Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: "... The Navy's best are found upon; The pigboats black and trim; For men must be of sturdy stuff; To sink and still to swim ..." part of a poem, author unknown
Rain, yoiu want rain? Houston has more than we need!
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Stoops
Posted 2009-04-18 3:59 PM (#25908)
Master and Commander

Subject: Rain, yoiu want rain? Houston has more than we need!

Both the Texas Beagle Doc and I have been putting up with some nasty thunderstorms, rain, and high winds. Yesterday we had at least 3" and today over 6" with high winds gusting to 36mph! Doc is staying dry because Ike took everything not on second level! Bet he is glad he'll be out of Galveston at the end of the month!

One good thing has come of this weather.....IKE broke a few large limbs in the top of a live oak in the front yard and it was too high up for me to get. Today, the high winds brought it down for me....the limb was about 4" diameter where it had been broken by IKE and was about 10' long with all the branches.

I've lived here since middle of '91 and the water was as high as it has ever been since we've been here...up over the curbs and sidewalks...Still had plenty of room for rising water before the house was in danger. Looks like the weather report is for more storms through the night.

Ironic....we just had a new roof put on about two weeks ago and have two leaks. Luckily, we could get buckets under them and the roofer will be here Monday to fix.

I wonder how Raynor and Myron are faring? They were closer to the nastier portions of the storms.

We lost power this morning just before I was getting the second pot of coffee started (ain't that just par for the course) and suprisingly, it was over an hour before we got it back. I can't help shake the thought that the Detroit Quack being in New Orleans last week had something to do with it. Certainly can't blame it on Blue.

(oh, by the way, Doc G., the lack of finding someone willing to have dinner with you in N.O. wasn't my fault, but I'd suggest that since all my soap, foo-foo juice, toothpaste, dental floss, and Right Guard were undisturbed while you were raiding my liquor cabinet and Terry's unmentionable drawers, you may want to look inward for a reason!!!)

Now, in honor of Roy Ator's birthday, I'm going to have some Glenlivet 15 year old in his honor! Here's to you, Roy! Thank you for your service in our NAVY and all that you continue to do on behalf of the nation! You make the country proud!

Edited by Stoops 2009-04-18 4:01 PM
Ralph Luther
Posted 2009-04-19 5:03 AM (#25919 - in reply to #25908)
COMSUBBBS

Subject: RE: Rain, yoiu want rain? Houston has more than we need!

I can remember back in my trucking days, that if my trip took me into or thru Houston, I would check the weather there prior to getting there. If ANY rain was forcasted I would adjust my travel to get there before or a day after. Any rain there at all floods the underpasses on I-10 and I-45 and the people there sure can't drive on wet roads.
Runner485
Posted 2009-04-19 7:00 AM (#25920 - in reply to #25908)

COMSUBBBS

Dave, Glad to hear you're doing ok in the storm and with just two leaks I'd say your lucky you still have a roof.
Even if the water comes up to your front steps it has a long way to go to reach the top of your head...us normal size guys would say you are, "Too Tall Dave". No wonder you hung out with the Beagle Doc....He made you look taller!
JrKrup, Skimmer
Posted 2009-04-20 12:47 PM (#25940 - in reply to #25920)

Master and Commander

Okay, now I know why the Cavalla Cams are not in service. Must have been like a Yankees baseball game during a monsoon - rained out. They are stuck on April 9th.

Can someone from the Galveston/Houston area call to Cavalla Cob and have him push the reset button on the Cavalla Cam Computer?
Ric
Posted 2009-04-20 2:42 PM (#25941 - in reply to #25908)

Plankowner

Subject: Well, it is obviuous that....

...Houston does not know how to do rain. You must moderate it and dole it out in small packets over longer time spans. If you would take a hint from the PNW you would see we know how to make it last longer but less intrusive. We have learned moderation. Don't waste your rain in one big splash, send it out in many small sprinkles over many, many days and nights. At such a rate that no matter what setting you use for your windshield wipers it will only be good for a few seconds before you need to try the next setting. If you haven't tried all 4 or 5 settings in the first 2 minutes on the road you know you aren't doing it right. just like everything else in Texas you try and do everything bigger and it just doesn't work in this case.
Stoops
Posted 2009-04-20 5:50 PM (#25945 - in reply to #25940)
Master and Commander

JrKrup, Skimmer - 2009-04-20 12:47 PM

Okay, now I know why the Cavalla Cams are not in service. Must have been like a Yankees baseball game during a monsoon - rained out. They are stuck on April 9th.

Can someone from the Galveston/Houston area call to Cavalla Cob and have him push the reset button on the Cavalla Cam Computer?

Hell, for all I know, Jon, McMichael is probably underway on no main engines somewhere afloat in his pursuit of Somali pirates. The area had over 10" of rain in two days........and the water was as high here in Seabrook as it has been since we moved here in '91....much worse than any of the tropical storms or hurricanes.......

We had a new roof put on a few weeks ago after IKE, but the rain/winds were so bad Friday, we had two leaks....luckily they were in a place where well placed buckets caught it all, but was good to catch them early in the storm. The rain was driven by high winds, gusting up to almost 40 mph and was horizontal from the north...........

Roofer will be out Wednesday to repair the two leaks..................

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software