Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: "Alright gentlemen up and at it...Rub-a-Dub Dub, let's scrub up the F***ing sub!" - Garnett Curtis, COB, USS Phoenix
Gil, About Andrew, the fellow who sold newspapers
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

dex armstrong
Posted 2009-05-17 3:10 PM (#26707)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: Gil, About Andrew, the fellow who sold newspapers

Gil, He was a gentle poor soul....I have no idea what demons tormented his soul and led him down the path of homelessness. He was a kind and generous person....a fellow who appeared to compensate for the lonliness of his life by sharing himself with others....He always had a smile and a friendly greeting for his regulars...He wore a raggedy, torn surplus Army field jacket...geasy blue jeans...ragged torn tennis shoes and in winter a hat with hanging earflaps. The homeless folks who live in DC are not the happy bums portrayed by Red Skelton...they are mean and the strong prey on the weak and take advantage of the innocent and helpless. They beat Andrew up regularly and took his things...his face constantly displayed bruises, contusions, scabs, nicks, cuts and the results of many beatings.....I passed his location many times after my retirement...When I was working, Andrew kept me posted on all the developments at the National Zoo (especially the twin white tiger cubs)...Talking to Andrew, waiting for the light to change and two cups of float a rock coffee were my favorite "Things you do in the morning." One day, I spotted the beat patrol officer who patrolled the Washington Monument grounds and did his best to watch over our mutual friend Andrew. I pulled over to the curb and yelled, "Where's Andrew?" "DEAD", "Dead? How'n the hell did that happen?" "Autopsy concluded that an organ puncture and internal hemmoraging caused by beatings administered by his fellow homeless companions." I made time to go to the Zoo and inform his friends the white tiger twins...and go by Arlington and tell Solveig...and from time to time, especially in anything comes on TV involving tigers, penguins (Andrew loved the penguins) or baby ducks...I have a beer and think about my shaggy haired. very dear pal, who called me Submarine Man...I miss him....The world would be a lot better place if God had chosen to populate the whole damn planet with Andrews. Gil and Jon, Bless you both for caring and asking about him...I truly believe that the only immortality worth a damn is found in the caring of your friends and being honored by being remembered. Thank you again. DEX
Curt
Posted 2009-05-18 12:45 AM (#26715 - in reply to #26707)

Old Salt

Subject: RE: Gil, About Andrew, the fellow who sold newspapers

Dex, I'm sorry for your loss.
dex armstrong
Posted 2009-05-18 8:17 AM (#26720 - in reply to #26707)

COMSUBBBS

Curt, The honor was in knowing him...I truly feel that Andrew left the world a better place for having passed this way. I will alwaysremember that grinning, unwashed face, his long greasy hair and that "goofy as hell" hat. And I am most grateful that Jon Krup, John Wynn and Gil Raynor remember him. DEX
Land Lubber
Posted 2009-05-18 2:32 PM (#26743 - in reply to #26707)
Old Salt

Dex, I know the felling. I worked security at a shopping center in the beach area. There were a couple of homeless guys that would hang around the property. It was a safe area with very little crime. One of the guys applied to work as a security officer but was cought about two days later taking coins from an outside fountain. (the coins were removed once a month or so and donated to a charity). But he was a good man. He wouldn't harm anyone and was always quick to point out anybody that was on property that may have been up to no good. Well I realized I had not seen him for about a week and asked the other homeless guy if he knew anything. I was told the man had gone to Long Beach. The guy who told be that also told me he had tried to talk the guy out of going there. Long Beach, downtown anyway, is a bad place. A lot of the homeless there have mental issues and no medication to help them cope and of course some are just addicts. Well about two weeks later I heard from the remaining homless guy that our friend had been murdered in downtown Long Beach. He hadn't been there long before he was killed. The news was quite a blow. I know the man received some form of payment each month but it was not enough for him to afford rent, food, utilities, etc. . It is just a sad situation. I know it may seem wrong, but when I read about corporate leaders who receive muti-million payments after they have fouled up the orginization that they worked for and the people who trusted them, well my blood just boils.
Take Care
Steve
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software