom of the Pacific Ocean. When I was active reserve in Beaumont, TX we did some duty over at Orange on the mothball fleet there. I remember boarding a 4 stack DD to strip some equipment. I have to tell you that being a tin can sailor on one of those had to have been pretty rough. It was far from a floating hotel.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software