Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: Robert Fulton, inventor of the steamboat, was an avid submarine enthusiast. He built several submersible warships, one of which was known as the Nautilus.
Cruise Again
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Bear
Posted 2009-05-27 2:21 PM (#27108)

Great Sage of the Sea

Subject: Cruise Again

Hey this is not meant to stir up that Hornets Nest again but just asking a simple question. If I set up a cruise from San Diego most likely on Nov 30 returning on Dec 4 with stops at Catalina Island and Ensenedas Mexico would anyone be interested in going. It would be Carnival's Elation Cost $252 per person inside and $296 per person outside (I know the website says $154 but that does not include $48 in port taxes and $40 in gratuities) My qual boat wants to do a reunion and after I started making calls I decide that I think I am going even if they don't want to. The rest of the story 1 There is one comp room for every 16 cabins, will most like be used to cover trinkets for everyone and/or a refund for everyone. 2 You will have to get a passport if you don't have one. 3 Does not include getting your butt to San Diego or your bar or cigar (cubans) tab. 4 Should allow for ~$50 or $60 more in gratuities besides the $40 figured in. I will have to make the call by mid June and the deposit is $150 by end of June. 5 Be more than glad to take on more planners in the process.
crystal
Posted 2009-05-28 3:28 PM (#27124 - in reply to #27108)

Master and Commander

Subject: RE: Cruise Again

Bear, noble cause "but" the USSVI Convention down there will more than likely wipe me out financially and physically! I'm driving it (3,000 miles round trip)... Next time...
Bear
Posted 2009-05-28 4:06 PM (#27125 - in reply to #27108)

Great Sage of the Sea

I understand John The extra fees, taxes and licensing are going to keep us from being a vendor in S. Diego (plus I can not be three places at one time..... vendor, ISS, and USSVI) so it is unlikely I will go to convention as none of my boats will be doing a reunion there. The younger part of Aspro's history (whom are not USSVI) are the ones driving for a Fall reunion (and I will not even suggest San Diego convention because of the excessive costs overall)  I wanted Aspro to be next spring.

Bear
Posted 2009-05-28 4:13 PM (#27126 - in reply to #27108)

Great Sage of the Sea

You know maybe we should get a bus from some one and do the trip as a great road trip. I need to renew my medical to drive commercially but think I can drive it as a private trip with out the med card. Most availiable coaches haul 48 to 57 pax and get 8 MPG  Maybe we should look at a charter. I would think about going down in a Bus but I hate the discomfort of flying. That would be a road trip to remember I think.

whalen
Posted 2009-05-28 6:13 PM (#27130 - in reply to #27126)

Great Sage of the Sea

Subject: RE: Cruise Again -- BUS TRIP?

Reply to: sale-dqygd-1173234039@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]
Date: 2009-05-15, 10:32PM EDT

free 1957 greyhound bus...has some parts missing but still has motor and transmission...it is diesel. good for parts or scrap...but its free u haul away...contact me at 352-434 2636 if interested...thanks for looking.

• it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
Bear
Posted 2009-05-28 6:45 PM (#27131 - in reply to #27108)

Great Sage of the Sea

That would be a great project for one big or several small bases to do.

crystal
Posted 2009-05-28 8:04 PM (#27133 - in reply to #27108)

Master and Commander

I've got to drive down as shipping all the stuff for (1) the Submarine Film Fest (2) Sea Lion Reunion and (3) "Submarine Memorabilia" as a vendor would be cost prohibative let alone the hassle trying to ship leftovers back on Sunday or (?)... I worked out numbers compared to shipping, flying and renting a car, cheaper to drive by several hundred bucks BUT what a pain the the "okole" doing a 3,000 mile round trip! 
Ralph Luther
Posted 2009-05-29 6:29 AM (#27139 - in reply to #27126)
COMSUBBBS

Bear, I learned the hard way...... If you have a CDL of any catagory or weight limit you MUST have in your possesion a valid CURRENT medical card( Federal Law). Since I retired from trucking I had kept my CDL Class A with Bus and HazMat endosements. I let my medical card expire because I was no longer driving commercial vehicles....WRONG ! Got checked at a license check a couple months ago, while in the family car, and got nailed for "expired Medical card". South Carolina suspended my license until I either renewed my Medical Card or renewed my driver license as a Non-CDL. A new Medical Card was going to cost $90 for a DOT Physical. The new drivers license was $12. I no longer carry a CDL.
Runner485
Posted 2009-05-29 6:33 AM (#27141 - in reply to #27108)

COMSUBBBS

Bear,

Sounds like a great way to have a ships reunion....The price seems to be right too!
Bear
Posted 2009-05-29 9:17 AM (#27156 - in reply to #27108)

Great Sage of the Sea

I checked DOL told me if the vechicle is registered as commercial I would need a valid Med card but if the vechicle is not licensed as commercial it would be treated as if it were a motor home. But before I would get behind the whell I would try for my med card, but being insulin dependant I might not get it.

I think the cruise is a great reunion idea I am getting very close to saying the heck with it an start planning in detail for a spring cruise if Aspro doesn't want to go and it will be open to all hands as well (the Nov inquiry is for all hands not just Aspro

Bear
Posted 2009-05-29 9:18 AM (#27157 - in reply to #27156)

Great Sage of the Sea

I definitely want as many BBS as we can get on it so we can put faces to names
Rambo
Posted 2009-05-30 9:12 AM (#27204 - in reply to #27139)

Mess cooking

There may be something in your State law, but it looks to me like Federal Regulations only require a medical card when you are driving a commercial vehicle. Here is from CFR 391.41...

(a) A person shall not drive a commercial motor vehicle unless he/she is physically qualified to do so and, except as provided in §391.67, has on his/her person the original, or a photographic copy, of a medical examiner’s certificate that he/she is physically qualified to drive a commercial motor vehicle.*

I no longer work enforcement much but will try to remember to ask a trooper next week about Washington law. I only worked commercial vehicles and don't know much about non-commercial enforcement.

here's an address to CFR 391.41 http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regulations/administration/fmcsr/fmcsrruletext.asp?chunkKey=09016334800238b9
Ralph Luther
Posted 2009-05-30 9:36 AM (#27205 - in reply to #27204)
COMSUBBBS

Thanks, Randy!. It could be state law. I didn't pursue it further at the time as I hadn't driven commercial in over 3 years and didn't/don't have any plans to so again. The license I have now carries me up to 26k non-commercial.
I use to truck into the Dow Plant in Tacoma years ago, maybe, our paths crossed a time or two. My next trip to the Washington are will be a motor home, if and when the time ever comes. Ya never know when I might slip up on the old worn out CPO out there.
Ric
Posted 2009-05-30 9:45 AM (#27207 - in reply to #27205)

Plankowner

Well, let me know when you plan on coming. I make sure to keep you away from John Clear...:-)
Ralph Luther
Posted 2009-05-30 9:48 AM (#27209 - in reply to #27207)
COMSUBBBS

John Clear?????? Is that the old worn out CPO's name?? Ric, I think you may be on to something there.
Ric
Posted 2009-05-30 10:11 AM (#27210 - in reply to #27209)

Plankowner

I can probably arrange for you to meet and spar...er ...talk....
Ralph Luther
Posted 2009-05-30 11:59 AM (#27212 - in reply to #27210)
COMSUBBBS

Spar????? Why, what for?? John is a real good guy. He's just old and worn out. Question is, worn out from what?

Edited by Ralph Luther 2009-05-30 12:00 PM
Donald L. Johnson
Posted 2009-05-30 12:27 PM (#27214 - in reply to #27133)

Great Sage of the Sea

You look at Amtrak?

There used to be a Coastliner that ran from Seattle to L.A.
I know there is a train from Oakland through Los Angeles to San Diego & back.

Depending on how much merchandise you are carrying, might be worth the cost to let them do the driving while you enjoy the scenery. Especially if the old okole is not as well-padded as it used to be.
Ralph Luther
Posted 2009-05-30 1:55 PM (#27224 - in reply to #27214)
COMSUBBBS

Don, have you ever seen one of those old western movies and the screen where the old timer as the wagon load of pots, pans and whatever? Well, that's a true picture of John Clear going to a USSVI Convention without a doubt. Must say though that John resembles the old snake oil salesman for sure. If I'm lyin, I'm dyin !!!
Donald L. Johnson
Posted 2009-05-30 2:02 PM (#27226 - in reply to #27214)

Great Sage of the Sea

Yeah, I remember the old peddler's wagon.

Or old Wishbone's chuckwagon from "Rawhide".

That would fill the baggage car, and make it difficult to get from the station to the Convention hotel.

So his best option might be a big U-haul and a co-pilot.

But for those not so burdened, the train might be a good option.

Ralph Luther
Posted 2009-05-30 2:43 PM (#27234 - in reply to #27226)
COMSUBBBS

Well, by Jove, Don, you've got it !!!!!!! By golly, take a look at John Clear and a picture of ole Wishbone. Dog-gone if there ain't a powerful resemblance there. Chip off the old block, I'd say.
Here's to ya Don.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software