Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: "The Turkish skipper of ex-USS Tang, when asked about the difference between the German designed and built replacement boats for their retiring ex-US boats, is reported to have said, "American submarines are built for war, German submarines are built for export."
Spanish-American War
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Corabelle
Posted 2009-04-16 8:40 PM (#25859)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: Spanish-American War

Today I was given a Spanish-American War medal that belonged to my uncle. I have another one that my daughter and granddaughter bought for me on e-bay because my father had fought in that same war alongside three of his brothers. On both of these medals there are numbers engraved on the back. Do you suppose the numbers and the names correlate? I would love to find out who originally owned the one that came from an e-bay auction. Also want to learn if the numbers on my uncles somehow, somewhere match up with his name.

How would I go about finding this out? Does any one know where this information would be recorded?

I don't think that the medals were issued for any type of bravery - injury - etc. I think the men got them 'just for being there.' Both have the cross with the name of one place engraved, on each arm of the cross: Cuba, Philippine Islands, USA and Porto Rico (that was the way that Puerto Rico was spelled back then). I'm really excited about this new possession.

Oh, it also says, 'Spanish War Veterans 1898-1902' on the cross.

Cora

Edited by Corabelle 2009-04-16 8:43 PM
Sid Harrison
Posted 2009-04-17 12:02 AM (#25862 - in reply to #25859)

Great Sage of the Sea

Subject: RE: Spanish-American War

http://www.google.com/search?q=Spanish+American+War+Medals&btnG=Search

http://www.spanamwar.com/medals.htm

Find more stuff

Corabelle
Posted 2009-04-17 11:58 AM (#25882 - in reply to #25862)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: RE: Spanish-American War

I found 'my' medal under 'The United Spanish War Veterans Medal' that you posted for me. I printed it out, and learned that, "To our knowledge, the serial numbers are not traceable on these medals." And the last sentence states, "This is where the non-traceable serical number also appears."

So, I guess there is no way that I can find the original owner of the 'e-bay medal,' unless someone on the board has different information. Darn - but - thank you so much Sid for posting the info for me. When I loan this medal to the museum for our very own 'Olmstead Display' at the Journey Museum, I will attach the printed information to the shadow box.

The print-out also says that this medal 'is not tremendously rare.' In fact, when I was cruising around the Internet trying to find info, I found two more for sale on e-bay. One, listed at $195.00, and one for $221.00. I think the cheaper one had already been sold. I'm sure my daughter and granddaughter didn't pay that much for the one I have, even though it's in excellent condition. When I display it, I think I will have a similar-type Civil War Medal that belonged to my Grandfather (father of the four Spanish-American War sons) mounted alongside it. That medal, although it has my Grandfather's name on it, is not in good shape. The flag part of it is quite shabby. I thought of trying to replace the flag, but have been told that if it's changed in any way, it loses it's (limited, I'm sure) value.

Thanks again,

Cora
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software