Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: "I can assure you that they went down fighting and that their brothers who survived them took a grim toll of our savage enemy to avenge their deaths." Admiral Charles Lockwood
10 years ago yesterday...
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Don Gentry
Posted 2009-05-16 7:59 PM (#26686)

Admin

Subject: 10 years ago yesterday...

... I got an inspiration from Don Shelton's USS Ray website to put up a site with all the boats ever built and an opportunity to enter you personal data and relate it to any boat of the Navy... and a several years later, put up a BBS - this one - and here we are, ten years from day one.

Just a quick note of thanks for the priceless memories over the past ten years... this site has afforded me so many friendships that I did not earn in the traditional way... but there/here they are.. and continue to grow.

It's the ten year anniversary of the website... YOUR website, not mine... thanks so much and let's do another ten, eh?

All the best and a great 09/10!!

Humbly... Don

miss lumpy bumps
Posted 2009-05-16 8:12 PM (#26687 - in reply to #26686)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: RE: 10 years ago yesterday...

Happy Anniversary and kudos to you for keeping the site up and running.  It's a great place...even for an NQP like lil ole me.
Stoops
Posted 2009-05-17 4:08 AM (#26690 - in reply to #26686)
Master and Commander

And I for one, am damned glad you got that wild hair! I still have some partial html from the days when you had a blue background and yellow letters if memory serves!

Thanks, Don, for one great board!
Doc Gardner
Posted 2009-05-17 4:48 AM (#26691 - in reply to #26686)

Master and Commander

BZ and thanks for all the work you do on this. Got me to thinking about all the guys I have had the opportunity to meet, personally, because of this BBS and Ron's. Kind of like reporting aboard your new boat and getting to know the crew.
I'll sign up for another ten,

Edited by Doc Gardner 2009-05-17 4:49 AM
Blue from West Oz
Posted 2009-05-17 5:38 AM (#26692 - in reply to #26686)

Master and Commander

It has indeed been something else to have stumbled on your website ( along with Rontinis and Olgoats ) back in '99/00 when I first bought a home pc.
I too have made some amazing friendships and of course that trip across the USA in '04 which was put into a diary onboard this here BBS.
I have a lot to be thankful for due to the three websites I have mentioned.

Keep up the good work mate, and.....

...Thanks!

Blue *_*
Thomas Courtien
Posted 2009-05-17 8:22 AM (#26694 - in reply to #26686)
Master and Commander

This is by far one of the better sites I go to every day.

And, you cannot put a price on having a daily connection to other boat sailors.

Thanks Don.
GaryKC
Posted 2009-05-17 8:25 AM (#26695 - in reply to #26686)

COMSUBBBS

Don,

My thanks go out to you for providing a cyberplace for many of us to play in. Your help with my Tusk website has been fantastic. I'm sure the future of this website holds many wonderful experiences. Heck, maybe a cyber smell add on....

(fart.gif)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments fart.gif (10KB - 476 downloads)
Darrin
Posted 2009-05-17 10:17 AM (#26698 - in reply to #26686)

Great Sage of the Sea

Congrats Don for 10 years of maintaining this tree house for us miscreants to pay in, it is hard to believe that it has been that long already. Keep up the good work shipmate

Darrin
PaulR
Posted 2009-05-17 10:19 AM (#26699 - in reply to #26686)

Master and Commander

Don you've created my "go-to" place for my daily sub-fix.

Thanks

Skii
Posted 2009-05-17 12:07 PM (#26701 - in reply to #26686)

Great Sage of the Sea

Don it is great to see i last, thrive and strive to be a voice for the submarine families to share and enjoy the pride of serving. We are all proud and glad you founded it and have kept it going
for these 10 years. I hope all will continue to use it, sound on it, and support it.

ski
dex armstrong
Posted 2009-05-17 3:58 PM (#26710 - in reply to #26686)

COMSUBBBS

Great achievement....Wonderful creation...."Build it and they will come.", and the sonuvabithes came, like a Huidson Bay trading post where old tattered and torn rapcallions can come and trade products fashioned from pure horse manure...a place where lonely old coots can gather in the shade and thumb through their memories and share the crainial debris they've accumulated over their lifetimes. Nobody knows more that me, it is a place where the stupid, careless and thoughtless can come and be forgiven. Don, You've handcrafted a wonderful Holland Club waiting room. No one is indebted to you, sir more than me...I don't know how I would have survived after I lost my Solveig if it hadn't been for your magic clubhouse and all the regular limb swingers who turn up. My only failure to live up to a promise made to you, was burying the hatchet with Corabelle...Tried without success...Guess this old coot comes packaged with too many fleas, But, I want to add my sincere thanks to your Mother for turning out such a son and shipmate. You're OK...No better than that you're what submarine sailoring is all about. Proud to be your friend, DEX
Corabelle
Posted 2009-05-17 9:05 PM (#26714 - in reply to #26710)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: Gee, Dex-

I thought we had buried the hatchet. Is there something I don't know?

I've been kinda delinquent posting of late. I'm submerged (how 'bout that?) in writing about the submersible ship USS Sterlet (Submersible Ship - 392). It's going slow, but well. A friend, involved with helping me with some of the technical stuff - you know, computer stuff - said it's shaping up to be a coffee table book. Is that what they're called? The help for all the other technical stuff - submarine stuff - came from youse guys.

I really am going to call you one of these days. Be expecting it. Maybe some 4:00 a.m. Let's see, what time would that be for me? What time zone are you in? I'm in Mountain Daylight Time.

Oh, and yes, Don, the BBS kept me and my brother going for a number of years, and since 2006, me alone out here in this landlocked state. Thank you so much. Is this the year you're coming back to the Rally? Seems as though, when we parted, you said, "Not next year 2008, but the year after. Nine comes after eight.

Cora

Edited by Corabelle 2009-05-17 9:08 PM
dex armstrong
Posted 2009-05-18 11:44 AM (#26727 - in reply to #26686)

COMSUBBBS

Corabelle, I'm a notorious sporadic sleeper....Since Solveig died I have a hellu7va time going to sleep and by 4am I am usually up roaming around or watching a late night naughty movie....you know, those wee hour of the morning nekkit lady no discernable plot barn burners. My phone is (703) 971-3092....Don't leave a message if I don't pick up...I'm a cromagnon and I don't do voicemail. Be good and hope you get your book published so I can buy a few copies. DEX
Ric
Posted 2009-05-18 12:45 PM (#26732 - in reply to #26727)

Plankowner

Subject: Cora

He means that, a couple of books. I've never seen anyplace but bookstore have more than one copy of anything in a book case but Dex's place.
miss lumpy bumps
Posted 2009-05-18 3:11 PM (#26749 - in reply to #26732)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: RE: Cora...ME TOO...

WHAT HE SAID...put me on that list of those wanting a copy(s) of that wonderful book you are putting together.  I wouldn't miss putting a copy of it in our "library"!!!
Coyote
Posted 2009-05-18 3:25 PM (#26750 - in reply to #26686)

Master and Commander

BZ, Don

Coyote
Boy Throttleman
Posted 2009-05-18 9:31 PM (#26788 - in reply to #26686)

Old Salt

Thanks Don you are a true Prince among Shipmates
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software