Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: Modern nuclear submarines can travel faster submerged than they can on the surface. They can fully submerge in less than a minute.
An Hour Ago...Elements of the 82nd Airborne....
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

dex armstrong
Posted 2009-06-06 10:15 AM (#27425)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: An Hour Ago...Elements of the 82nd Airborne....

An hour ago in 1944, lead elements of the 82nd Airborne Division...The 508 Parachute Inf. Regt. that had jumped the night before (June 5th) cut their way into the French Town of St. Mere-Elise after an intense shoot out with retreating German elements. They found the burned bodies of troopers who missed their DZ (Drop Zone) and landed in the town square. Many of jumpers were hanging by their suspension lines, still in their harness and burned black after being doused by gasoline and egnited. The men who took the town had not eaten since the morning of the 5th....attempted to obtain food from the locals, having been given currency (German French Occupation issue and Free French paper promisory notes). The French, fearful of reoccupation of the town by a German counterattack would not help the hungry jumpers feeling that any help given would have dire consequences when the Krauts returned. My Dad never forgave the ungrateful bastards...."We were told of all the help we would get from the Maquis (French Undergound) and the population in gratitude for their liberation" none of which materialized during the initial days." (In all fairness, the men of the 29th Division and 4th Inf. Div were greeted with warm cooperation and assitance according to their accounts) My Dad was an Airborne Bttn Commander...who was there was promoted to Lt. Col two days later. THANKS DAD for what you and your great men did to bring about one of the last two UNCONDITIONAL SURRENDERS we ever had....His clearest memory of the events of that day, was something that happened in the C-47 ten minutes before they got the green light and leaped out into the dark night over France....Everyone was sitting in web seats on either side of the C-47 silent, deep in thought...the glow of lit cigarettes formed a line of red dots on each side....All a sudden some trooper (noone ever figured out who it was.) yelled, "Of all of the male sonuvabitches in the U.S., how in the hell did I wind up here tonight?" Men were still laughing as they hit the ground or slipped into trees as the first men landing on European soil....They were men of the Greatest Generation...who never spent the rest of their lives having to explain their combat performance and failure to secure victory. This is a post from a most grateful son and proud of the tough bastard who gave him his last name. Love and miss you Dad, DEX
Curt
Posted 2009-06-06 12:54 PM (#27427 - in reply to #27425)

Old Salt

Subject: RE: An Hour Ago...Elements of the 82nd Airborne....

My dad was a Sargeant on an airbase in England.

Pics of him, here - #9 - #15:

http://www.cdhaggard.com/memorial/Memorial.html

Thanks, Dad.
Darrin
Posted 2009-06-06 1:28 PM (#27428 - in reply to #27425)

Great Sage of the Sea

Thank you Dex for the post, yes those men kept the germans on the run and saved the world.

For my grandfathers, thank you for your service and thank you for telling me the stories of your youth, I for one will never forget you and what you did

Philip J. Singer (USN Seabee WWII Pacific theater)
Henry L. Moyers (USN Aviation OrdananceMan Pacific theater WWII)
Ralph Buchenroth (US Army P-51 Mechanic African theater WWII) Step grandfather (Mom)
Douglas M. Nimon (USN Machinest Mate Pearl Harbor survivor, Korea, Viet Nam) Step grandfather (Dad)

When my son was born he was named Philip J Singer because of my father Philip and my grandfather, while my grandfather is not here to see him I know that he is smiling down upon my son every day and I can see some of my grandfather in him.
MAD DOG
Posted 2009-06-06 4:02 PM (#27432 - in reply to #27428)

Master and Commander

My Dad,Walter W. Hanes SFC,learned to fly one night when he got an ammo
dump blown out from under him while serving with the SEABEEs in Iwo Jima.
Thanks Dad!!!!!!!!!!!!
Bear
Posted 2009-06-06 8:57 PM (#27439 - in reply to #27425)

Great Sage of the Sea

My Dad was on one of the LSTs off of Omaha on this day (Once this landing was over they went to the Pacific to support the Island Hopping.
dex armstrong
Posted 2009-06-07 12:54 AM (#27441 - in reply to #27425)

COMSUBBBS

Spoke to a gentleman named Jefferey Cummings...known as "Jumpin' Jeff"....He got "knicked in Sicily"...missed the Anzio jump but rejoined what he called "the crazy bastards" at Nottingham England for what he calls "The Invasion Staging"...He made the two practice jumps in Scotland....and attended all the sand table sessions, where they were meticulously trained to recognize the landmarks in the area of their Drop Zones...This would have been extremely helpful if the Air Transport Command had dropped them anywhere near where they were supposed to go...but they eventually discovered they were anywhere from four to twelve miles from anything they had been trained to recognize. Jeff and six men (four from the 82nd and two from the 101st) linked up with the group my Old Man had rounded up, and the two 75mm pack howitzers guys from the 508PIR dragged from two busted CG4A "WACO" gliders (called WACO's because they were built in Waco,Texas). They covered a very substantial steel bridge and knocked out several vehicles on the bridge rendering it useless to armor being sent forward to counter attack troops that would eventually be making their way from the beach to the causeways leading to their assigned invasion holding positions. In the early morning of June 8th they heard the distinct sound of the bogey wheels and unmistakable sound of squeeking treads from Sherman tanks arriving from lead elements of the 29th Div and the 4th Div (tanks were from the 4th and the halftracks were not identified as coming from a particular division)...they just showed up and passed the dog tired jumpers who by that time were laying in roadside ditches exhaused...out of ammo, chow, medical supplies and anything to communicate with to locate any of the various command posts. They were so far from their designated landing points (Drop Zones) their topographic map quads were virtually useless (like being lost in the Yukon with maps of Southern China). Late in the day of what Jeff recalls as the 8th of June, Kraut tanks, Flak Batteries and 88's started making their appearance, digging in in Hedgerow Country and began to play hell with the lightly supported lead elements of the units making their way from Omaha. Jeff says, history records the historical mosaic of the combined tactical situation but those that were actually there only knew what the hell was going on in a two to three hundred yard stretch of the planet extending in a radius from their hippockets. On the 9th a low flying Gooney Bird (C-47) dropped ammo resupply (cans of 30 cal, 50cal and 45cal ammo....30cal ammo was prepacked in cloth bandaliers....One of Jeffs personal memories was of seeing empty cloth bandaliers everywhere...on the ground, hanging on every form of above ground vegetation...used to tie on make shift splints, repair sign supports....and at one point tying a sign reading "ST. Mere Elglise 15km" to a battle scarred tree...."Hell Dex, I took my son to see THE LONGEST DAY and after the movie we went to a cafe and over pie and coffee...Bill says, "Dad what is your most clear memory of being involved in the Invasion?" "Being about as lost as a sonuvabitch can be." We knocked off some kind of Kraut wheeled vehicle and killed a lot of advancing infantry, disrupted their forward element's communication by demo'ing most of their field laid commo wire...put the only bridge capable of supporting heavy armor out of commission, captured thirty or so Krauts that turned out to be just about as lost as we were....one idiot was a seemingly important field grade officer who had stripped his uniform of all rank insignia and what would have been helpful unit identifying markings. We billeted him in an abandoned pig sty. We ate unheated SPAM right out of the can with our trench knives and were damn glad to get it..."When I hear these worthless pampered kids today whine about eating SPAM, I want to put the business end of my boot right in their fat "mommy's little boy" ass. Kids today have never been hungry, filthy and bracketed by artillary, mortar fire...flat trajectory rifle fire and MG42 bursts....Today's soldier has no concept of tough fighting. The sonuvabitches get in firefights measured in minutes and possibly an hour or so...after which some vehicle picks them up and hauls them back to some safe compound, where they eat hot chow, have hot running water, TV...phones to call "mommy and daddy"...USO shows...regular mail....computer toys....and warm, dry places to sleep. Dex, don't get me off on all this goddam bunch of useless medal collecting soft soldiering bastards....I fought from Algeria to across the Rhine...took two rounds in Sicily and a load of shrap in the Ardennse...ate crap that I could't identify as belonging to God's animal kingdom, urinated in my pants many times because concentrated small arms fire had us pinned down and taking a pee standing up could get you real dead in short order...I saw every kind of human suffering, mutilation, dismemberment, dead children, women, old men, young men....horses, dogs, chickens, ducks cats and rats...I never heard of, saw or otherwise witness, any prisoner abuse other than cussing the dumb bastards, Hitler and all his pals...NEVER heard of any torturing of anyone captured and toward the end of the war we were hauling them in like tuna boat...No torturing...America didn't torture...we were the good guys...We were the personification of Straight Shooting, Wholesome, Good Natured, Honest and most of all Men of Honor...Torture? No,... good people didn't do that back then...just wasn't the American way...Hey, Dex...John Wayne wouldn't have done it and we were like him. Dex, I was nineteen...I was a rifle hauler in Company "C", 2nd Platoon in your Old Man's battalion...me and "Old Lefty" dug holes in a lot of European dirt, shot more that our share of those worthless Kraut bastards...got kissed by girls in towns we slogged our way through on our way to "God knows where" and got our pictures taken pissing in the Rhine...and buried too goddam many fine young men...I hate the term "our boys"...any sonuvabitch that hooked his static line connecter to the anchor cable in a C-47 and cleared the door over a piece of real estate where everyone on the ground wanted to kill him...was no goddam boy. Enjoyed talking with you...Your Old Man was aces...He took us in, lead us all the way, mourned our lost and brought what was left of us, home..."Oh,Come Stand by your glasses steady....This world is a world of lies....Here's a toast to the dead already...Three Cheers for the next man who dies." (Taken from a wonderful phone conversation with a man calling himself as "One of Lefty's Band of Misbegotten Bastards")
610ET
Posted 2009-06-07 6:49 PM (#27460 - in reply to #27425)

Old Salt

My dad made two war patrols with George Street, Ned Beach, Chub Peabody and a bunch of other American heroes.

I don’t know any veterans from any era or anyone on active duty today who has to apologize to anyone about their combat performance or failure to secure victory.

However, I suggest that anyone who doubts this walk up to a Master Gunnery Sergeant next time you are in an airport and pose the question to him. I am sure his answer
will be “enlightening”.

Edited by 610ET 2009-06-07 6:50 PM
dex armstrong
Posted 2009-06-08 3:43 AM (#27465 - in reply to #27425)

COMSUBBBS

What happened to complete victory? We won the French and Indian War in a secured victory...no hanging chad...no questionable outcome COMPLETE VICTORY...Revolution, complete victory...unresolved questions sorted out in our second 1812-14 complete victory....Mexican War, complete victory resulting in annexation of damn near a third of what is the present U.S. Civil War...complete victory...Indian Wars, complete victory resulting in anialation of a large part of our native population....Spanish American War...complete victory securing most of the colonial posessions of Spain to include the Phillipines and Cuba...World War I...complete victory, that had to be repeated years later...World War II..there is a reason the men who brought us not one, but two (three if you toss in Mussolini's clown act) UNCONDITIONAL SURRENDERS are called The Greatest Generation....Then we started accepting less than the full loaf...Korean War, no conclusion still operating under a Cease Fire Agreement with the Koreans getting stronger and stronger in numbers of trained personnel and surely weapons development and stockpiling and worse, export of weapons to ALL of our enemies. Next Viet-Nam...the world witnessed our ignoble exit from that conflict...I saw it on EuroVision with a group of Norwegian sailors...American personnel clamoring to claw their way aboard helicopters to be taken to off shore ships, where our helicopters were pushed over the side to make way for other panic transfers...people who supported us being abandoned and locked out of our Embassy in Saigon....North Vietnamese tanks rolling in victorious followed by the ranks of North Vietnamese regulars marching into a city they renamed Ho-Chi-Minh City. That sure as hell looks like a reasonable facimilie of COMPLETE VICTORY to me. What do you think it looks like to that Marine Gunnery Sargeant in that airport of yours? And, since you are so knowledgable on the subject Why in God's name did we leave Huey helicopters still in unpacked crates to the Communists? Why did we abandon Ton Son Nut Air Base intact with ALL the C-130's, spare parts, air traffic control equipment in perfect working order...refueling and support equipment...and, worse yet Camh Ron Bay...we made a gift of a completely intact naval base...possibly the most technologically advanced naval facility beyond the continental limits of the United States....We GAVE it to the Communists with everything ready and waiting to include pens and pencils in the desks....ample food suppies and enough fuel in the storage tanks to operate the Russian warships that took it over to establish their presence in the Indian Ocean and South Pacific, for many years. This Marine Gunny...can he explain why we didn't use our demolition teams to deny our enemies all the goodies we made them a gift of?...For that matter, can you? Next...all these POW/MIA flags, patches and other memorabilia....Did you ever see a Winner ask a Loser to return their men....We have begged, cajoled, tin-cupped, butt kissed and grovelled to the bastards for years, to no avail. Those flags are to me an open sore showing our inability to protect out captured, missing and recover our dead. In COMPLETE AND ABSOLUTE VICTORY and UNCONDITIONAL SURRENDERS there is no future begging and ass kissing. We lost, get over it. Grenada...a zip-code size nation, we kicked butt and subdued a bunch of dilusional monkeys and some outclassed Cubans...COMPLETE VICTORY....Panama, COMPLETE VICTORY...Not exactly two chest thumpers but none the less, refreshing after KOREA and VIET-NAM....Gulf War was an incomplete action where we left our enemy intact and had to return because we never "closed the deal" As a nation we have come to accept bullcrap called "mutual stand downs" "open-ended cease fires" "unilateral statements of successful conclusions" "declarations of MISSION ACCOMPLISHED" and loads of concocted horse manure, made up to disguise repeated failure. The world sees through it and recognizes the decline. That's why dirty ankled illiterate apes take our ships, why religious zealots conduct successful terrorist attacks on us, why the North Koreans continuously yank our chain and after they fleece us blind, go back to doing what they want to and give us the finger ....Our military comes home, like a woman never allowed to have an orgasm...and the term UNCONDITIONAL SURRENDER has gone out of vogue. And, has become an alien concept...A concept that used to be the only thing American's would accept from their proud forces...in the days when we didn't contract out our fighting to hirelings, contract mercinaries and other thugs not under the UCMJ... No one in uniform today has seen all out VICTORY like we became used to in years gone by.....We fight third world wogs to stalemates...idiots with no navy, no airpower, no military academies (except tactical instruction from our pals the Chinese, Russians, Iran and North Korea...kind of an Axis of Evil Community College for anyone who hates America)....China and Russia are our trading partners. This brings up an interesting quest...HUMMER was just sold to the Chinese...Now, if we ever have to go to war with China (unlikely since they damn near own us.)...If we go to war with the bastards, do you think we can work out a deal with them to supply Hum-Vees to our troops? To quote Alice of Wonderland..."Things get curiouser and curiouser." That all wise Marine Gunny that hangs around airports dispensing wisdom by the seabag load...What's his take on our victorious conclusion to the conflict in Southeast Asia....and don't give me that loser denial and cover-up. the politicians lost it...we cut and ran, to use a popular term and we left an Alladin's cave load of high dollar equipment, spares and fantastic facilities...not a damn thing blown up, set on fire or bulldozed. According to the London Times...we even abandoned a warehouse full of American flags, that are distibuted to politically centered indoctrination elementary schools as souveniers of the victory of the patriotic Viet-Namese who slew the bumbling Goliath. How's that for irony? Give it your best shot gunny. Hey Gunny if you're so damn good why aren't you out there working for Blackwater, KBR or some other big bucks outfit making a killing on taxpayer funds? In the words of a good friend who turned in his uniform and left his Special Forces group to join a merc contractor..."Any sonuvabitch too stupid or incompetent to leave the Army and get in on the fantasy world gravy train of contract animal hunting...is a bigtime loser."DEX
Doc Gardner
Posted 2009-06-08 3:57 AM (#27466 - in reply to #27465)

Master and Commander

Put your venom where it belongs; POLITICIANS.
They start the wars and they end them.
610ET
Posted 2009-06-08 6:38 AM (#27469 - in reply to #27425)

Old Salt

Dex, wipe the spittle off your chin and go find a couch with someone competent attached to it. YOU need some serious help.

You have always said that today’s active duty types can’t compare to your vaunted service as an underachieving E-3. Now you say that anyone who stays in is a loser because they should have gone for the money in CIVLANT! You are very brave behind that keyboard. Go face to face with that Master Gunny and tell him he is a loser because of his career choice and his country’s political decisions. Have you got the balls for that?

I think that you have forgotten entirely the meaning of Honor, Courage, and Commitment. Maybe because you spent your navy time hiding from the COB and watching real sailors get it done, you never knew it in the first place.

Smiley
Posted 2009-06-08 12:11 PM (#27474 - in reply to #27425)
Great Sage of the Sea

My Dad was already in Italy with the 3rd Inf Div. " Rock of The Marne" on D Day.. He was there for some time before D Day and long after. My Dad also served with The 3rd In Korea and my Son who is a SEAL served with Elements of The 3rd in Bosnia several years ago for which my Dad got a big kick out of. My Dad who unlike his first born was a very quiet and humble man who talked very little about his Combat days.. His CIB, Silver Star and Purple Hearts in the shadow box we presented to Mom after his funeral tells their own stories.. But I did hear the stories as told to me by his buddies shortly after he passed away in 2000.
I do know that I never heard him question or pass judgement on the service of another man ( or woman ). He respected my service and he was oh so proud of his Grandsons service. I can't remember meeting anyone his age back when who was so against the War in Vietnam.. But he supported the troops all through that War and even though he offered to buy me a ticket to Quebec the day I got my Draft Notice if I desired one...no questions asked..He supported me greatly all through my Service and was proud he had raised a Patriot with the same respect to duty he had. I know now how difficult it must have been for him.. So difficult..
Now Dex you know soldiers sailors and airmen fight wars.. Politicians start and usually end them.. I have never heard of a soldier, sailor or airman starting or ending a War. However I have heard the promise from a certain Polly of ending a War as recently as Jan 09.. Yup no "change" there..
I'm also a very proud and grateful son.. Somewhere through all the BS I gave that Man while I was growing up while I dwelled in his "house of rules" he succeeded in teaching me what really matters in this life..And hopefully I have done the same for my kids.. Here's to all our Dads ....and our Moms Too who knew them best and heaven knows put up with all our ....BS and a toast to the next "Greatest Generation" May God bless them all..

Edited by Smiley 2009-06-08 12:24 PM
JohnBay
Posted 2009-06-08 1:59 PM (#27478 - in reply to #27465)
Great Sage of the Sea

Subject: Dex, remember the acronym

FUBAR? Describes your persistent attempts to stir up hate and discontent... Too bad- Your talents are wasted on diatribe.
dex armstrong
Posted 2009-06-08 9:36 PM (#27491 - in reply to #27425)

COMSUBBBS

Smiley, I was a child at Benning when the Third came home. I will never forget their return...Hardened suntanned...the term lean and mean comes to mind. They were flushed with victory, counted cadence from the bus drop off point to the rear areas where they were billeted and swung along with a steady gait, with their M-1's at sling arms...They sung the songs they sung slogging along across Europe...Their guidons sporting their battle streamers. "The Rock of the Marne" 3rd Infantry Division....There's an electricity that attends victory...Pride...Confidence...the Spirt of a winner...High Morale. I'll never forget those case hardened magnificent rascals. I attended the victory parade in Washington, DC...What a terrific spectacle. The National Mall was jam packed with enemy captured equipment...tanks...planes...artillery pieces...ack-ack batteries...patrol boats in wooden mounts. Later my daughter and I attended the make shift rag tag parade that attended the dedication of the Viet-Nam Memorial...It was a sad sack event...guys in ragged jungle fatiques booney hats...filthy slogans on signs...no dignity, no pride...hang dog looks...Westmorland walked in front wearing a brown Harris tweed coat and holding a little five inch desk flag...the U.S. colors...in his hand...He looked sad...There was one highpoint...Some of the lads who had completed the line of march, created a sort of reviewing stand....When the 101st contingent arrived...they stopped, took their wheelchair bound buddies up from their wheelchairs, put them on their shoulders, piggyback style and double timed past the impromtu reviewing stand yelling..."Airborne All-The-Way....Airborne All-The-Way." It was an emotional moment and spoke volumes for the morale and esprit-de-corps of the unit. Mr. Bay and others...Politicians don't lose wars...they may start them, but military units fight them and combat failures belong to the losers....You can sugar coat failure...You can place yourself in a world of fantasy and delusion...play make believe and try to fashion some kind litiny of excuses, blame laying...and deny the undeniable facts attending your ass kicking by little monkeys who had very little but an overwhelming desire to drive their way to victory, which they achieved. Mr. Bay, in the world of grown-ups...men accept the end result of contests they came in second best. On playing fields it's called sportsman like conduct...There are always sore losers who blame lousy lighting...bad field conditions...slippery ball...the refs...and politicians. Attempting to explain away failure, because you came up short...by blame laying is in the eyes of real men, the unmanly act of little men. Viet-Nam was an open sore when it ended...Our diplomats had to do an embarrassing toe dance to get the prisoners the North Vietnamese held, released. Our troops didn't liberate them as we did in all wars preceeding the Korean War (police action or whatever in the hell it was). We went to the winners, hat in hand and did an embarrassing "mother may I" and made reparations and representations bordering on bigtime grovelling to get our men released. You might want to tie bows on it, spray it with perfume, and try to sell it as some kind of patriotic moment, but every Vietnamese kid above the age of six, knows that the Vietnamese kicked the living hell out of a force that lost heart and the will to win....We are great for revisionist history, rewarping facts and results and creating post mortem results that are intended to make the stench of poor performance smell like a gardinia....WE LOST AND WERE RUN OUT OF DODGE by men with the will to win....The Viet-Nam victory museum is in Hanoi...John McCain visits it every time he goes back to Viet-Nam...It has his signed confession and repudiation of American war aims....It has pictures of Jane Fonda visiting an anti-aircraft position where the gun crew was presented with combat decorations for shooting down U.S. aircraft....It has photos of the Geneva and Paris negotiations where the wogs took our pants...took us apart like a cheap watch...and showed us the door in Southeast Asia....When you see those little black POW/MIA flags just remember how ineffective we have become in getting our men back....We've done everything in our power to get various countries to make a full accounting of our "left behind" troops...In wars clearly decided by UNCONDITIONAL SURRENDERS, ones like the 3rd Division had a major part in delivering to us, you don't spend twenty or thirty years trying to locate the lost....You kick enemy butts, get a full accounting...locate them and bring them home. Mr. Bay...it's the old lipstick and pig routine. Movie...PATTON...(quote) "Americans love a winner and won't stand for a loser....I abhore a sonuvabitch who loses and laughs." Mr. Bay you obviously have accepted a vastly diminished standard of sucessful outcome...You have bought into the "The Politicians lost the war" horse puckey and fail to recognize the extent of goat screw that was Southeast Aisia and what it caused in lost morale and the way America is percieved overseas. You guys can put on your patriotic "America never does anything wrong" hats and pretend to be winners but when you take off those rose colored glasses...you'll end up with the realization that those little guys beat us like a rented mule. DEX
Roy Ator
Posted 2009-06-08 9:55 PM (#27492 - in reply to #27491)

Great Sage of the Sea

Damn, I probably should just bite my tongue. But, I see your on going rants Dex and feel so sorry for you. Your personal "guilt" keeps surfacing. I personally consider you as a dear friend. I wear the Combat Action Ribbon with pride. You do not. Perhaps you have a guilt complex? Our US politicians officially determine what is war and what is not. The troops don't have a serious voice in that decision. Please wake up and understand whom makes the call. We did not have a choice under fire!
TSpoon
Posted 2009-06-08 10:17 PM (#27493 - in reply to #27425)
Great Sage of the Sea

Damn Roy, you hit the nail on the head.

DEX is on a massive 'GUILT' trip for doing nothing while his sweet heart 'hanoi jane' was pretending to shoot down our brothers in arms.

He condemns the Viet Nam Vets for losing the war that the politicians gave away. His perspective on history is as warped as the bleeding heart politicians who lacked the back bone to finish off uncle ho when we had him.

He must have breathed in too much ticker tape when the WWII guys came home, it seems to have poisoned his mind for he sure does not under stand the history he rants about. Sitting on his fat ass in Belles eating slim jims did nothing for his intelligence.But then again he lived and breathed that poisoned air in DC for so long he has no idea what the real world is about.

He has not earned the right to bad mouth anyone who served in and around the Republic of South Viet Nam. They fought, he sat. A real warrior does not rest on his fathers laurels, he creates his own.

T.Spoon, DBF
610ET
Posted 2009-06-08 10:52 PM (#27494 - in reply to #27425)

Old Salt

Dex, why don’t you read some history on the Vietnam War? Start with this which has been posted here before.

http://www.vhfcn.org/stat.html

Point is we never lost a major battle. The troops did their job but were hamstrung by gutless politicians who looked at the protestors and saw votes. Not to mention incompetent senior military leadership. However, the grunts with the guns did their jobs and were treated like s**t by guys like you.

Also like you, your boy Kerry did a great job lying to anyone who would listen. Maybe that’s where you get your information? Speaking of the Hanoi Museum isn’t your rack mate Kerry’s picture hanging there also? You denigrate John McCain’s confession? How long would a gutless blowhard like you have lasted? Your name and his never belong in the same sentence. You have not earned that right. And that has nothing to do with his politics.

But again, all of your drivel comes from behind a keyboard. You’re a coward hiding under your bed with the girls while real men get things done. Guess it’s always been that way with you.

BTW, how could you trash your own thread which you started as a tribute to your dad?
Roy Ator
Posted 2009-06-08 11:03 PM (#27495 - in reply to #27494)

Great Sage of the Sea

Thanks Chris for your "positive inputs" to this thread!

"BTW, how could you trash your own thread which you started as a tribute to your dad?"

I can't apologize for Dex's illness ~
610ET
Posted 2009-06-08 11:16 PM (#27497 - in reply to #27495)

Old Salt

Roy Ator - 2009-06-09 2:03 AM

Thanks Chris for your "positive inputs" to this thread!

"BTW, how could you trash your own thread which you started as a tribute to your dad?"

I can't apologize for Dex's illness ~

Roy, if that is sarcasm directed at me please read the posts in order. I made a post in this thread about my dad’s service and a very mild, not personal comment in response to his slander of veterans. Dex then jumped all over me.

These days I generally ignore his BS. Notice I didn’t comment in the other thread when he started spouting about torture?

In this case he is trashing me and a lot of people I know and respect so I called him on it. I don't think I mistated anything?

Roy Ator
Posted 2009-06-08 11:35 PM (#27498 - in reply to #27497)

Great Sage of the Sea

Sorry Chris,
I could not see the expression on your face. My intention was an "atta boy!"

I think that we both agree that DEX has his head buried well within his posterior region! I bet it really stinks there...

610ET
Posted 2009-06-08 11:43 PM (#27499 - in reply to #27425)

Old Salt

Got it and thank you. Sorry for missing that.

Time for bed.
Darrin
Posted 2009-06-09 1:14 AM (#27500 - in reply to #27425)

Great Sage of the Sea

Dex,
I am one of these so called "wannabee's" or soldiers with chest's full of medals that don't mean anything to those whom served during or after WWII, or any other generation because they didn't get them when they were in and that is because of those whom served before me made sure that those whom came after them got the recognicition that they did not. I have the most extreme respect for those whom carried the torch of the 101st Abn and the 3d ID (Served in both) and for those whom have sweated and bled in the heat of the jungle's, desert's and other hell holes around this world defending freedom.. I have the honor to wear a 3d Infantry Division COMBAT Patch on my right shoulder from Operation Iraqi Freedom and I have the honor to say that I was once a "Screamin Eagle" whom saved the lives of a number of soldiers lives in a UH-60 (blackhawk) Crash in '99 but that means nothing to you because I am not of the right vintage (WWII). I do take extreme displeasure in you bashing a fellow submariner and a friend of mine because he does not have the same out look that you do, John Bay is a friend whom I would gladly serve with any day of the week right along with Smiley and the rest of the motley group that has assembled on Don's bbs because I know that they have my back just as I have theirs..

Honestly I do NOT read your tirades anymore because it is so sad to see a person whom can spin the web of our times spent on submarines and make us all remember those days and we all smile a little more when we leave Don's bbs and we step a little smarter the next day because we remember that we were once young and SUBMARINER's. Your tirades are sickening and old, I can only wish that one day you would get some help for what troubles you with the generation of servicemembers whom served with you and after you because we ALL would have given our lives just like those in WWII and we fight just as hard as the "greatest generation" did. Because we have not given the way that they boys did in WWII does NOT mean that we are any better or any worse then them, those of us whom serve today have been given a better chance in life because of those of us whom have walked in the gallows of COMBAT either at sea or on land.

The next time you get the chance to go to Walter Reed or any other VA in your area of Va, take one of your vaunted friends and have them listen to the stories of the WOUNDED WARRIORS there today and you will find that their stories are similar (60 years later but still the same). I would almost lay money on the table that IF you take a WWII vet, a Korea vet and a Viet Nam vet and they go and see some of our WOUNDED WARRIORS that are starting their recovery that there will be tears in their eyes just like the soldier that is in that bed starting his or her recovery and that there will be NO annimosity towards this current generation of veterans because we UPHOLD the SAME traditions that they stood for when they were on active duty.

To Specalist David Thompson, your war is over but I know that you never left there and one day you will return home to our family... we all miss you and we are here for you no matter what it takes.

David and I were in 3d ID together during OIF 1 and we both came home but his mind was gone prior to returning from combat, the last time I saw him he was a shell of himself in Baghdad and I didn't realize that it was my cousin until a few years after the fact. (to you Dex he suffers from Shellshock or the new name PTSD) just like many of my family that came home but never left their COMBAT zones.

To the Doc's here on this BBS I cannot thank you enough for your service in bringing those home regardless of how bad they were wounded, you ALL saved a life or lives by your gentle words or when needed the ass kicking when requried. I learned in '99 that the term "DOC" ment more then most will ever know or be able to understand and that while the wounded would physically heal again for the most part the DOC's had to live with the decisions that they made on the battle field no matter what and the nightmares that go with those decision are NOT in any John Wayne movie or any others. I have my demons that haunt me just like the rest of the Doc's here and on other bbs' and I do NOT want any sympathy for those whom I could not save nor do I want any sympathy because I am not one of Dex's vaunted WWII vet's, I grew up in life as a kid surrounded by hero's and I have served with more hero's then I would like to count whose stories will never be told.

In almost 19 years of service to our great nation I have been called an ahole, that SOB, DOC, shipmate and yes friend... I hold the term DOC and shipmate closest to my heart.... While I have not been called a DOC in many moons I will never forget yelling for a medic and having an infantry platoon tell me that "DOC you are these guys only hope" that is a HARD pill to swallow when I have only had COMBAT lifesaver school and not Corpsmans school..

To those whom I could not save on that fatefull flight, I can only offer that I gave my all to save you because I have lived that day over and over again and I know that my decisions saved some of you but it didn't bring you all home alive and you have never left my mind.

For the record Dex I took 24 soldiers into COMBAT and brought them ALL home with ALL of their fingers and toes and NO new holes in their bodies, not to mention the rest of the Aviation Brigade.. How many have YOU taken to COMBAT and brought home alive????
Gil
Posted 2019-03-23 9:40 AM (#93680 - in reply to #27425)
Master and Commander

Thanks for the info.  For some reason I don't recall when this happened and I seemed to have overlooked it.
C Stafford
Posted 2019-03-23 1:44 PM (#93681 - in reply to #27425)
Senior Crew

You guys need to lighten up.

The progressives in this country already think anyone who has been in the military should be in jail for war crimes.

We don't need to beat ourselves up when they can do it for us.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software