Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: "Like the destroyer, the submarine has created its own type of officer and man with language and traditions apart from the rest of the service, and yet at the heart unchangingly of the Service” -- Rudyard Kipling, The Fringes of the Fleet, 1915
Obit Messenger results for 04/22/09.
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Pig
Posted 2009-04-22 9:46 AM (#25973)
Plankowner

Subject: Obit Messenger results for 04/22/09.

- (Scranton Times)
POLOVITCH, John P., died Saturday April 18, 2009 at home after being stricken ill. He was married to the former Gayle Hall. The couple married in 1962. Born in Throop, son of the late John and Margaret McHale Polovitch, he was a graduate of Throop High School and was employed at Interstate Distribution Center, Jenkins Twp., as an electrician. John was of the Catholic faith. A true patriot through and through, John was very proud to have lent his service to his country. Aside the full-sized flag pole he erected in his front yard, which he always adorned with a new (never tattered) American flag, you could also see the pride shine through in his support and participation with the Submarine Vets- USS Scranton Base. Surviving are a son, Scott and wife, Jennifer, Charleston, N.C.; two sisters, Margaret Petrovich, Virginia Beach, Va.; and Mary Clare Kosciuk, Lake Ariel; two brothers, Joseph and Michael, both of Throop. He was preceded by a granddaughter, Lisa. The services will be private at the convenience of the family. Arrangements, Jacob Davis Funeral Home, 422 S. Main St., Taylor.

- (Tulare County)
ZARATE, Edward Ernest,56, passed away on April 16th, 2009. He was born in Visalia on November 7th, 1952, graduated from Redwood High School in 1970, spent 7 years in the US Navy, and graduated from Saint Mary's College of California in 1996. While serving in the Navy, he received a commendation from the U.S. Navy Commander T. E. Somes for his superior effort and contribution to the USS James Monroe (SSBN-622). During his time in the Navy, his primary assignment was as a nuclear submarine engine room supervisor. In private industry, he worked for Hartford Steam Boiler & Machinery, Arise Inc, LA Department of Water and Power, and the State of Arizona. His primary job duties included being an authorized inspector of boilers and pressure vessels and an authorized nuclear inspector at nuclear power construction sites. He is survived by three children, Michael, Christopher, and Laura, their mother Elida, and one granddaughter Milee Zárate-Bayani. His death closely follows the death of his son Joseph, who died November 7th, 2008. He is also survived by his mother Vera, sisters Debra Singleton and Anna Marie Porras, and his brothers Daniel, David, and Michael. He was preceded in death by his father Raul F. Zárate. His joys in life included his children, hiking, bicycling, and other outdoor activities. Services will be held at Holy Family Catholic Church in Visalia, CA on Friday April 24th at 4:30. Reception will follow. Under the direction of Miller Memorial Chapel, Visalia, CA

Donald L. Johnson
Posted 2009-04-22 11:31 AM (#25976 - in reply to #25973)

Great Sage of the Sea

Subject: RE: Obit Messenger results for 04/22/09.

Edward "Eddie" Zarate was not just my Shipmate - he was my neighbor, classmate, and family friend. He was almost exactly 2 years older than me.

He lived around the corner from me - I delivered his family's newspaper for 4 years, we went to the same schools. My brother and sisters were classmates with his brothers and sisters.

The same guys that recruited Eddie into the Navy and submarines recruited me three years later. And as it happened, we both served on USS James Monroe (SSBN-622)(Blue), several years apart, but knowing some of the same shipmates.

We haven't kept in as close touch as I would have liked - last met at his father's funeral several years ago.

Departed on Final Patrol at age 56 - too soon, much too soon.

We will Toll the Bell, and Lift A Glass in your Honor and Memory.

Bon Voyage, Shipmate - Neighbor, Friend. Sailor, Rest Your Oar.

Donald L. Johnson
EM1(SS) USN Retired
USSVI Wahoo Base P.O.C.
FRA Lemoore BR. 261 Chaplain
USS James Monroe (SSBN-622) Association

Ralph Luther
Posted 2009-04-22 6:18 PM (#25984 - in reply to #25976)
COMSUBBBS

Subject: RE: Obit Messenger results for 04/22/09.

It's always so very rough losing a fellw Shipmate and close friend. Condolences, Don, to you and his family.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software