Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: "The Navy is not a job, it's not a career. It's a way of life.” -- MMCM (SS) "Grump" Barrie
Canadian Diesel Boatman Reunion - Anyone know about it?
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Don Gentry
Posted 2009-04-29 5:10 PM (#26162)

Admin

Subject: Canadian Diesel Boatman Reunion - Anyone know about it?

Received an inquiry about this event.  I'm told it happens every year in Groton (or maybe just Groton this year).  Anyone know anything about it?

Ralph Luther
Posted 2009-04-29 7:05 PM (#26167 - in reply to #26162)
COMSUBBBS

Subject: RE: Canadian Diesel Boatman Reunion - Anyone know about it?

Hairball might know something. I'll check with him.
Hairball
Posted 2009-04-29 9:02 PM (#26168 - in reply to #26162)
Senior Crew

Hi Don. I have forwarded this to the Base Chief - he will have all the contacts to check this out.

I also want to thanks you guys for the cards to Rachel. As you know she's been through hell for about a year now, but at long last she seems to be making a slow-but-sure recovery. I will not go into detail but basically it was deep depression brought on by Chronic Fibromyalgia and, 'That time of life.' Unless you see this happening to someone you love it's hard to understand what this is like.

The cards really helped her and she (and I) were deeply touched.

I might be an NQP, but I sure as hell learned what the term, "Shipmate," means.

Thanks guys,

Hairball.
C Stafford
Posted 2009-04-30 6:12 AM (#26178 - in reply to #26162)
Senior Crew

The Canadians have a Reunion in Victoria, BC about every three years. Their last one was May 2008, I think. There are several Canadian groups that have Reunions. Check out the Canadian Submarine Veterans web sites.
The Reunions are a lot of fun. They had old American boats and hit all the bars that west coast sailors hit.
Hairball
Posted 2009-04-30 5:30 PM (#26202 - in reply to #26162)
Senior Crew

Hi Don, I ran it by my base Chief and he hasn't heard of it but will check to see what he can find out. About out SSK's. Yes we used Brit Boats and the most loved was the Oberon Class. Did everything you asked of it - in spades and, I might add, it's sorely missed, the guys who served on them had only good words to say. But pressure hulls get old... Interstingly that’s why apparently good aircaft are retired becuce the faitugue life of the fusalage etc was at the end of it’s, ‘safe,’ life.

I thought it would have been a good test to get one that was being retired and equip it with cameras inside the pressure hull and loads of other sensor gear, take her into deep water, flood her and see at what depth the pressure hull or fixtures failed. Don't know how they would have done it, but I'm sure it could have been done and I think it would be interesting. I think she would have maintained her integrity far deeper than the book said.

Has anything like this ever been done?

Rachel continues to get better and part of this was the cards and messages from you guys - we both owe you (big time) for this. If any of you ever come to Newfoundland look me up and I'll treat you to things like seal Flipper Pie, Moose Sausages, Pickled Squid and other good stuff! Oh yes, LOTS of good Canadian and Limey Beer too!

Hairball

steamboat
Posted 2009-04-30 6:50 PM (#26205 - in reply to #26202)
Master and Commander

Great to read you posting again again Oh Hairy One!! Stick around and share in the fun and games.
As far as diving an old boat, there were plans to convert USS Trout into a remote controlled sonar target and experimental platform a few years ago, but it didn't happen. That is an intriging idea, though. I wonder if anyone has ever thought of doing that to a Nuc boat (with reactor cut out)? Seems like the engineers would want to try it to confirm thier mathmatical mumbo-jumbo congering about shelf life of HY80.
Anywho... glad Ratchel is on the mend. That is great news. Hey, i just had a thought.... if Dex hears that you are back on-line he will surely cough up a few bucksto buy an old 'puter at a yard sale and come back to play in the sand box!!!!
Now get back to your qual card and work up some sigs if you ever want to get outta the bilges and watch the evening movie in the after battery.
Steamboat sends
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software