Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: ENS Sam Hunter, the first submarine casualty of WWII on Dec. 8, 1941. He was attached to Sea Dragon moored next to Sealion. He was killed by shrapnel from the first bomb hit on Sealion penetrating the conning tower of Sea Dragon. The second hit killed 4 men in Sealions Engineroom.
Was looking for something else....
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Ric
Posted 2009-04-19 1:19 PM (#25924)

Plankowner

Subject: Was looking for something else....

.. for Rontini's board when I found this pic. I use to live here in Shilshole Marina in Seattle. This marina is reputed to be the second largest marina on the west coast after Marina Del Rey in California. The view is from the north and most of the docks are shown here. Over 1800 boats are moored here.

From the water side.

Ralph Luther
Posted 2009-04-19 1:47 PM (#25925 - in reply to #25924)
COMSUBBBS

Subject: RE: Was looking for something else....

I bet on a weekend that place looks like an ant hill. People and boats churning everywhere.
Runner485
Posted 2009-04-19 1:56 PM (#25926 - in reply to #25924)

COMSUBBBS

Looks like I-95 on Memorial Day weekend!
Ric
Posted 2009-04-19 1:59 PM (#25927 - in reply to #25925)

Plankowner

Not as bad as it seems. Lots of boats but most folks don't use them but once or twice a year. But some folks use them everyday. I know people who go sailing almost every day of the year. Maybe for only an hour or so but they go out. We use to get out only about once a month or so.
Ralph Luther
Posted 2009-04-19 7:10 PM (#25930 - in reply to #25927)
COMSUBBBS

I would really enjoy it, but, other priorities......................................................................
Flapper
Posted 2009-04-20 12:43 AM (#25935 - in reply to #25927)

Master and Commander

Subject: Boat owners remind me of married couples.

Ric - 2009-04-19 2:59 PMNot as bad as it seems. Lots of boats but most folks don't use them but once or twice a year. But some folks use them everyday. I know people who go sailing almost every day of the year. Maybe for only an hour or so but they go out. We use to get out only about once a month or so.

On my Qual boat (Scamp) I remember a BS session about marriage and sex where one old hand same something like "Imagine a couple getting married; at the beginning they get a big jar and they put a bean in in it each time they have sex. Then, on their first anniversary, they change to taking out a bean each time they have sex. They will NEVER empty the jar.

Being a relative newlywed (<1 yr) at the time, I dismissed the idea. But in retrospect it was probably true (the marriage ended after 20 yrs, so who knows for sure?).

'So what's your point?' you ask? After owning and living aboard boats for nearly 12 years, to a 90% confidence interval, a comparable thumb-rule might apply to boat owners.

When I read through all the logs I kept recently, I could see that during the first year we sailed at least a couple of time a week on average, but as time went on the frequency went down, until it was only once every month or two (or less) just before we sold the last boat and moved ashore.
Ralph Luther
Posted 2009-04-20 5:38 AM (#25937 - in reply to #25935)
COMSUBBBS

Subject: RE: Boat owners remind me of married couples.

The "new" wears off some times rather quickly on certain things.
C Stafford
Posted 2009-04-20 6:21 AM (#25938 - in reply to #25924)
Senior Crew

When I was going to college in Long Beach, CA; I used to go sailing with a friend out of Marina Del Ray and Newport. There were a lot of boats that used strictly used for entertaining. People would sip martinis and lounge in the sun. Some of the boats had sea grass growing on the sides. An expensive place to drink when they were paying over $55.00 a foot for slip fees.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software