Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: "It's hard sometimes, but as long as we remember them around the campfire, they will live forever." -- Walt Specht
Must Defend "Rolling Thunder"
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Smiley
Posted 2009-05-29 2:37 PM (#27174)
Great Sage of the Sea

Subject: Must Defend "Rolling Thunder"

After reading the posts below I think I should add my 2 cents. I have been a member of "The Rolling Thunder MC" for several years now. My VFW Post has several Motorcycle riders and we all decided to make the ride to the Vietnam Memorial about 10 years back. We hooked up with the local "Rolling Thunder MC" for the ride. The Rolling Thunder MC is comprised of "Vietnam Veterans" a great organization and I joined. Originally you had to have a Vietnam Service Medal to join but the memberships have lightened up a little and Vietnam Period Service is accepted in some locals Hell they even let Rice Burners, Pommy Bikes and Spagetti Rockets in the mix. We often share rides with the Blue Knights and sometimes ride with the Patriot Riders.. The Blue Knights are a Police Club and Red Knights are a fireman's club and the Patriot Guards are just Patriotic riders many of which are Veterans but not all. Anyway I have met many hundreds of "Rolling Thunder" Brothers and I have never seen a Iron cross or any of the Nazi related BS on their vests.. Now I do wear my dolphins and lots of POW and Vietnam related patches etc and almost all of our members wear the same etc. Yes I've seen motorcycle people wearing the Nazi stuff but none were in Rolling Thunder or The Blue Knights or Red Knights to my knowledge anyway.It's not our style we all have our own "emblems and Patches etc." as well as our own "Colors",, I do wear my VFW "Cross" on a patch on my "Colors Jacket" but I dare anyone to tell the VFW their "Cross" is Nazi.. Almost every Rolling Thunder rider I have met is a Patriot of the highest order and has paid their dues in full to be in that Brotherhood of Bikers.
As for the other Bikers who wear Nazi stuff that's their own business..
It's been a while since I posted here but I felt I had to set the record straight on The Rolling Thunder MC..
Hey who are we to look down on Club Colors...
dex armstrong
Posted 2009-05-30 2:20 PM (#27230 - in reply to #27174)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: RE: Must Defend "Rolling Thunder"

Smiley, Why don't you upstanding patriots, put a stop to all that Nazi crap? Do you think for one minute the men of The Greatest Generation, would have tolerated that garbage connected with ANYTHING they did, belonged to or were a part of? Horsefly, they stamped out the actual swastika wearing sonuvabitches...the guys who invented all that SS garbage, Iron Crosses, and cowardly brutalized entire populations. Don't you bikers care enough about the two Unconditional Surrenders they brought home to honor them with cleaning up this outfit you say honors veterans? By turning a blind eye to that Nazi regalia, you guys dishonor the veterans who fought, suffered and died to eradicate the stuff you tolerate. Does this motor cycle club possess the backbone, to put a stop to it? It's too damn prevalent to be an abberant thing....Stand up, grow an organizational spine...step up in the name of the lads who cut their bloody way from Tunis to Berlin to crush the folks who wore the symbols you so cavalierly dismiss, and put an end to it. Let's face it, considering your obvious numbers and the fact that you are supposed to be tough military vets, you should make it known to these animals that that garbage is not welcome. If you fellows stand up, take a man's stand...that trash will go away. Smiley until that day. you guys are all talk and no "do"....DEX
Ralph Luther
Posted 2009-05-30 2:37 PM (#27233 - in reply to #27230)
COMSUBBBS

Why single out anyone or any organization to do the chore, Dex? What's wrong with the general population, you, me or anyone else? I guess it's because they have a freedom to do that sort of thing that the troops buried in Arlington and places like that fought and died for. Don't get me wrong!!! I think them showing themselves there and being a bunch of wannabees is despicable too
Smiley
Posted 2009-05-30 3:11 PM (#27236 - in reply to #27230)
Great Sage of the Sea

dex armstrong - 2009-05-30 5:20 PM

Smiley, Why don't you upstanding patriots, put a stop to all that Nazi crap? Do you think for one minute the men of The Greatest Generation, would have tolerated that garbage connected with ANYTHING they did, belonged to or were a part of? Horsefly, they stamped out the actual swastika wearing sonuvabitches...the guys who invented all that SS garbage, Iron Crosses, and cowardly brutalized entire populations. Don't you bikers care enough about the two Unconditional Surrenders they brought home to honor them with cleaning up this outfit you say honors veterans? By turning a blind eye to that Nazi regalia, you guys dishonor the veterans who fought, suffered and died to eradicate the stuff you tolerate. Does this motor cycle club possess the backbone, to put a stop to it? It's too damn prevalent to be an abberant thing....Stand up, grow an organizational spine...step up in the name of the lads who cut their bloody way from Tunis to Berlin to crush the folks who wore the symbols you so cavalierly dismiss, and put an end to it. Let's face it, considering your obvious numbers and the fact that you are supposed to be tough military vets, you should make it known to these animals that that garbage is not welcome. If you fellows stand up, take a man's stand...that trash will go away. Smiley until that day. you guys are all talk and no "do"....DEX

Dex~ I do understand what you are saying,, Then where does it stop,, Should we be trashing Hondas' Kawasakis, Mitsubishis, Toyotas, VWs ( Hitler's "Peoples Car")
Mercedes Benz and BMWs Hell even Ferarris and Fiats for that matter. all of which Companies contributed to killing Americans Thousands of times over.. Should we put their owners in stocks and stone them to death? What makes this Country great is our freedom to choose and freedom to express ourselves.. In my humble and very Patriotic opinion and In light of 2 of our greatest Car Companies just about to bite the dust I think people who have been buying Imports all along are doing more damage to America than a bunch of Fools on Motorcycles wearing Nazi Jewerly. But they both have the great fortune of living in a Country that allows that freedom. I too have the highest regard for "The Greatest Generation" even with memories of some of them dwelling in our VFWs trashing Vietnam Veterans when they joined claiming that they should not be eligible..Those I have forgiven.. Unfortunitly we even see this happening today to many of our returning Heros from Afghanistan and Iraq..
I learned a long time ago arguing with fools is a foolish endeavor and a waste of good time....Hey Dex you may be a tough Military vet but I'm just a lover.. not a fighter. I was (and I still am) a longhaired Red White and Blue collared American that got caught in the draft did his time and went home..No apologies sport.
Life is Good..
dex armstrong
Posted 2009-05-30 4:56 PM (#27240 - in reply to #27174)

COMSUBBBS

Smiley, Sit down...The products you mention do not display Swastikas, Deaths heads, ss lightning bolts reproductions of iron crosses. They do not celebrate a repulsive band of depraved thugs led by the worst kind of fanatics. One of the terms of the unconditional surrender was that ALL Nazi symbolism be destroyed....There are famous photos of the explosive demolition of Swastikas and Kraut Eagles on top of the Reichstag, Brandenberg Gate, The Ampatheater at Nuremberg and at Spandau Prison. If you sold VW's with Nazi symbols on them, you'd go broke....Many Americans to include most of the present generation have no idea that there is a wartime connection with VW, I.G. Farben, Krupp, Mitsubishi (Mitsi fighters), and many other firms operating in countries that were our former enemies. We took the Swastika flag away from the Germans...just like the Russians removed all vestages of the hammer and sicycle that was a hated reminder of the severity and horror of the Soviet Union. I feel sorry for you belonging to an organization that obviously requires you to apologize for and try to justify despicable symbolism with the third grade argument..."Well everybody does it." Animals show up at NAACP functions with Confederate flags and Klan Symbols...You find that OK? NAZI skinheads wearing the exact stuff worn by the obviously pro-Nazi Thunder bikers, picket the Hollacost (apologies for not knowing how that is spelled) Museum protected by our sacred First Ammendment rights...do you approve of that? Hell. everybody's doing it...I don't know, I grew up in a household as the son of a man, whose wounded troops showed up at our front door...men missing arms, legs...men scarred from risking all to destroy the symbolism you defend. And to answer your question, YES...If the outfits you mention still supported the ideals represented by those despicable regimes, they should be shunned by all decent people. Say like Cuban cigars....Bolivian and Pakistani dope....Child prostitution from the Balkans and Thailand...and Somolian slave labor. An outfit that is so weak. it can't control the actions of its' membership...an outfit that allows and condones action and symbolism repugnant to most of Americas true patriot veterans, ain't much of an outfit. Smiley, you see any Nazi crap at an American Legion convention? VFW gathering? The annual convention of the 82nd Airborne Division? You see anyone waving Jap battle flags at the Pearl Harbor Day remembrances? Anyone yelling "Bonzai, die American dog." at the Iwo Jima Memorial?....Why, because the patriotic bastards who crawled those bloody beaches wouldn't tolerate for one minute what your outfit tolerates....The difference, two words HONOR and RESPECT for the memories of fallen comrads who fell fighting the animals you seem to have ambivalent feelings about. DEX
Smiley
Posted 2009-05-30 5:53 PM (#27243 - in reply to #27174)
Great Sage of the Sea

Dex~ as the very proud first born Son of a Jewish Mother and having family members who have many issues beyond your sick imagination with Nazis and their symbols. I have never defended their display and I find it offensive to a fault that you say I do.. I don't know where you came up with that one and in respect for this Board I will stop there.

I ask you Dex if these Motorcycle Nazis Dudes bothered you so much why didn't you do something about it? You seem to have more opportunitys than I have had.
I will add that many of my friends do have very serious issues with the Confederate Battle Flag.. Many of my friends who are Black, Jewish, or just a Patriotic Swamp Yankee believe that symbol should be banned as well as the Nazi symbols..both symbols have much in common. Hey lets ban those Yellow flags the Steeler Fans wave while we're at it. So why not ban them all?? But alas it's not up to us now is it..a little thing called the First Amendment stands in the way. Please refrain from putting words in my mouth..I do just fine screwing posts up without your help.. I have done nothing to refer to you personally in my posts.. It seems that your battles lay with those macho motorcycle dudes in Nazi dress that bother you so much not me sport.
That sounds like a good movie title.. "Nazi Dress up Dudes on Bikes" coming soon to a theater near you.

BTW Thanks for reminding me why I've been at PD on this board for so long.. It's been real...

Edited by Smiley 2009-05-30 6:08 PM
Darrin
Posted 2009-05-30 8:51 PM (#27245 - in reply to #27174)

Great Sage of the Sea

Smiley,
Don't go back to PD because of Dex and his issues, I have learned that it is easier not to bite the hook that he is throwing out there to see how much trouble he can stir up on a board because it is not worth it.
How's Chief Jason and his swim buddies doing these days??
Smiley
Posted 2009-05-31 3:36 PM (#27268 - in reply to #27245)
Great Sage of the Sea

Darrin - 2009-05-30 11:51 PM

Smiley,
Don't go back to PD because of Dex and his issues, I have learned that it is easier not to bite the hook that he is throwing out there to see how much trouble he can stir up on a board because it is not worth it.
How's Chief Jason and his swim buddies doing these days??

Hi Darren, How's things in the Tide Water? I haven't been down since Thanksgiving but hope to be down in late July. As for the "Senior Chief" he went to commerical flight school back in October of 07 compliments of Uncle Sam.. after 18 mos he had his Commerical Multi engine cert and has been reassigned.. He now flys DevGru's Planes out of Oceania.. ( They want their own people to fly these birds) It's a great job that has kept him Stateside and should until he retires. After several deployments (11 I believe) to the land of camels and fleas I am happy with his new MOS. He is still part of DEVGRU but his duties are flying their planes both single and multi engine out of Oceana. I'm not sure what that duty really is about and I don't need to know..LOL but I do know they are the first Chiefs in the Navy to fly planes since the 30s.. There is talk about changing their status to LDO or Warrent Os but for now anyway they are all CPOs. I promise I will drop you a line when I get down there.. I owe you a brew or two..
Thanks for your interest shipmate.
Scrivener
Posted 2009-05-31 4:55 PM (#27270 - in reply to #27174)
Senior Crew

Smiley, I echo Darrin in urging you to not go back to PD. I enjoy reading your posts, as I do Dex's and others'. We all have a different point of view. It is difficult to make judgments without a full airing of all points of view, including your's.
Darrin
Posted 2009-05-31 7:53 PM (#27283 - in reply to #27174)

Great Sage of the Sea

No problem Smiley, glad to hear that Jason is now a Senior Chief and I remember you stating that a while ago now. Call me the next time you are in town my friend and I will be more then happy to go and have a few brews with you
Myron
Posted 2009-06-01 6:26 AM (#27287 - in reply to #27268)

Crew

Smiley - 2009-05-31 5:36 PM

LOL but I do know they are the first Chiefs in the Navy to fly planes since the 30s..
Smiley, tell the chief thanks and congrats on the new MOS. But I have to tell you - I rode a R-4-D (DC-3) from Cubie Point to Manila NAS in 1959 that had a chief AP for a pilot and an ensign so new he still shined for co-pilot. The chief was a WWII vet but I didn't find out what he flew. There were bunches of enlisted pilots in the Navy in WWII.

From this bluejackets.com page comes this:

In 1955 the number of non commissioned Navy pilots in flight status hovers around 300. Retirements coupled with advancements into Limited Duty Officer status continually cut into the number of bluejacket aviators. The last enlisted pilot on active duty is ACCM Robert K. "NAP" Jones, who retires from the Navy on January 31, 1981.
subvetss
Posted 2009-06-01 7:16 AM (#27289 - in reply to #27174)
Senior Crew

Smiley,
I used to ride bikes but the kids wont let me anymore. I am a 24/7 care giver for their mom and they don't want me getting hurt.
In the American Legion here in Ft. Pierce there are 2 motor cycle clubs that affileat with us. The Legion Riders and the American Veteran Riders. I am not a member but I can attest to the great works they both do for veterans. They are great organizations with great guys in them.
Forget about the "Imortal Bard' on this bbs who considers himself 'A legond in his own mind". After all, a submariner who never made it past E3......... Says something dosen't it.
And BTW 'bard", I could care less about your responce.
Joe'the'Most
Smiley
Posted 2009-06-01 12:00 PM (#27299 - in reply to #27287)
Great Sage of the Sea

Myron - 2009-06-01 9:26 AM

Smiley - 2009-05-31 5:36 PM

LOL but I do know they are the first Chiefs in the Navy to fly planes since the 30s..
Smiley, tell the chief thanks and congrats on the new MOS. But I have to tell you - I rode a R-4-D (DC-3) from Cubie Point to Manila NAS in 1959 that had a chief AP for a pilot and an ensign so new he still shined for co-pilot. The chief was a WWII vet but I didn't find out what he flew. There were bunches of enlisted pilots in the Navy in WWII.

From this bluejackets.com page comes this:

In 1955 the number of non commissioned Navy pilots in flight status hovers around 300. Retirements coupled with advancements into Limited Duty Officer status continually cut into the number of bluejacket aviators. The last enlisted pilot on active duty is ACCM Robert K. "NAP" Jones, who retires from the Navy on January 31, 1981.

That's cool.. I was only aware of VF 2 "The Flying Chiefs" from yellow wing days just prior to the War. But of course there would have been several others..
The RAF and IJN also had enlisted pilots.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software