Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: The USS SKIPJACK was the first submarine designed from the keel up for top underwater performance using nuclear power. An earlier SKIPJACK was the first U.S. submarine to cross the Atlantic ocean under her own power (Newport, Rhode Island to Ponta Delgada, Azores, in 1917).
Reconnected to outside world
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

dex armstrong
Posted 2009-05-07 11:49 AM (#26408)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: Reconnected to outside world

Bill Kreher worked some kinda voodoo...tossed his magic chicken bones in the air...spoke in the unknown tongue to some guy in a far away hollow tree, who was called "tech rep" (a close friend of Yoda and Sparky the Wonder Dog) and typed in a lot of mystic words...codes...secret incantations...bra sizes...the names of the Seven Dwarfs...and a whole lotta stuff I know absolutely nothing about which means about everything that has a damn thing to do with cyberspace jungle drums, magic spelling boxes, internet stuff and electric information getters. I can operate, light switches, refrigerator handles (I don't understand how they know to turn on the light when you wanta get a half gallon jug of milk out or check and see what vegetables have gone bad.) and I've mastered how to trigger a toilet flush. At one point Bill told Mister Tech Rep, the guy operating out of that hollow tree in northern Honduras, that he was helping the dumbest bastard in North America...I have no idea who he was talking about cause there were just the two of us here. I would like to thank Joe Pheonix, Rick Hedman, Jon Krup, Ray, "the Goatman" Stone, Senor Stoops, and everyone except the sonuvabitch that sent me the post that had the Hippo Virus that super glued up the inside of my electrical connection box and loused it up. May your future generations turn out to be like Richard Simmons. I'm back...like athlete's foot, jock itch and the ugly girl at your class reunion. I feel resurrected...exhumed...dug up during an archelological excavation...I now fully understand how Casper the Friendly Ghost feels. GREAT...I now have to find out about (a) how Jon Krup's puppies are doing, (b) How to contact Bodega Bob, (c) If the Game Warden ever got a rope on Billy Bob, (d) If Millie ever killed Clear in his sleep and set him on fire (e) If Mandleblatt and the Duchess of Durban are doing OK (f) If John Wynn is still falling off bar stools at 40 School Street, (g) If Doc Gardner is still operating that bag full of hollering stray cats, (h) and if Bruce Miller ever mastered eating with a fork and the technical requirements of theuse of bathroom paper. GOOD TO BE BACK...Dex

Curt
Posted 2009-05-07 11:52 AM (#26409 - in reply to #26408)

Old Salt

Subject: RE: Reconnected to outside world

Awesome!
Jim M.
Posted 2009-05-07 12:27 PM (#26411 - in reply to #26408)

Great Sage of the Sea

dex armstrong - 2009-05-07 11:49 AM

....(e) If Mandleblatt and the Duchess of Durban are doing OK ... GOOD TO BE BACK...Dex

Wooohooo..three cheers and a tiger for you..we're doing fine Dex..
steamboat
Posted 2009-05-07 12:44 PM (#26412 - in reply to #26408)
Master and Commander

Uh-Oh! There goes the neighborhood. First Hairball, now Dex. Ya'll better hang onto your skivvies, we are in for a wild ride.... gonna be like snorkleing in the North Atlantic in January.
So, Dexter, did Bill reserrect your old 'puter or set you up with a yard sale special?
Steamboat sends
Park Dallis
Posted 2009-05-07 1:03 PM (#26414 - in reply to #26408)

Old Salt

Welcome back, DEX.  Been missin' your contributions here.
Stoops
Posted 2009-05-07 1:11 PM (#26415 - in reply to #26408)
Master and Commander

Welcome back! It's been too long!
Tom Conlon
Posted 2009-05-07 1:18 PM (#26416 - in reply to #26408)
Old Salt

HOOYAH!! It's good to have ya back, Dex. We've been short a TM or two, lately

Try to keep running HSN.
Ralph Luther
Posted 2009-05-07 1:38 PM (#26417 - in reply to #26408)
COMSUBBBS

Billy Kreher is the typical USS Sennet SS-408 Shipmate. Always there the lend a helping hand. Tell me, Dex, did Billy reach in your pocket and say he was looking for loose change? Billy was one hell of a Storekeeper. He could find much needed parts better than the best. He was a co-sal whiz kid.
Oh yeah, good to see you back cycling the vents again, Dex. I haven't had anyone to pick on other than John Clear.
Land Lubber
Posted 2009-05-07 1:56 PM (#26419 - in reply to #26408)
Old Salt

So...I'm betting ya fell asleep at the keyboard cause you have a lot of catching up to do.
WELCOME BACK DEX!!!!

Steve
Ric
Posted 2009-05-07 2:22 PM (#26421 - in reply to #26408)

Plankowner

Dexter... good to see you learned dd to use the "ON" switch and reconnected yourself to the world. thanxs for the hospitality when we "Swine of the Higher Order" visited your home. Have you ever told anyone why you decided to hang POD's picture in your bathroom? I know we all got a good laugh out of that. Especially Blue. Oh, wait.... I get it now... it prevents constipation..... takes me awhile sometimes.....

Take care buddy.

Doc Gardner
Posted 2009-05-07 2:25 PM (#26422 - in reply to #26408)

Master and Commander

dex armstrong - 2009-05-07 2:49 PM
(g) If Doc Gardner is still operating that bag full of hollering stray cats, (h) and if Bruce Miller ever mastered eating with a fork and the technical requirements of theuse of bathroom paper. GOOD TO BE BACK...Dex

Dex: The stray cats have taken up permanent residence and have learned to behave themselves. They even taught my dog (a Scottie no less) to howl whenever they go into "full throttle mode".
Good to see you back; if you ever learn how to work a DVD player I'll send you a DVD of "cat screeching"; guaranteed to rid your house of mice; your dog of fleas, and your neighbor of single malt scotch.
crystal
Posted 2009-05-07 2:32 PM (#26423 - in reply to #26408)

Master and Commander

Millie killed Clear after having had to watch that worst movie of all movies "SUB DOWN" - you win Dexter!!!!! Absolutely the "mostest, worstest" submarine movie in recent centuries... They actually spent money on that thing (obviously didn't make any)... I've seen better from the Our Gang Kids - really!!!! Thanks for the two hours of my life that I'll never recover!!!! Keep the box fed and don't let those viruses in again - hint, avoid answering too many messages from Nigeria!!!!

BTW: Ignore Ralphy - he's running on diesel fumes!

Edited by crystal 2009-05-07 2:36 PM
Blue from West Oz
Posted 2009-05-07 2:57 PM (#26425 - in reply to #26408)

Master and Commander

Subject: Dex....

...Dex who? lol

Hang on, this should be fun!

Great to see you a month or two ago and now back online.

Blue *_*
MAD DOG
Posted 2009-05-07 3:09 PM (#26426 - in reply to #26423)

Master and Commander

Welcome back Shipmate.
Just made a fresh pot of coffee and the flic starts in ten minutes(or whenever we get done cleaning up after evening chow).Draw a cup and tell us all about your
extended liberty period.How's Thelma?Did you rid the world of Rolling Rock and
Sly Fox? You've got a lot of 'splainin' to do,my friend. SmileyCentral.com

Edited by MAD DOG 2009-05-07 3:23 PM
GaryKC
Posted 2009-05-07 3:12 PM (#26428 - in reply to #26408)

COMSUBBBS

Finally.....my withdrawal symptoms cease. And I can stop trying to think up clever ways to make you respond.

If you get bored with posting here, take a look at this http://www.archive.org/stream/chattanoogacount010217mbp/chattanoogacount010217mbp_djvu.txt

The short history of Chattanooga.

Welcome back.

Stoops
Posted 2009-05-07 3:48 PM (#26430 - in reply to #26408)
Master and Commander

Subject: RE:oh crap...this doesn't bode well....

Get One BIG POT
THrow in Ralph Luther, John Clear, Ric Hedman, Dex Armstrong, and a few more bilge rats, put on a mild flame, and stir vigorously! Grab a big bowl of popcorn and get a front row seat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The After Battery is open....don't forget to duck!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Damn....does it get any better than this?
dex armstrong
Posted 2009-05-07 5:11 PM (#26432 - in reply to #26408)

COMSUBBBS

I just lost a post I had been working on for the better part of a half hour. I would like to be able to forego swinging from limb to limb for a brief moment. In my life I have made damn near every mistake an immature bastard can make...I've tapdanced in damn near every cowpie in God's pasture. I suffered from severe advanced retarded maturity. But. I made two wonderful, never regretted decisions. I got a wonderful bride...in spite of the advice of all my friends, Father and all my relatives...all self annointed experts in saving me from myself. "Dex, they don't think like us...don't have or values...Norwegians are weird...all the sonuvabitches eat are fish and goat cheese." "Solveig talks like Inger Stevens in the FARMER's DAUGHTER." "Betcha five bucks it doesn't last five years." (Well, It lasted 40 wonderful years and ended when she reluctantly left us in a bed in Alexandria Hospital in December 2005.) The other smart move was volunteering for submarine duty and being blessed by ending up on a wornout smokeboat they quit making parts for. They say that "confession is good for the soul"....Well, I signed up to ride the boats for the most immature reasons an eighteen year old could come up with....I damn near wore out my eyeballs watching DESTINATION TOKYO (Cary Grant), OPERATION PACIFIC (John Wayne), reading SUBMARINE by Captain Edward L. Beach jr, SUBMARINE OPERATIONS OF WORLD WAR II by Theodore Roscoe...(Actually read the paperback Penguin edition called PIGBOATS...easier to park behind an Algebra II text in study hall and a helluva lot more interesting.) And I was a devoted fan of that silver tongued devil Rear Admiral Thomas M. Dykers...(I was an E-3...if I called him Tommy Dykers, a 50,000 volt lightning bolt would hop out of the sky and rip my butt off.) A few of the things Admiral Dykers failed to mention included standing lookout in a freezing North Atlantic rain, dumping trash from the sail door in a state five sea, trying to keep 311 feet of antiquated, wornout diesel boat on the ordered depth when snorkeling in a section of the ocean experiencing seventy foot swells raging like a giant washing machine in the rinse cycle....He somehow forgot to mention venting No. 2 Sanitary Tank inboard....life in Hogans Alley....hot sacking...reversing blank flanges (spectical flanges, Dutchmen) hunkered down in the superstructure with ice water sloshing all over you from the limber holes. There was a lotta stuff they never told you at Sub School.....but they also forgot to tell you about all the wonderful bastards you would become friends for life with. Men who would be your family for a lifetime...men who set the standard for loyal, never-let-you-down shipmates. Men who would seek you out...comfort you, pick you up and set you on your feet when life landed haymakers on your jaw...men like Joe Pheonix who helped me get back on line, Ric Hedman who busted his butt trying to get me back on line and figured out what the problem was (Ric you were right), Ray Stone who applied his technical expertise and determined that hauling the entire contraption to the local landfill was the best course of action....Jon Krup who conjectured that an entire colony of electro-demons had established a large community in that big black box with all the wires coming out of it. When you live alone, friends who don't forget you and really care when they say, "Dex just called to see how you're doing, Shipmate?" are the pearls in your oyster of life....They are the prize you got in your qualification CrackerJack box....I never knew it at the time but the botherhood of undersea service was one of God's most wonderful gifts. Those of you (you know who you are) who have pulled me out of the ditch since she went away...know that it has been recognized, appreciated and has become something I will always be deeply grateful for. Even John Wynn who wore out some heavy lumber getting my attention by beating hell out of me and his version of a gentle wake-up call. And a special thanks to you Bill K. for all the work you did that has allowed me to return to Gentry's magic sandbox...and join all the other miscreants who go to this playground simply to look up the girls dresses on the swings and check out their bloomers when they hang upside down on the monkey bars. Damn it's good to be home. Your Indebted Shipmate DEX
Flapper
Posted 2009-05-07 5:57 PM (#26433 - in reply to #26432)

Master and Commander

Subject: Sharpen those harpoons me lads!

Now pull! Moby Dex is back!
miss lumpy bumps
Posted 2009-05-07 6:25 PM (#26434 - in reply to #26408)

COMSUBBBS

AH, SUCH SWEET WORDS...like "pure heaven"...

WELCOME BACK, Dear Friend.  You were sorely missed...especially by "yours truly"!  I am up in Groton as I write this post...having arrived about an hour ago...Return to Sub School and Anniversary Celebration...and I will find out if
John Wynn has fallen off any bar stools lately...and I think Jon's puppies are thriving...got a pix from him...they are adorable.

Well, something you don't know...you are now part of the "Swine of the Highest Order" (all us reprobates who invaded in March)...they even let me in... and I am in the best company.  Thank you.

Now that you are "back"...don't let the gerbils run out of food!!

Good to see you back.

Edited by miss lumpy bumps 2009-05-07 6:28 PM
Corabelle
Posted 2009-05-07 6:26 PM (#26435 - in reply to #26408)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: "D-e-e-x-x," said with tears in my eyes....

You never mentioned that you missed me.

Boo-hoo.....

Cora

I even thought of calling you, but have missplaced your phone number.

Cora
miss lumpy bumps
Posted 2009-05-07 6:30 PM (#26436 - in reply to #26435)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: RE: "D-e-e-x-x," said with tears in my eyes....

Ah Cora, he's still getting his feet wet...he wouldn't forget about you...or me...like the old saying goes "save the best for last"??? (<
Donald L. Johnson
Posted 2009-05-07 9:06 PM (#26447 - in reply to #26408)

Great Sage of the Sea

Yeee-hah, I'm sure glad I put my seat-belt on when I saw the subject line on that post. Still almost fell off my computer chair laughing, reading that "I'm Baaaack" message.

Glad you're back. This place has not been the same without your breathless prose.

Even Cora wondered where you were hiding.
Hairball
Posted 2009-05-07 11:12 PM (#26449 - in reply to #26412)
Senior Crew

steamboat - 2009-05-07 4:44 PM

Uh-Oh! There goes the neighborhood. First Hairball, now Dex. Ya'll better hang onto your skivvies, we are in for a wild ride.... gonna be like snorkleing in the North Atlantic in January.
So, Dexter, did Bill reserrect your old 'puter or set you up with a yard sale special?
Steamboat sends

Skivvies? Only sissies wear those! The skidmarks in my jeans is the only way I knw back from front, the zipper rusted shut years ago!

Lordy it's good to see you back Dex, it's too damm civilized without ya!

Cheers, Hairy.
Hairball
Posted 2009-05-07 11:17 PM (#26450 - in reply to #26422)
Senior Crew

Doc Gardner - 2009-05-07 6:25 PM

Dex: The stray cats have taken up permanent residence and have learned to behave themselves. They even taught my dog (a Scottie no less) to howl whenever they go into "full throttle mode".

C'mon Doc, tell them about how your Scottie learned Kung-Fu and busted-up your leg and then danced the Highland Jig on your mangled body! By the way Dex, Doc is now, Biker Doc! Don't know of he's earned his patch yet, but he has the Harley!

Hairy. Ooops! Forgot the beer in my last poist!
Smiley
Posted 2009-05-09 10:58 AM (#26485 - in reply to #26408)
Great Sage of the Sea

Welcome back Dex.. Good to see you are doing well.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software