Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: "The Navy is not a job, it's not a career. It's a way of life.” -- MMCM (SS) "Grump" Barrie
HMCS Windsor
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Hairball
Posted 2009-05-05 6:27 AM (#26319)
Senior Crew

Subject: HMCS Windsor

Good Morning Guys. What a treat! The sun's shining and it's about 50F which is great because just a week ago we had light snow!

I'd like to introduce you to the home page of HMCS Windsor, one of our (Canadian) SSK Boats. What would be great is if some of you guys could write a note to their Guest Book. These are fellow submareeners and the book could use a few more entries and I think they would be pleased as punch if you did. Here's the web-site for the Boat:

http://www.navy.dnd.ca/windsor/0/0-s_eng.asp

As I mentioned a while back I spent a terrific evening on her when she was in port. Me and Rachel had a great time. Of interest is the Beer Cooler in the CPO's Mess and right beside it is the, "Keg Cooler." No kidding! I had some funny visions of that being in use when they were snorting - and dipped the head just as someone was pouring a pint from this PRESSURIZED keg! Bet that pint would have a head on it. But it's probably secured when snorting... Who knows? Yep, we Canuks have Ale on our Boats and Tin Cans etc. It's civilized and NOT abused or used when stuff's happening.

I have some pics of my visit but I'm not sure how to Post them. How's that done Don?

Rae's hanging in there and (slow) progress is being made. With the threat of summer coming things will be better. People make jokes about Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD - or lack of light) depressing you in our long, long winters. But it's a fact, it can get to you. November to middle April sucks with snow any-time which is why I envy you guys. At least you can, if you wish, go south and live somewhere warm! Canada might be big, but it's all left-to-right and no up or down, so no matter where you go in the winter... it sucks.

Later guys,

Hairy.

PS. When an FBT became an MBT, wasn't there the risk of any remaining oil still being in the tanks and making it to the surface? Thus - giving away your position? How is the FBT, 'cleaned out,' before it became a MBT? Yes, the Dink still has an appetite!
Ric
Posted 2009-05-05 9:03 AM (#26322 - in reply to #26319)

Plankowner

Subject: RE: HMCS Windsor

Nice seeing you again Hairy. I dropped by the site and looked around. Now we'll see if they allow my post. I did mention you in it.

As to your question. The tank was flushed when it was converted when it was deemed safe to do so.
Runner485
Posted 2009-05-05 9:49 AM (#26324 - in reply to #26319)

COMSUBBBS

Good 'seeing' you again Hairy one...You made my day after you mentioned the months of no sunshine you guys have. Here we haven't seen the sun in 4-5 days and people are getting their gallows built and ready to 'end it all'... I'll take a look at the website.
Ralph Luther
Posted 2009-05-05 9:57 AM (#26325 - in reply to #26319)
COMSUBBBS

Put in some good words about you Hairy. They'll probably tar and feather you the next time you venture aboard again.
Skii
Posted 2009-05-05 10:00 AM (#26326 - in reply to #26319)

Great Sage of the Sea

Thanks so much hair ball for the post on the Windsor - I proudly posted a message from the USS STERLET ASSOCIATION to the crew and it is appreciated to be able to do so and let them know how much we appreciate their service to the Free World and Canada.

Your wife is in my prayer bank and wish her continuing recovery and you for the continued strength you need to help her on this path.
Wish her a Happy Mother's Day for me

Ski
Scrivener
Posted 2009-05-05 12:57 PM (#26329 - in reply to #26319)
Senior Crew

Seasonal Affective Disorder is also a problem in Anchorage. Full spectrum lighting helps a little, but nothing beats sunlight, and lots of it.

Blue from West Oz
Posted 2009-05-05 6:44 PM (#26337 - in reply to #26319)

Master and Commander

Hairball - 2009-05-05 8:27 PM

These are fellow submareeners and the book could use a few more entries and I think they would be pleased as punch if you did.

Hairy, for a fellow former POM/LIMEY, you are a disgrace!

It is spelt Submariners and pronounced the same.....not that gobblydegook you wrote!

Buck up or I shall send one of Her Majesty's finest do to some 'work' on you....and yes, I know some!

Good to hear from you and a big hug to Rae....send her to Perth, I will look after her for a while....you can stay where you are!

Blue *_*
Darrin
Posted 2009-05-05 8:49 PM (#26342 - in reply to #26319)

Great Sage of the Sea

Glad to hear that both you and Rae are doing better Hairy, was gettin worried that you were lost once more in the bilges and couldn't find your way out.
Ralph Luther
Posted 2009-05-06 5:26 AM (#26347 - in reply to #26342)
COMSUBBBS

Darrin, you don't know Hairy very well. He's a bilge rat if there ever was one. Get him out of the bilgea and the guy just doesn't act right. He wanders around staring off into space and muttering to himself saying, "wtf-over".
Doc Gardner
Posted 2009-05-06 6:45 AM (#26352 - in reply to #26347)

Master and Commander

Ralph Luther - 2009-05-06 8:26 AM

Darrin, you don't know Hairy very well. He's a bilge rat if there ever was one. Get him out of the bilgea and the guy just doesn't act right. He wanders around staring off into space and muttering to himself saying, "wtf-over".

Roger that; Ralph
If the hairy one sticks his head above the deck plates the snipes play "whack the mole" with it. He is a permanent denizen of the "oily spaces" and lives to wipe them down with a never ending supply of "Title B Rags" while the rest of us enjoy popcorn and Guinea s**tkickers during the movie marathons.
Hairball
Posted 2009-05-06 8:14 AM (#26356 - in reply to #26326)
Senior Crew

That's a good message Skii! Being on a Naval base I meet all-sorts and I was talking to a young lad who has just graduated from the Naval Engineering School here and he was asking me about submaires. BIG mistake because I cornered him and talked boats for about 1/2 an hour.

I've emailed him BOTTOMGUN's website and some other good boat sites as he's really intrerested in going into submarines! The CFNES, Canadian Forces School of Engineering, is done through Memerial University of Newfoundland here in St. John's and it's a top-notch school. I'm one lucky guy being able to work amongst these fired-up youngsters at my age. My best suit? My uniform!

Oh yeah, HMCS Windsor... I was introduced to the anachoic-tiling on the baot when I was visitng her. I had fallen flat on my face (for some unmentionable reason). I dig my fingernails into it. Intersting stuff, turns a PING into a dull-thud! Well... it went THUD when I hit it!

The smell on the boat was so good that ever since my visit - my best suit (not uniform this time) is now in a plastic bag so I can inhale it now and then... heady stuff!

Cheers and beers Hairy.
Hairball
Posted 2009-05-06 8:24 AM (#26357 - in reply to #26337)
Senior Crew

Listen you Ozzie git! That's the American spelling and I got it from some good submareeners! Hope your beer goes flat!

I see you guys are going to be build some Air Independant fuel boats soon with the wieght of your spending going into boats. Wize move my Ozzie mate.

When you look at what American boats did in the Pacific ton-for-ton they are the deadlest warship in (and under) the water. Good on ya - and screw the Yellow Peril

What's the weather doing your end of the planet? We had snow about a week ago and it was frosty this morning. Yeah, I should have gone to Oz instead of Canada, but the Polar Bears here are really cute, just ask Doc Grdner about that subject heh heh heh....

Hairy the Uncouth
Ralph Luther
Posted 2009-05-06 8:34 AM (#26358 - in reply to #26356)
COMSUBBBS

Hairball - 2009-05-06 11:14 AM

Oh yeah, HMCS Windsor... I was introduced to the anachoic-tiling on the baot when I was visitng her. I had fallen flat on my face (for some unmentionable reason). I dig my fingernails into it. Intersting stuff, turns a PING into a dull-thud! Well... it went THUD when I hit it!

The smell on the boat was so good that ever since my visit - my best suit (not uniform this time) is now in a plastic bag so I can inhale it now and then... heady stuff!

Okay, now here's the real story. Y'all remember what I said above about Hairy and being a life long loving Bilge Rat? Hairy has difficulty walking on his two feet. He is best on all fours, if you catch my drift. As for those clothes in the plastic bag...they are hanging in the shed outback and we all know how that is...BTDT
Cheers, Hairy!!! It's good to see you here around the chart table.
Hairball
Posted 2009-05-06 10:22 AM (#26361 - in reply to #26319)
Senior Crew

Subject: RE: HMCS Windsor - Posts.

Hi Ralph! Didn't know you could hoist a pint and type at the same time!

Guys, I don't know what's happening re the posts to HMCS Windsor other to say that I'm pretty sure it's not the crew's fault. I notice that mine was the last Post sometime last year. Yeah, it is embarassing...

OOOPS! Hvae to actually owrk now....

Later guys, Hairy of the Bilge (HEY! I like it down here!). Beer to all!
steamboat
Posted 2009-05-06 12:29 PM (#26364 - in reply to #26337)
Master and Commander

"Good to hear from you and a big hug to Rae....send her to Perth, I will look after her for a while....you can stay where you are"

Hairy, surely you know by now what a womanizer Blue is!! More than a few of us bore witness to that fact when in Arlington last month. And we have pictures to prove it. Don't you dare allow your lovely bride to get anywhere near that lecherous creature from Oz!

Steamboat sends
Blue from West Oz
Posted 2009-05-06 3:57 PM (#26374 - in reply to #26357)

Master and Commander

Subject: The Weather is....

just fine mate.

In the middle of Autumn ( 'Fall' ) and it is averaging 28c ( 82f ) this week....gotta love that! Problem is, we need RAIN and lots of it!

Polar Bears, phutuee......we have the ferocious Koala Bear that could kick your arse!

Blue *_*
Darrin
Posted 2009-05-06 5:52 PM (#26390 - in reply to #26319)

Great Sage of the Sea

Ralph,
I know the Hairball and I was hoping that he would finish his quals over on submarinemuseums.org or here that way he could actually get out of the bilges and watch a movie with the crew once in a while and then return back to the bilges where he wants to be but that isn't the case. Hairy my friend have a tall cool one on me and the next time that Blue orders a bucket of piss (pitcher of beer) give him a true bucket of piss (PING)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software