Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: When the nuclear powered submarine USS SEADRAGON surfaced at the North Pole while charting the Northwest passage in August 1960, the crew organized a baseball game. Because of Polar time differences, when a batter clouted a home run it would land in either the next day or in 'yesterday'.
Coffee Nicknames
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

SOB490
Posted 2009-04-16 11:03 AM (#25829)

Old Salt

Subject: Coffee Nicknames

I suppose this could have varied from boat to boat - or even LANT  to PAC, but what was the nickname we used for "blonde and bitter" coffee --

"Sonny Liston" was for black and bitter, "Sammy Davis" was for black and sweet, and "Marilyn Monroe" was for blonde and sweet. But for the life of me, I can't remember what we called blonde and bitter.

PaulR
Posted 2009-04-16 11:08 AM (#25830 - in reply to #25829)

Master and Commander

Subject: RE: Coffee Nicknames

You were much more creative than we were.  We only used the "long form", no "codes".

This is the first I'm hearing about this.

It did not take me long to figure that it was easier to get someone to make a coffee run for me if I just ordered  "black & bitter" instead of some "Latte-like" concoction.  An added feature was the instant hand warmer provided.

I still drink it that way today.
SOB490
Posted 2009-04-16 11:31 AM (#25832 - in reply to #25830)

Old Salt

I finally had to start cutting that battery acid with milk, otherwise my stomach does standing backflips. That is why I'm now trying to remember blonde and bitter - every Wednesday is PAMPANITO day for me.

Even on OPNAV staff, the same coffee codes were used - until the H. Rap Brown incident in Alexandria VA, then Admiral Fluckey suggested that we go back to milk and sugar terminology. Probably one of my earliest exposures to being "politically correct" - and that was maybe 1967??

BlackBeard
Posted 2009-04-16 11:37 AM (#25833 - in reply to #25829)

Great Sage of the Sea

Hmmmm... I remember Black and Bitter as being Angela Davis, Blonde and Sweet was Suzanne Sommers, Blonde and bitter was Gloria Steinem, but I can't remember what we called a black and sweet. It seems like she was another 70's sitcom star, single mom raising a son...

BB
SOB490
Posted 2009-04-16 12:00 PM (#25835 - in reply to #25833)

Old Salt

Obviously a generation gap here! Maybe nobody drank Navy coffee blonde and bitter in the 50s?? I'd be afraid to call down for a Gloria Steinem -- some EM would send up a cup of boiling sulphuric acid!
Tom McNulty
Posted 2009-04-16 12:35 PM (#25837 - in reply to #25829)

Master and Commander

I only remember black and bitter. If it was something different it was called "go get it yourself".
Ralph Luther
Posted 2009-04-16 1:38 PM (#25839 - in reply to #25837)
COMSUBBBS

Tom, that's how I remember it, unless of course, it was a non-qual making the run for a sig
Thomas Courtien
Posted 2009-04-16 2:36 PM (#25846 - in reply to #25829)
Master and Commander

On the boats I was on, the answer to the "how do you want it" question was "I like my coffee the same way I like my women, blonde and sweet" or "blonde and bitter" etc.

If it was a bad batch, we refered to it as Panther P.

I drank coffe black because I hated that Cremora stuff. Later in life I went to blonde and bitter; now it is blonde and sweet.

Edited by Thomas Courtien 2009-04-16 2:38 PM
Runner485
Posted 2009-04-16 3:13 PM (#25847 - in reply to #25835)

COMSUBBBS

Definitley a generation gap...black & bitter or sweet, same with the blond....Since everyone in the enginerooms drank black, my concession was black and sweet for myself, it was easier when I had to hump the coffee. I still drink it that way. Accept that I use just a tad of sugar now...
whalen
Posted 2009-04-16 3:42 PM (#25848 - in reply to #25847)

Great Sage of the Sea

Messenger of the watch: "Making a coffer run sir, do you want a cup?"

OOD (under instruction): "Sure, with a little cream and one sugar."

MOTW:  "Yes sir, the crew calls that a rimmer."

OOD (UI): "Very well.  From now on, when I ask for coffee, you are to bring me a rimmer."

MOTW: "Aye, aye, SIR!"

SOB490
Posted 2009-04-16 5:02 PM (#25853 - in reply to #25848)

Old Salt

Delivering a rimmer obviates any possibility of using the old "tongue tank" a/k/a "gulp, hold, then spit it back out" method of delivering a full cup to the OOD on the bridge, however. Especially up that damnably long GUPPY-III trunk! 

We had one rather prissy Chesapeake University of Nautical Terminology graduate who raised hell with the off-lookout over getting half-sloshed cups of coffee - and was gratified that his leadership skills finally paid off when full cups began arriving on the bridge.

Actually, I suspect there may have been something more than a tongue tank involved - like maybe an emergency reservoir for liquids being put on service ... you see, there was a lower bridge level between the top of the trunk from the conning tower and the bridge.  

Quickly learned to NEVER drink a cup of coffee that I didn't personally draw.

Tom Curtis
Posted 2009-04-16 6:20 PM (#25856 - in reply to #25829)

Crew

The only way to drink coffee is black and bitter. Otherwise, it's called pudding.
MAD DOG
Posted 2009-04-16 7:03 PM (#25857 - in reply to #25856)

Master and Commander

Tom Curtis - 2009-04-16 9:20 PM

The only way to drink coffee is black and bitter. Otherwise, it's called pudding.

Amen to that Tom .Especially when you're the non qual trying to tote five
or six cups through a couple of water tight doors.
Donald L. Johnson
Posted 2009-04-16 9:48 PM (#25860 - in reply to #25833)

Great Sage of the Sea

BlackBeard - 2009-04-16 9:37 AM

Hmmmm... I remember Black and Bitter as being Angela Davis, Blonde and Sweet was Suzanne Sommers, Blonde and bitter was Gloria Steinem, but I can't remember what we called a black and sweet. It seems like she was another 70's sitcom star, single mom raising a son...

BB

I don't recall giving people's names to coffee flavors like that, on either coast, but as for 70's sit-com stars that fit the bill -

Diann(?) Carroll comes to mind. She played a nurse with a son, the boy's neighbor and best friend was Earl J. Wagadorn, and she worked for Dr. Chegley, played by the late, great Lloyd Nolan.

Good lord, the things that bubble up from the depths of my memory some times.
Now, where did I put my glasses?

BlackBeard
Posted 2009-04-16 11:42 PM (#25861 - in reply to #25829)

Great Sage of the Sea

I think that was it Don! And after more thought it wasn't Suzanne Sommers, it was the character she played on Three's company - Chrissy.
I remember STS-1 Renfro with his thick Texas drawl always asking for a Chrissy. I think he had a thing for her...

BB
SOB490
Posted 2009-04-17 11:20 AM (#25878 - in reply to #25861)

Old Salt

>>>I think he had a thing for her... [Suzanne Sommers]

Who in hell didn't? Until Meg Ryan came along, anyway ...

Dave Follo
Posted 2009-04-17 12:13 PM (#25883 - in reply to #25829)
Crew

I used to drink "black & bitter". When I started having stomach problems, I figured it was either the coffee, Olympia beer or Jim Beam. Thank God it was the coffee.

DBF
MAD DOG
Posted 2009-04-17 4:16 PM (#25885 - in reply to #25883)

Master and Commander

Musta been the coffee,Dave,
The rest of that stuff is good for ya!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software