Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: Coronation ceremonies of Emperor Alexander II of Russia in 1855 were enlivened by a submarine concert. Wilhelm Bauer, a Bavarian inventor, took three musicians under the waters of Kronstadt Harbor in a submarine he had built, where they played appropriate music during the coronation. The music was distinctly heard on the surface.
More bragging from a grandpa...................
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

TSpoon
Posted 2009-05-13 6:50 AM (#26598)
Great Sage of the Sea

Subject: More bragging from a grandpa...................

Along with all the other braggarts I have to put in my two bits.

For those who remember my grand daughter Briana from "The Bash", the one related to Charlie Goodnight, she is currently in training to analyze digital imagery in the Air Force.

If you watched 20-20 on Sunday evening you saw a story about Creech AFB, just outside Las Vegas, and how they are controlling Predator flights over Iraq and Afghanistan from there. They talked a little about the teams of analysts who work each flight. Briana has follow on orders to Creech in about two months.

As she just wrote me:
"I just got those pictures you sent me; they are AWESOME! Those are so old school, we're learning to analyze imagery digitally (all on the computer) so it's really neat to see the negatives you sent. Right now we're learning about Air order of battle - so all the airplanes and stuff, but starting Tuesday of next week we'll be learning Naval order of battle, so I should be able to do a lot better job of analyzing those pictures next week...I'll let you know what I find out, I might bring them into class and see if my instructors can tell me anything as well. Those are so cool though, I love them. My friend and I were looking at them and we're intrigued haha. Thank you for sending those, very cool."

This is in resonse to a bunch of negatives taken through the periscope of the USS Tirante SS-420 in abotu 1962 or 63. Also two 8x10 prints of a freighter and a DD from the negatives. They may have been taken during the Cuban Crises but my memory is fading. I gave her a small bit of info on the negatives and asked her to analyze them. Sort of a grandpa test for a granddaughter.LOL

I will let you all know what the Air Force trained folks come up with.

T.Spoon, DBF and a very proud Grandpa
steamboat
Posted 2009-05-13 2:20 PM (#26606 - in reply to #26598)
Master and Commander

Subject: RE: More bragging from a grandpa...................

Yep, Tim, you are "old school", alright. But she is your Granbabby, so what would you expect.
Sounds like she is on the cutting edge of future warfare, controlling the battlefield from air-conditioning 10,000 miles away. Sure ain't the war we trained for is it??
At least she said you are "Cool", old man!
I did see the 60 minutes article, by the way. Woulda paid more attention if I knew that was what Briana was training for. I do remember them saying the AF is ordering more unmanned planes than manned this year. Awsome. My sister's husband was a research engineer for army at Ft Eustis working on design of unmanned planes 20 years ago. If he were still alive he would be pleased at the state of the art of unmanned planes now.
Steamboat sends
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software