Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: In clear water, a submerged submarine can be spotted from the air at depths up to 100 feet.
What'n the hell happened to the US Postal System?
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

dex armstrong
Posted 2009-05-18 2:58 PM (#26746)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: What'n the hell happened to the US Postal System?

I'm a believer and supporter of the US Postal System...I know everyone in my local post office and bring seasonal presents such as flowers, teddy bears, Easter Bunnies, Halloween baskets and take them to lunch on occasion (Wendy and Cathy). When my Solveig died, these two lovely ladies adopted me and called regularly to check on me, check on whether or not I was eating and brush away the clouds of depression. Wonderful doesn't even begin to characterize these terriffic ladies....Having said that...the detrerioration of the entire spectrum of postal services is very evident and professionalism, competency, is going to Hell in a handbasket. Most of you know my view that progress, modernization, advancing trechnology and futuristic change don't necessarily equate to positive improvement. Case in point, our postal services were once the envy of the entire world. Other major powers emulated us...We were the standard by which the delivery of quality services was measured. That is no longer the case...privitization of mail delivery has turned our mail service into what is rapidly becoming a third world type operation. Does the United States Post Office really need to hawk trinkets? Bugs Bunny tie clips, Key chains, Stamp collecting albums, Framed stamps, Barrak Obama posters, framed commemorative newspapers, Election night postmarked envelopes with Barrak's picture on them....ties with the Presidential seal and the Presidents photo on them...For Pete's sake, it's a post office not a bloody souvenier shop. Remember American stamps we had as children...beautifully engraved stamps depicting historical events, great Americans, National landmarks, famous composers, musicians, artists, writers, playwrites, famous scientists, medical personalities....well, you get the idea....Now you can buy crappy looking stamps bearing the pictures of Charlie Brown and Snoopy, Baseball players gobbling steroids to break records left us by players who never wrapped themselves aroung any performance enhancing substance, except Wheaties. The reason I've taken up this rant is that I just returned from the Post Office and folks are lined up to get sheets of the Simpson family stamps...I'm not sure that I want my country represented by the damn Simpsons....no more than I want it represented by Charlie Manson, Roesy O'Donnell, The Chairman of the North American Alliance of Gays and Lesbians....or Petey the surfboarding squirrel....What happened to the wonderfully engraved stamps? I don't think on duty postal employees need to hold personal long range cell phone conversations with residents on the Planet Mongo and the Emporer Ming. I want my cheap rate no inflated rate mail, back...The days where the postal service was just that...a place where dependable people went to, Slade Cutter Capt USN and Uncle Charlie can meet other unsalvagable underwater hole punchers and swap horse manure and mail stuff. Who in the hell thought we needed Bart Simpson on a bloody postal stamp? DEX
Lee Davenport
Posted 2009-05-18 4:11 PM (#26758 - in reply to #26746)
Crew

Subject: RE: What'n the hell happened to the US Postal System?

Hopefully balancing out and perhaps offsetting all those cutsie poo things, is the new 44 cent purple heart stamp. Bought a book of them last week...Worth every penny.
Mac McCoy
Posted 2009-05-18 4:25 PM (#26761 - in reply to #26746)
Senior Crew

Three things have happened to the USPS. Business is down due to stupid decisions made long ago and to electronic (computers) communications. No one writes letters when they can send an email. USPS many years ago did not want to handle packages. So UPS and FedEx became their competitors. The third problem can be summed up in one word.
UNIONS.
dex armstrong
Posted 2009-05-18 4:53 PM (#26763 - in reply to #26746)

COMSUBBBS

One thing that really threw the monkey wrench in our local post office is the handling of passports and registration of aliens. The place used to be a quiet peaceful place that was extremely courteous and efficient...Now it's an understaffed inefficient place with discarded trash and tossed away passport forms all over the place. The place has turned into a Spanish and Arab flea market....with used Pampers stuffed in what used to be waste paper disposal and recycle recepticles....That's progress for you....Lee, on the 27th of May the Post Office is coming out with the Bob Hope commemorative issue...no man deserves the honor more than that selfless bastard for all he did for the forgotten serviceman and the men parked on the cutting edge of hostilities. I wondered when we would get around to honoring this wonderful American legend. I think we need to name a ship after him, but there's already a USS HOPE, hospital ship. Maybe name some special ops training facility, FORT HOPE....or maybe put up a fifty foot high statue of him on a hill overlooking Hollywood. DEX
BlackBeard
Posted 2009-05-18 7:13 PM (#26780 - in reply to #26746)

Great Sage of the Sea

..."Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds,"

I live 1.5 miles from our local post office. They refuse to deliver to me because we live on a dirt road. Some f*&$%ng service there...

BB
Tom Curtis
Posted 2009-05-18 9:26 PM (#26787 - in reply to #26763)

Crew

Subject: USNS Bob Hope

See the link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USNS_Bob_Hope
Runner485
Posted 2009-05-19 2:40 PM (#26808 - in reply to #26780)

COMSUBBBS

BlackBeard - 2009-05-18 7:13 PM..."Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds," I live 1.5 miles from our local post office. They refuse to deliver to me because we live on a dirt road. Some f*&$%ng service there... BB

What the hell is with these people Sean. A dirt road scares them? What would happen if you refused to pick up your mail? I use them the lease as possible. 20 stamps last me a very long time. Everthing I do is on the internet. Geez, what nerve.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software