Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: The USS NAUTILUS SSN 571 made history by cruising submerged from the pacific to the Atlantic Ocean, passing under the North Pole at 11:15 p.m. EDST on August 3, 1958.
My brother said, -
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Corabelle
Posted 2009-06-06 4:19 PM (#27433)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: My brother said, -

"A patrol plane which was assigned by Commandant, NOB, Guantanamo to furnish air coverage, . . ."

He's talking about the loss of the USS Dorado, probably by friendly fire, but what is Commandant, NOB? Do Americans use the term 'commandant?'

Cora

Edited by Corabelle 2009-06-06 4:20 PM
Coyote
Posted 2009-06-06 6:06 PM (#27434 - in reply to #27433)

Master and Commander

Subject: RE: My brother said, -

Commandant. A term seldom used now, but very prevalent during WWII and afterward. It meant the high-level person in charge in that place and region, either a captain or lower grade admiral. Now, the Navy isn't organized so much by places (regions) as by bases and task forces.

NOB stood for Naval Operating Base.

DBF
Coyote
Ralph Luther
Posted 2009-06-06 6:57 PM (#27436 - in reply to #27433)
COMSUBBBS

The top General of the Marine Corp. is often referred to as the Comandant.
steamboat
Posted 2009-06-07 4:24 AM (#27444 - in reply to #27436)
Master and Commander

You are right about a Commadant being Marine Corps, Ralph. The Navy equivilant would be Commadore (O-6 or lower level 0-7), usually used only during wartime. At least thats the way I understand it. Maybe one of our Mustangers can set us straight.
Steamboat sends
dex armstrong
Posted 2009-06-07 5:27 AM (#27445 - in reply to #27433)

COMSUBBBS

I think the term for the naval equivalent of an Army, Marine Corps or Air Force BG (Brig.Gen.) is COMMODORE...who would be the Commanding Officer of a Flottila. At one point the USN eliminated the Flotilla from the linear organization and went to a Fleet made up of Squadrons using Flotilla as a term to designate some kind of composite command made up of elements put together for a specific pupose and needing someone to command for the duration of the need for such group. At that point the USN created a screwball set of pay grades...For 0-6 there was REAR ADMIRAL (lower half) the clown wore 2 stars and was treated to all the perks and priv. accorded a Rear Admiral but was paid at the rate of a Brig. Gen.....and 0-7 was a REAR ADMIRAL (upper half) this gent was a true Rear Admiral and wore 2 Stars and was paid as a REAR ADMIRAL and deserved it and of course was afforded all the perks and priv. of the rank. Here's the rub...for the puposes of illustration...Say you had a 30 year old Rear Admiral (lower half) with 10 years service (longevity) and an Army BG, with 30 years service and a date of rank of ten years prior to the "lower half" Rear Admiral...Under any doctrine of fairness the Army BG would be considered the senior officer...but since the Army BG wore only a single star and the Rear Admiral wore two, he (the RA) ranked the one star BG in the Army, Marine Corps or Air Force....Hell was raised and at one point the Navy restored the Commodore rank and the wearing of a single star but the Upper and Lower nonsense returned and if I am not mistaken it exists today. What the gripe centered around was Navy men who were junior in rank and date of rank, being placed above men who were their obvious seniors on listings...like waiting lists for membership in the Army-Navy Country Club in Arlington and being seated above their seniors at head tables, official conferences, social situations by invitation...issuance of prefered office arrangements, assignment of more luxurious vehicles and more qualified drivers...parking spaces, Tee times at military installation golf courses...tennis court reservations....you get the idea. Being a lower-half guy pushing for two star rank perks...was worse than being a skunk at a tea party. If you think that stinks, get someone to tell you about the Navy perks grab attendant to the Navy invention of the Tomb Stone Promotion where retiring Captains were honorarily promoted to Rear Admiral upon retirement. They recieved the retirement pay of their equivalent 0-6 in the other services, but were called "Admiral" and recieved the treatment accorded 2 stars. These bastards bumped Colonels far their senior off space available flights, officers club seating (that particularly pissed off my old man....Once we, my dad and I had been waiting for 45 minutes standing in line for a table for Sunday Brunch at Patton Hall (for those of you attending Warshot's memorial reception...that was Patton Hall.) We had worked up our position in the waiting line and were in the "on deck" circle for seating at the next available table and this Lower Half Tombstone Bastard and his ugly as hell wife, bumps us. My Father got his name from the Club Burser and found out that my dad had him in seniority by date of rank, length of service and years retired. The old man could spout profanity at a rate unequalled on the planet and it took three days of backloader work to pick up all the curse words he used driving home. DEX
Palm Bay Ken
Posted 2009-06-07 8:49 AM (#27450 - in reply to #27433)

Great Sage of the Sea

CRS is setting in, but I think that the boss of each Naval District was called Commandant back in the 50's. ie. ComFive here in Tidewater was Commandant Fifth Naval District.
dex armstrong
Posted 2009-06-07 12:44 PM (#27454 - in reply to #27433)

COMSUBBBS

Ken, You're right on the money....Each Naval District plus the Naval District of Washington and the Severn River Command....has a Commandant...The Naval Academy has a Superintendent and each port vhas a SOPA (Senior Officer Present Afloat) at least they did in my day. DEX
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software