Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: Coronation ceremonies of Emperor Alexander II of Russia in 1855 were enlivened by a submarine concert. Wilhelm Bauer, a Bavarian inventor, took three musicians under the waters of Kronstadt Harbor in a submarine he had built, where they played appropriate music during the coronation. The music was distinctly heard on the surface.
Remembering Gentle Ben and his Museum by the side of the road
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

dex armstrong
Posted 2009-05-30 1:03 PM (#27218)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: Remembering Gentle Ben and his Museum by the side of the road

You couldn't help loving the guy....We all did, every boatsailor whoever met him/ I met him through his selfless PR agent and advance man, John Wynn...I had heard about him from comments on the internet and in conversations with Gumba and Jim Christly...but when John Wynn took me by "The House by the Side of the Road" I wasn't prepared for what I found...You've heard of folks who opened an oyster and found pearls...Well sir, walking through the door of Ben's modest home was like opening a peanut and finding a Rolls Royce...Every available space...every nook and every cranny was chock-a-block with in most cases, rare submarine memorabilia and letters from heavyweight officers and men of WWII and before. He had an irreplacable archive crowding his kitchen...framed letters in his head upstairs. You could park yourself on his porcelin throne and scan testimonials from admirals and submarine legends and letters of appreciation from men who were grateful for his Herculean effort in saving and preserving the history and memorabilia comprising our history. He ran the whole operation out of a cigar box on top of his refrigerator and NEVER solicited funds...I would have had no idea what the El Roi Tan box was for, except that John clued me in. He was an amazing man...a quiet, unassuming man...no one personified the words "gentle gentleman" better than Ben Bastura. I would like to sincerely thank whoever created the BEN BASTURA AWARD that is conferred yearly....It is an appropriate honor for a man who spent his life honoring us. As long as I live (and the same goes for John and Lynn Wynn) Ben will not be forgotten. And, youngsters who in the future find themselves dropping down in the submersible monsters of tomorrow will be able to see the fruit of his effort in the Museum at Kings Bay...What I would like to do with this thread, is ask those of you who knew and loved the curator of the Cigar Box Powered Boatservice Museum, to jump in here and give your impressions of the man to those here who never met this extraordinary man and will never have that opportunity. In so doing you will provide Ben the only immortality, worth truly having...a life illuminated by the love and respect of those who actually knew him. Thanks, Ben would be proud. DEX
Stoops
Posted 2009-05-30 2:18 PM (#27228 - in reply to #27218)
Master and Commander

Subject: RE: Remembering Gentle Ben and his Museum by the side of the road

Thanks, Dex for a reminder of just how important Ben has been to the US Submarine Force history. His efforts were incredible. I was not fortunate enough to meet the man, but you bring him to life with your post.

Sid Harrison
Posted 2009-05-30 2:19 PM (#27229 - in reply to #27218)

Great Sage of the Sea

Thanks for the reminder Dex.

------------------
For all

I have archived and continue to keep current the original
(USSVI) U.S. Submarine Memorials and Artifacts Locator File

It is linked HERE
http://www.sid-hill.com/top/history/mem/submem.htm
FYI - See guidance for accessing the NEW Submarine Memorial files
on the new USSVI website

--------------------------

The Ben Bastura info is linked from here
http://www.sid-hill.com/top/history/mem/stmar.htm

----------------------------

Sid

Land Lubber
Posted 2009-05-30 2:53 PM (#27235 - in reply to #27218)
Old Salt

Thanks Dex. I did not know about him, but thanks to your post I do now. I'm adding the museum on the list of things I want to see. He sounds like he was truly a great guy. I live in Los Angeles and aside from the Maritime Museum here there is not much in the way of U.S. submarine history to be found.
Thanks Again
Steve
Stoops
Posted 2009-05-30 4:38 PM (#27237 - in reply to #27235)
Master and Commander

Land Lubber - 2009-05-30 2:53 PM

Thanks Dex. I did not know about him, but thanks to your post I do now. I'm adding the museum on the list of things I want to see. He sounds like he was truly a great guy. I live in Los Angeles and aside from the Maritime Museum here there is not much in the way of U.S. submarine history to be found.
Thanks Again
Steve

Steve...you need to get in touch with Jim Rogers...I think he is in Pasadena Base USSVI...he's got a ton of stuff to fill a museum with.....a very great shipmate.....Bet he would welcome any help you can provide.

He sure helped out the Cavalla Historical Foundation when he came to visit us many years ago.

Ralph Luther
Posted 2009-05-30 4:53 PM (#27239 - in reply to #27235)
COMSUBBBS

After Ben departed on Eternal Patrol much of his collection went to the museum at Kings Bay, GA. I don't know for a fact if there is still a museum at Ben's home in Groton.
John Wynn
Posted 2009-05-31 5:35 AM (#27248 - in reply to #27218)
Crew

Ralph...

Virtually ALL of Ben's Collection now resides in the Submarine Museum in
St. Marys, GA

His old duplex in Middletown, CT is still there but is used for affordable
housing...

He WAS indeed a GREAT Man, and I dearly miss him..

V/R,

John Wynn
Ralph Luther
Posted 2009-05-31 7:35 AM (#27250 - in reply to #27248)
COMSUBBBS

Thanks, John, I thought that was the case. I never met Ben, but, can imagine the loss.
PatH
Posted 2009-05-31 10:01 AM (#27255 - in reply to #27218)

Great Sage of the Sea

There is a video tour of the St Marys submarine museum, conducted by John Crouse, MMCM(SS) Ret, Museum Curator that features much of Ben Bastura's collection.  Go to www.ussvi.org and click the VIDEO button.  Then click the MEMORIALS button.  It is clip #2.
PaulR
Posted 2009-05-31 10:08 AM (#27256 - in reply to #27248)

Master and Commander

I was a visitor to St. Mary's shortly after Ben's collection arrived.  It was mostly still in boxes at that time.  The collection of plaques alone was impressive and John C. was scratching his head, wondering how they would fit all that stuff in.

One item John pointed out, and I browsed through, was the ORIGINAL survey report of the Japanese I boats that was taken over after the war.  It was very detailed and included tons of detailed original photos.  I don't recall if that was part of Ben's collection or not.

I might have expected to see copies of the report, not the original one.
Land Lubber
Posted 2009-05-31 3:12 PM (#27259 - in reply to #27237)
Old Salt

Thanks Stoop, I'll look him up. Like I say we have some old parts savaged from the USS Roncador but that's about all.

Thanks again Dex. By posting about Ben you keep his memory alive and those like me get a chance to know a little about him. In that way he is still with us.

Take Care,
Steve
dex armstrong
Posted 2009-06-01 11:19 PM (#27317 - in reply to #27218)

COMSUBBBS

Bens most endearing quality was his mild unassuming nature...his humility and the sincerity of his welcome to his museum/home....Every room was filled by his collection of treasures. submarine memorabilia....Ben must have had some kind of cot on his roof for sleeping...I never saw a bed or room for one anywhere in the place.Ben satrisfied his military obligation serving in the Army....but as a child used to sit on a hillside and watch departing and returning submarines a fell in love with the smokeboat, boat service. We cannot forget this man...he earned the respect of all of us twenty times over, with his dedicated effort, perserverence, and personal sacrifice to create and maintain his collection for us....He had little waxen hands and you NEVER forgot his gentle handshake and his wonderful smile. I would like to know who created USSVI's Ben Bastura Award, because I would be honored to shake his hand....Hell, I would like to see the Navy name 400 yard long nukeboat after the wonderful little fellow. The USS BEN BASTURA...One of those big ole nukes that can dive to some rediculous depth and run at 280 knots....such a boat would be a fitting tribute to our Gentle Ben.
BlackBeard
Posted 2009-06-02 11:40 AM (#27340 - in reply to #27218)

Great Sage of the Sea

I know the creation of the award is listed under Lockwood Internet Base's achievements site. The individual is not listed, but I'll bet either Bill Lee or Ron Martini know who it was.

BB

Edited by BlackBeard 2009-06-02 11:42 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software