Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: Traditionally, United States submarines have been named after fish and other marine creatures. One exception was the Navy's first submarine HOLLAND which was named after its inventor, John Philip Holland. Today, ballistic missile submarines are named for famous American patriots, with the newest class, the OHIO class, named after states. The LOS ANGELES class of attack submarines are named for United States cities. The nations news class of submarine, the Virginia class, is also named for US States, making them the capital ships of the navy.
Teaching Old Dogs New Tricks
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Ralph Luther
Posted 2009-05-31 7:54 AM (#27251)
COMSUBBBS

Subject: Teaching Old Dogs New Tricks

Finally broke down and aquired a laptop. I say aquired because it didn't cost me anything. Being at the right place at the right time pays off sometimes.
Learning to tie this in to my home network has been a "fun" experience. Now to learn a slightly different keyboard, shared documents, etc. will definitely cause more gray hair and consideration of placing a couple of 357 rounds in this damn thing and the one in the other room.
Patti, I should be able to really tare up the King's english on this thing.
Something like this sure would of come in handy back in my trucking days for keeping logs and expense records.

Edited by Ralph Luther 2009-05-31 8:00 AM
Ric
Posted 2009-05-31 8:23 AM (#27252 - in reply to #27251)

Plankowner

Subject: RE: Teaching Old Dogs New Tricks

Ralph Luther - 2009-05-31 7:54 AM...I should be able to really tare up the King's english on this thing.

I think you have already started.... and very well too.....
Ralph Luther
Posted 2009-05-31 8:51 AM (#27254 - in reply to #27252)
COMSUBBBS

Dog-gone Ric, it has taken me 3 days just to get the thing tied in. Trying to get "shared documents" organized will drive someone to drink. My 12 year old Granddaughter laughs at the questions I ask for help on........kids! Gotta love em !!
GaryKC
Posted 2009-05-31 12:53 PM (#27257 - in reply to #27251)

COMSUBBBS

I've had my laptop for 4 weeks, learning it's Vista OS, then using a wireless router, connecting a wireless mouse and now using it's HDMI output to view everything on my HDTV. Trying to figure out what programs I want to install, what programs installed by HP I don't want.....chasing my tail, licking my....have fun Ralph, I am. One program I will install is www.iespell.com/, it's great when posting on forums.

Runner485
Posted 2009-05-31 3:18 PM (#27260 - in reply to #27254)

COMSUBBBS

You got the right idea Ralph. Get the grandkids to do it. I know I asked my grandson a question and he looked at his younger sister as if to say....'Ain't old folks a gas'...It as easy as breathing for them....But, I know for sure he don't know how to lite off a FM... 
Ric
Posted 2009-05-31 3:26 PM (#27262 - in reply to #27257)

Plankowner

Firefox had a good spell checker that tells right away when you've screwed up.
Land Lubber
Posted 2009-05-31 3:27 PM (#27263 - in reply to #27251)
Old Salt

Ya know, if ya want to stump the kids, have them try to idenify older hand tools and attempt to use them. My neighbor's kid was stunned to see me use an old wood saw to cut some lumber. (the motor wore out on the power one). He was amazed that lumber could be cut quite well by hand. Of course I didn't let him see how much pain I had in my arm for the next two days....
Steve
Ric
Posted 2009-05-31 3:57 PM (#27269 - in reply to #27263)

Plankowner

A next door neighbor was out fussing with his sidewalk beside his house about fifteen years ago. He said they were trying to fix the place up to sell and wanted to repair the sidewalk where the cracks were. He was going to go down and rent a carbide water saw to cut the concrete. I told him to save his money and went into to my basement and came back with my 4# hammer and a cold chisel. I took a board he had laying there and scribed a line with the edge of the chisel and then commenced to drop the hammer on the head of the chisel while working it down the line. after a few minutes the concrete cracked along the line. I handed him the tools and said save your time and money, whole civilizations were built with those two tools. he was astonished how easy it was to do.
miss lumpy bumps
Posted 2009-05-31 5:50 PM (#27273 - in reply to #27251)

COMSUBBBS

Congrats, Ralph.  Welcome to the "wireless era".  I'm STILL LEARNING how to use ours...and it's over a year!   What kind of "protection"
did you install on it...I hope it's NOT a Norton program.  I have the 360 and it's a pain in the butt.  Yeah, I know, but I am not to proficient
when it comes to removing programs, plus I don't want to try and deal with Norton or Symantec to try and get a refund for the damn program.  I still need to get and Office Suite program on it, too.  But we all know that could cost a small fortune!  So, I will use what I have...
but as I said, I am still learning what is on the damn thing...just like you and Gary. 

Don't put any slugs in it yet...just give yourself a chance to get used to it. 
Ralph Luther
Posted 2009-05-31 6:06 PM (#27275 - in reply to #27273)
COMSUBBBS

Using AVG. The same as on the PC. It hasn't let me down yet.
Ric
Posted 2009-05-31 6:14 PM (#27277 - in reply to #27275)

Plankowner

I use AVAST on all my machines except the Linux... don't need it. Just install Open Office instead of buying the Office Suite.. it has everything you need and it is free!!!
Ralph Luther
Posted 2009-05-31 6:21 PM (#27279 - in reply to #27277)
COMSUBBBS

Open Office was already installed on it.
The company my Niece works for transfered her to London and gave her a new laptop. She was going to toss this one, so, I gave her a pat on the fanny and a kiss on the cheek. Haven't lost my charm yet. How say you "Wishbone"?
Ric
Posted 2009-05-31 6:32 PM (#27281 - in reply to #27279)

Plankowner

First thing I did was peel out all the M$ Office programs, emails and the pre-installed virus programs and firewalls and installed AVAST. My router comes with its own firewall protection. If you don't use M$ software it is harder to get a virus.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software