Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: "There is a touch of the pirate about every man who wears the dolphins badge" - Commander Jeff Tall, RN
Fish for Vodka!
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Hairball
Posted 2009-05-07 11:05 PM (#26448)
Senior Crew

Subject: Fish for Vodka!

This summer I’m heading, with my beloved Rachel, to coastal Labrador, Lanse au Claire to be exact for a well-earned holiday. While there I shall be out with a friend on his fishing boat.

Now as you all know (?) that’s the Straits of Belle Isle waters with boomers from Russia sneaking down there. Now if there’s certain Alpha driver reading this, email me I’ll give you the exact coordinates and timings as to where this fishing boat will be, it will be deep water so don’t worry.

The boat’s white with blue superstructure, anyway, it will be the only boat there. So if you surface by us I’ll trade three buckets of the very-best Smoked Squid for three bottles of your best Stolichnaya vodka! OK? And maybe I can have a look-see visit onboard? It’s a fair trade comrade, so how about it?

Yes guys, I know a guy who drives one of these fast boats, that’s if he hasn’t retired yet! So who knows!

On the other hand maybe they need a fully unqualified bilge king and I’ll end up in Polanyi scrubbing floors in some FSB (former KGB) barracks!

On second thoughts, screw the visit on board, we’ll just do the trade and be on our respective way.

I know that during the Second World war a German U-Boat surfaced by a Newfie fishing schooner and did a similar trade, salt-cod for schnapps! Funny things happen round here. Another one. Also during the war a U-Boat sank an Iron-ore freighter while it was docked at Bell Island. The irony is that the same ore from bell Island supplied Germany with most of her ore and it’s very-probable that the steel in the U-Boat’s hull came from this island. Moral? Beware of who you trade with!

In closing I would say that it’s about time that another submarine movies be made to the same quality as Das Boot.

It’s dark outside, I’m defending North America and all is well, especially at home where Rachel is getting better and better! She’s now nagging me! Boy I really missed that!

Ain’t life good?

Cheers guys, Hairy the Horrible.
Sewer Pipe Snipe
Posted 2009-05-08 1:43 AM (#26453 - in reply to #26448)
Master and Commander

Subject: RE: Fish for Vodka!

If Racheal is nagging, a full recovery can not be far behind. The folks of Pawley's Island South Carolina were known to trade fresh vegetables to U-boats. Hymie's Ratskeller in Charleston was run by just such a U-boat Officer. Then again, I don't think the Geechee's on the Island even knew there was a war on.
Ralph Luther
Posted 2009-05-08 5:28 AM (#26457 - in reply to #26448)
COMSUBBBS

Labrador????? Vacation???? Great Scott man, are you daft/nuts? Yeah I know, we all know the answer to that one. You could come South--anywhere South to thaw out. Hells fire, even South to god forsaken Boston would be better than Labrador. I bet it's even warmer at John Bays place. You could help him get ready for the lobstah season or throw flowers at all the gay weddings to take place there. I wonder if you could beet Blue's record of lobsters consumed at one sitting.
Ric
Posted 2009-05-08 8:03 AM (#26462 - in reply to #26448)

Plankowner

"It’s dark outside, I’m defending North America ...."

Be afraid, be very afraid...................

My best to Rachel.

Smiley
Posted 2009-05-09 11:03 AM (#26486 - in reply to #26448)
Great Sage of the Sea

Hey landlocked Limey that's great news about Rachel.. Be sure to piss over the side of the boat... It'll ruin John Bay's fishing a few miles south of you...
Keep your Rusky vodka.. If you bring a few good single malts I'll swim up there to meet you guys,
Hairball
Posted 2009-05-13 6:38 AM (#26595 - in reply to #26448)
Senior Crew

Hi Guys, Rachel is coming along like the proverbial house-on-fire! It's a toin off my back and it does my heart good to see her so happy.

Just got off the phone to a buddy in Afghanistan, it's 125F at 18:30 in the evening! He's fallen in love with his air-conditioner! Amazing thing is that the phone line's so clear I thought he was calling from across town! Obvioussly I can't say too much here but I am proud to say that the guys are gung-ho in spades! Also, thank-you to our American brother's in Arms for all sorts of help I cannot mention here, but HUGE thanks guys.

All for now, Cheers and many beers! Hairy.
Ralph Luther
Posted 2009-05-13 12:07 PM (#26602 - in reply to #26595)
COMSUBBBS

Great news !!! Thanks Hairy
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software