Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: In their history, submarines were called by many names such as 'eel boats', 'plunging boats', 'devil divers', and 'pig boats'. Technically, and by size, the submarine is a ship, but it has been called a boat since its earliest days, and the term is steeped in tradition. Submariners almost invariably call their ships 'boats".
I got an Idea
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

RCK
Posted 2009-06-08 8:19 AM (#27471)
Master and Commander

Subject: I got an Idea

Take the horn off the motorcycle and put a klaxon on!!!
TSpoon
Posted 2009-06-08 9:05 AM (#27472 - in reply to #27471)
Great Sage of the Sea

Subject: RE: I got an Idea

Bad idea for a Bubble Head on a motor.

Klaxons mead 'going down' and no biker wants to go down unless he is doing the horizontal boogie and reverses position.

But then again only three wheelers have a reverse.

Life is confusing.

T.Spoon, DBF and 'Gate Bar Cruiser'
Stoops
Posted 2009-06-08 6:34 PM (#27484 - in reply to #27471)
Master and Commander

treat it kindly....it is all alone in a strange place
Gil
Posted 2009-06-08 8:58 PM (#27488 - in reply to #27472)
Master and Commander

Don't mean to be picky, but I thought reverse was available on the Gold Wing and at least the big Kawasaki's.

Roy Ator
Posted 2009-06-08 9:11 PM (#27489 - in reply to #27488)

Great Sage of the Sea

That's true. My son-in-law has a reverse on his two-wheel Gold Wing. [The brat's husband].
TSpoon
Posted 2009-06-09 10:59 AM (#27516 - in reply to #27471)
Great Sage of the Sea

Dang rice burners, life is getting more confusing.LOL

How fast can you go in reverse on a two wheeler? Boggles what is left of my mind.

T.Spoon, DBF and an old Harley cruiser
Flapper
Posted 2009-06-09 5:03 PM (#27522 - in reply to #27516)

Master and Commander

Subject: On backing down ...

TSpoon - 2009-06-09 11:59 AMDang rice burners, life is getting more confusing.LOLHow fast can you go in reverse on a two wheeler? Boggles what is left of my mind.T.Spoon, DBF and an old Harley cruiser

Driving a motorcycle in reverse is probably as much fun as backing down submerged on a boat. Our skipper on Scamp (the incomparable A.J.M. Atkins) would have go through that exercise until we got it correct. The trick is to be thinking  (literally) in reverse; backing down, 'up planes' equals down movement since the flow of water over the foil is reversed.

When I lived aboard my sailboat (Catalina 34) with wheel steering (as opposed to tiller) and had to actually drive it somewhere in reverse, I found the easiest way for me was to physically move around the wheel into the cockpit and face aft with the wheel in front of me - then if I moved the wheel left, the stern would move 'left' (relative to direction of travel) and vicey versy.

So as not to totaly hijack this thread, I'm thinking reverse gear for Gold Wings and other bikes that have it would generate a slow walking speed, so that the rider can easily back it out of a garage or parking space, even if that's an uphill move. I mean we're talking rolling 1,000+ lbs (bike and rider), which is non-trivial if it's uphill!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software