Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: "Submariners are a bunch of intelligent misfits that somehow seem to get along, understand each other and work well together.” -- Red Hanley who overheard a skimmer officer say this while talking to a non-navy type
Company Credit Card hijacked!
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Stoops
Posted 2009-06-09 7:07 AM (#27506)
Master and Commander

Subject: Company Credit Card hijacked!

I had a couple of calls show up on my answering device which I figured were phishing attempts but found that they were from AMEX. It appears the card got copied during (I'd guess) my last business trip in April. Memorial Day, the card was used to purchase about $350 worth of stuff from an auto parts store. That transaction went through. Then in early June, it was used to try to buy about $2200 worth of stuff from Lowe's and it was refused 3 times...then a couple of $100 hotel rooms.

I think I know where and when and who did the theft but will let AMEX know, though. I had turned in my expense account and still have the receipts. We ate at the same place for breakfast and our usual waitress puts our order in as we walk in the door. She's prompt and friendly, so I tip her a little better than usual. However, she had a trainee for a few days and then on her day off, we had the trainee. His tip was a usual 15-20% but I'd guess he's the perp. Well, I'll let AMEX figure it out.

During the lunches, the card was in my sight at all times...just the breakfast place would take the card and come back with the bill.

I'm glad it was the company credit card and not mine. Amex is sending me a new card and as of now, the autoparts charge is on until the company disputes it and the AMEX people indicated to me not to worry about it.

I think I'll be a little bit more careful about the card leaving my sight.

Ralph Luther
Posted 2009-06-09 7:24 AM (#27507 - in reply to #27506)
COMSUBBBS

Subject: RE: Company Credit Card hijacked!

It won't belong and your finger print will be used as a signature to aquire and probably a photograph. In Disney World a couple of weeks ago we had to use a pass card and finger print to gain access to the park.
That little black strip on the back of credit cards and driver's licenses can hold a ton of information on you.
steamboat
Posted 2009-06-09 7:31 AM (#27508 - in reply to #27506)
Master and Commander

I had similar experience several years ago when I was still working. Secretary and myself ate lunch at local resteraunt frequented by college crowd and charged to our company credit card. About a month later we get notice charges were made on our numbers in Egypt and i think France. I guess a waiter was selling numbers overseas. We were issued new cards and were not held responsible for charges. I don't like to be impolite, so what are our options at restaraunt to preclude such theft???
It seems to me that credid card companies tolerate this and just raise interest rates to pay for it. Sorta like illegal immigration.... everybody knows it is wrong, but no one is willing to do anything about it. Symtamatic of how our national morals are decaying, i reckon.

Steamboat sends
Stoops
Posted 2009-06-09 7:32 AM (#27509 - in reply to #27507)
Master and Commander

Yeah---Texas is changing the format of both the CHL and DL. When I went to renew the DL last week, they read both thumbprints with a scanner. Not sure how DPS is going to do it, but they have all 10 fingers, individually plus each hand total.
Supposedly, even though the cards look flimsier, they hold a heck of a lot more data than they used to and are harder to counterfeit.
Stoops
Posted 2009-06-09 7:36 AM (#27510 - in reply to #27508)
Master and Commander

steamboat - 2009-06-09 7:31 AM

I don't like to be impolite, so what are our options at restaraunt to preclude such theft???
It seems to me that credid card companies tolerate this and just raise interest rates to pay for it. Sorta like illegal immigration.... everybody knows it is wrong, but no one is willing to do anything about it. Symtamatic of how our national morals are decaying, i reckon.

Steamboat sends

I think I'll stop going to places where you can't watch them scan your card. That and maybe carrying a bit more cash with me for the places that don't let you keep your card in sight. Also, I suppose when I go into a place I haven't been, I'll look for where the register is.

Yeah....there will probably be more creative ways to separate you from your money in this economy too. Where my youngest daughter works, they just fired a gal who was "raising" the amount of the tip on the bill
Ric
Posted 2009-06-09 9:02 AM (#27514 - in reply to #27506)

Plankowner

I just got scammed by an outfit called 24protectplus. seems they use an opt out process if you go any of a number of sites where you can purchase search info like Intellus. It is buried in the fine print and then they start charging you 19.95 a month. Seems they are all over the net as a scammer and they are even under investigation by the FBI. I called my bank and put stop payment on the last withdrawal and reported them to the BOA fraud department., the Washington State Attorney General and going to do the same to the FBI. They are now permanently blocked from accessing my account ever again.
Ralph Luther
Posted 2009-06-09 10:07 AM (#27515 - in reply to #27514)
COMSUBBBS

These reasons are why I do not trust this banking and paying checks via computer. I'm alright with deposits but paying by internet and paypal leaves too much of an opportunity to be ripped off. Too many fingers accessing accounts.
Doc Gardner
Posted 2009-06-09 1:26 PM (#27520 - in reply to #27506)

Master and Commander

Subject: Now I feel better

Buuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrppppppppppppppppppp!
Thanks for the great breakfast Dave,
Stoops
Posted 2009-06-09 2:46 PM (#27521 - in reply to #27520)
Master and Commander

Subject: RE: Now I feel better

Doc Gardner - 2009-06-09 1:26 PM

Buuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrppppppppppppppppppp!
Thanks for the great breakfast Dave,

No problem.......AMEX will probably be calling on you and it won't be to sell you a card! hee hee hee
MAD DOG
Posted 2009-06-09 7:42 PM (#27525 - in reply to #27514)

Master and Commander

That same bunch of jackasses got me one time,Ric.
I found their corporate phone #,called them and threatened them with serious bodily harm & they sent me a refund.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software