Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: In World War II the Germans lost 782 submarines, the Japanese lost 130, Great Britan and Commonwealth countries lost 88 subs, Russia lost 110 submarines and the United States lost only 52 submarines. Twenty-three of the Japanese subs lost were victims of the American Submarine Service.
Dad-gum motorcycles, anyway!!!
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Corabelle
Posted 2009-05-13 12:48 PM (#26604)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: Dad-gum motorcycles, anyway!!!

I have been working all morning gathering information on D.C. Tours. Cam has liberty on Memorial Day weekend, and since he's only 71 miles from D.C., he and I talked about him riding Amtrak to D.C. and picking up one of Graylines' Tours around the capital.

Everything seemed to be working out for a Hop-on, Hop-off double-decker tour, but since the Penn Line train does not run on the weekends, I wondered if some Graylines' Tours might not also.

I called Graylines in D.C. I asked if tours would be running that weekend, and the reply was, "Probably not. 500,000 (I think that's the number she gave me) motorcycles from Rolling Thunder always meet in D.C, that weekend, and the streets are so crowded, no one else can get around.

Damn!

Cam will be calling this afternoon to see what I learned, and I know he will be disapointed. He only has about five more weeks in that area, so I hope he can make it another weekend before he's assigned to his permanent base.

Again - DAMN!!!

Cora
Ralph Luther
Posted 2009-05-13 1:29 PM (#26605 - in reply to #26604)
COMSUBBBS

Subject: RE: Dad-gum motorcycles, anyway!!!

D.C. is pretty easy to get around in. Most hotels have a tour pamphlet available if you ask for one. The Metro runs all over the place and hotels have pamphlets for it also. He shouldn't have any problem seeing enough to keep him busy.
Tell Cam I said not to get anything on him that won't wash off. Those girls in D.C. like Marines and Submarine Sailors. Just ask Blue. If he should catch up with Dex... Lord-lord.
MAD DOG
Posted 2009-05-13 3:21 PM (#26608 - in reply to #26605)

Master and Commander

When you and Cam go to DC,BY ALL MEANS keep him out of Springfield,
He will be led astray by the SOTHO!
Jim M.
Posted 2009-05-13 4:24 PM (#26609 - in reply to #26604)

Great Sage of the Sea

Cora,

The Rolling Thunder takes place, I think on Monday, 25 May.. though there will be a lot of people down on the Mall in DC during the weekend, one thing being the Memorial Day concert on Sunday night.

However, you may want to take a look at the following -

http://www.dctours.us/tours/tourDetail.cfm?tour_id=8827 - I see these buses all the time. There's a toll free number..

There's also the Tourmobile and they should be running, but you can never be sure...

http://www.tourmobile.com/ - and there's a toll free number on this page - http://www.tourmobile.com/contact.php

Gil
Posted 2009-05-14 7:18 AM (#26652 - in reply to #26604)
Master and Commander

D.C. is an easy place to get around, especially  on a weekend.  Your senator and/or congressman can get you set up with a special FBI tour - different from the public tour and also tours of the Senate, House, or Whitehouse.  Also Arlington, the Pentagon, and the Smithsonian's are must sees.  The museum of natural history has the second floor devoted to the Hope Diamond and other famous stones.  Call or write (if time is available) your representatives.  It is a wonderful city and a great walking, subway and (use to be) reasonable taxi fare city.  Just make sure to be wary of your surroundings especially at night.  DC changes at night and be wary of pickpockets even in front of the Whitehouse.

I could spend two days in the Air and Space Museum myself, and if you go to Ford Theater go intohe little  museum below it and the former boarding house across the street.

When I was going to DC a lot of the hotels were cheaper on the weekends as people fled the city.  We stayed in the Hyatt just a few blocks from the Capitol at a dirt cheap weekend rate.  If you're not there on the weekend there were many hotels around the subway station in Alexandria.  Many were set up as suites and my mother and I shared one when I took her there.  Alexandria gets you easy access by subway into DC.

DC is a great travel destination and if you do your homework it is easily accessible.  Whatever you do  renting a car is not required or needed.

Enjoy Enjoy Enjoy!!!!

Edited by Gil 2009-05-14 8:49 AM
Doc Gardner
Posted 2009-05-14 11:10 AM (#26656 - in reply to #26604)

Master and Commander

Subject: Read about all the good they do

and maybe you won't feel quite so inconvenienced
http://www.rollingthunder1.com/
dex armstrong
Posted 2009-05-14 11:22 AM (#26657 - in reply to #26604)

COMSUBBBS

I've never really understood the Rolling Thunder thing....It's a kinda giant motorcycle jamboree that to me shows very little of what in days long ago passed for honoring the nation's service dead and the service of vets. Arlington National Cemetery used to be a serene, dignified, traquil place of honor. All entrances were guarded by members of what is known as THE OLD GUARD (3rd Infantry Regiment, affectionately known by those who serve or have served in it, as the THIRD HERD)...When the OLD GUARD manned the sentry posts the visitors were greeted by snappy salutes from crack troops in razor blade creased trou, spit shined shoes...patent leather accoutrements, holster, magazine case and pistol belt....spotless cap covers, shined medals and insignia and half inch flat top haircuts. Now the entrance security is provided by lowest bidder contract....guys with hats on sideways, shirt tails out...jackets unbuttoned...some showing the public that they have the dexterity to chomp on a Whopper and direct traffic at the same time. When I was in, every service man who entered the Cemetery, was required to wear the dress canvas of his particular service. Arlington was the nation's premier place of honor...It was the sacred repository of our Unknowns and the final resting place of two centuries of American War Dead. Now you see men standing graveside wearing rough-out combat boots, those digital cammoflage pajama looking rumpled BDU's....Looks like a bunch of Jiffy Lube mechanics standing in a circle. Rolling Thunder brings thousands of noisy motorcycles riding all over Hell and Half Georgia tying up traffic, wearing jackets with messages like "F-ck Fonda". "Yea, though I walk through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I will fear no evil...cause I'm the meanest Mother F-cker in the Valley." and other extremely raw messages. I'm an old fashion guy...a sonuvabitch who's lived too bloody long...I fail to see how, long hair, leather jackets, "brain buckets" with swastikas. iron crosses and other martial symbols that many men resting below the sod of that sacred ground, fought and died to put a stop to.....skulls, German "coal bucket" style helmets, combined with the loud noise of powerful engines honors military service, shows respect for ultimate sacrifice or contributes anything toward the dignity of Arlington. In the 40's and 50's our family dressed as we would have for Easter sevices, and my Father wore his dress blues with Brasso'ed medals, buffed up shoes and his jump wings with stars for four WWII combat jumps, when attending remembrance services at Arlington....and we visited lads he lost and officers who returned in field interred casket crates. Honor was the key word. DEX
Tom McNulty
Posted 2009-05-14 1:20 PM (#26658 - in reply to #26605)

Master and Commander

You guys that say DC is easy getting around in must all be from the south. Did you ever try getting out of DC to go north on I95 late in the afternoon? You southern guys have it easy. I will agree that once in DC it's easy to get around. The main attractions are within reasonable walking distance. If you want the White House tour get your reservation ticket at the kiosks on the mall early on.
Gil
Posted 2009-05-16 3:09 PM (#26678 - in reply to #26604)
Master and Commander

Only one time I drove into and around DC and I would never do it again.   I was referring to getting around with the Metro (was that what they called it) and via cab.  Also I loved walking all over.
RCK
Posted 2009-05-16 4:56 PM (#26683 - in reply to #26678)
Master and Commander

I rode the Metro, took buses, drove, and walked all over D.C. No motorcycle though!!! My wife could have given the tour at Mount Vernon. My mother did the one thing she wanted to do before she passed away.... tour the White House
Gil
Posted 2009-05-16 7:28 PM (#26685 - in reply to #26657)
Master and Commander

Dex,

I think you make a very valid point.

I was just wondering if you ever see the guy you  use to buy your newspaper from and bring him a coffee. I assume since you are retired you don't go by and see him everyday.

Edited by Gil 2009-05-17 6:43 AM
JrKrup, Skimmer
Posted 2009-05-17 12:40 PM (#26704 - in reply to #26685)

Master and Commander

Dex: I answered Gil via e-mail.
Jon
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software