Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: How long will it take the average sailor to become a submariner? The average sailor will never become a submariner.
Follow up To The First Amendment Post
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Myron
Posted 2009-06-02 2:50 PM (#27345)

Crew

Subject: Follow up To The First Amendment Post

I did not mean to make a new post but to reply to RCK's post. Sorry 'bout dat.

While I disagree vehemently with that HOA, I'm afraid it isn't a 1st Amendment issue. No government agency is telling the vet to remove or cover the stickers. Not knowing what his HOA rules say I can't comment other than to say that if the news article is right that he seems to be the only victim of the 'holes running the HOA then there is in fact a problem. My guess is it's some liberal idiot who doesn't agree with Iraq, Bush, etc and is just trying to strut his stuff. That's a pretty broad interpretation of advertising if you ask me. I will say I was given a copy of the HOA rules for my HOA prior to closing on my house. In 19 years there have been a few cases of idiocy on the part of the HOA and I have received a couple of letters but it hasn't amounted to anything.

Edited by Myron 2009-06-02 2:52 PM
Sewer Pipe Snipe
Posted 2009-06-02 4:06 PM (#27348 - in reply to #27345)
Master and Commander

Subject: RE: Follow up To The First Amendment Post

One of my fun things is to have my neighbors quote the covenance rules to me. At one point I had seven grills in the yard and five seafood boil pots, all the way up to seventy-five gallons. I built them while teaching pipe welding at the Vo-Tech. Had four unpaid hours between classes, and made the most of them. When one guy complained about my collection and threatened to take me to court for a covenance violation. I pointed out that he had a portable building, a violation of his covenance. I also pointed out that I had lived here before it became Doublegate North, and my covenance was a little bit differnt. You see, I can have two horses, and ornimental fowl. I can hang out my laundry and don't have to hide my garbage can. Back then we had dumpsters, not pickup. I asked if he had ever heard a pair of India Blue Peacocks sound off? Or smelled horses on a hot humid day? He went away, and never bothered me again. It is fun having been here before the development was.
Jim M.
Posted 2009-06-03 5:23 AM (#27360 - in reply to #27345)

Great Sage of the Sea

My wife, aka the Duchess of Durban, is a property manager and deals with HOAs all the time. When we were looking for a place, which we just finished moving into, we found one where HOA membership is optional. Hearing some of the stories from her (and dealing with a few myself whose websites I maintain) made me a strict non-believer in HOAs.

The intent of them is good.. generally speaking. But when some demand someone to take down the US flag or stickers, etc. indicating pride in their military service.. that's asinine.

I wonder what'll happen when I fly the old South African flag later this year.. when my in-laws come over. Flying it in honor of my two brothers-in-law's service to their country in the Angolan Border wars (one was in the infantry, another was South African Air Force)..
Ralph Luther
Posted 2009-06-03 6:38 AM (#27361 - in reply to #27360)
COMSUBBBS

Being the Chairman/President of our HOA consisting of 771 homes it is a constant struggle to keep everything on an even keel. There is always the usual 10% that "don't get the word". We have convenants and restrictions that the HomeOwners signs for when purchasing the home and the owner of a rental unit is resposible for their tenant.
It is very simple when they follow the C&R, but, you always have those that think the C&R is for everyone else but them and then there are those that try very hard to manipulate the verbage and show authority that they don't have. All that needs to be done is read the C&R prior to purchasing. If you don't like what it says don't buy. If you buy and don't read them, don't cry afterward...move.
We enforce our C&R and place fines on those that don't follow. Have gone to court a few times and haven't lost yet. Cost of court is put on the losing party. That's in the C&R also.
Our biggest problem is people paying their assessement on time and juvenile delinquency problems. Kids sleeping at our pool complex and in our playground gazebos. The local police and I run them off most every night and a couple of arrests have been made due to drugs with the kids and some adults.
It would be a great job for former COB's
Gary Webb
Posted 2009-06-03 12:30 PM (#27370 - in reply to #27345)

Old Salt

I wouldn't buy a house in an area that had a HOA if it was the last house for sale in the world. Most HOA's are just a bunch of control freeks!
RCK
Posted 2009-06-03 12:53 PM (#27372 - in reply to #27361)
Master and Commander

We were discussing a sticker in the window on a truck, not rockets going off or 1000 foot towers festooned with flags representing the Klu Klux Clan
Ralph Luther
Posted 2009-06-03 3:54 PM (#27379 - in reply to #27370)
COMSUBBBS

Actually Gary, HOA's are to help protect the investment one puts into a house in a subdivision. Take for instance a guy pays $200k for a nice house and location. He maintains his yard and upkeeps his house. Along comes a guy and moves in next door. Parks his car in the front yard on the lawn, let's weeds take over the flower beds and leaves trash all over his yard. Do you think the first guy could get $200k for his house if he tried to sell it?
Control Freeks?? Yeah, there are a bunch of them out there and there are the ones that think their feces doesn't stink too. So, we have C&R to try and keep peace. If someone doesn't want to live in a subdivision there are plenty of places out there. I would love to live in the out in the country, but, it isn't do-able right now.
Gary Webb
Posted 2009-06-03 9:30 PM (#27384 - in reply to #27379)

Old Salt

Ralph, You are correct. The idea was good however control freeks have changed most HOA's to where they if enforced are very very restrictive. The have very little to do with preserving property value.
MAD DOG
Posted 2009-06-04 3:55 AM (#27387 - in reply to #27345)

Master and Commander

http://michellemalkin.com/2007/03/12/bumper-of-my-suv/
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software