Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: In their history, submarines were called by many names such as 'eel boats', 'plunging boats', 'devil divers', and 'pig boats'. Technically, and by size, the submarine is a ship, but it has been called a boat since its earliest days, and the term is steeped in tradition. Submariners almost invariably call their ships 'boats".
When will we as a Nation say "Enough is enough!"
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Pig
Posted 2009-06-11 6:54 PM (#27589)
Plankowner

Subject: When will we as a Nation say "Enough is enough!"

No Naval Swords for U.S.N.A. Graduation this year - Threat to the Dear Leader

Inside the Beltway - Washington Times
No Weapons for Anyone
From today's "you couldn't make it up if you tried" file.......Obama's protectors have ordered graduating Midshipmen....and I suppose Commissioned Officers through Flag rank...to leave their swords at home. Full Dress White includes "wear sword". More to the point...those badges of office have been earned in a manner Soetoro and his minions just wouldn't begin to understand. Important traditions that inspire are kind of lost on the red banner crowd, apparently..
Further, ceremonial swords never seemed to bother the Secret Service for any previous President. And before World War II, the swords were not particularly "ceremonial", I've seen some of those blades, boarding actions did occur on the China Station pre-war against river pirates, warlords, etc. Those swords were worn not just to graduation, but to Inaugurations, in the receiving line at the White House afterward, to the Inaugural Ball. Somehow nobody gave it a second thought. Somehow even Presidents in the past didn't presume to specify items of uniform.

But of course, what worked for Harry Truman, Ronald Reagan, F.D.R., the Bushes, T.R., any other rational non-cult leader.....doesn't work for this former state senator anointed by the Chicago machine.

Does he secretly consider our Naval and Military leaders "the enemy"? Perhaps the message this sends escaped his handlers. Sad. And .....follow me on this Obama and minions.....insulting. Actually it's contemptible.

http://washingtontimes.com/news/2009/may/21/inside-the-beltway-97423759/

SWORDLESS SAILORS
Graduating midshipmen of the U.S. Naval Academy in Annapolis are being told in writing to leave at home or in their vehicles all "ceremonial swords" and anything else "that might be considered a weapon or a threat by screeners" for Friday's outdoor commencement ceremonies featuring an address by President Barack Obama.
Inside the Beltway has obtained the academy's list of prohibited items for this year's graduation exercises, which, besides ceremonial swords, includes umbrellas.
Yes, cell phones and texting are still allowed.
Posted 2009-06-11 7:12 PM (#27591 - in reply to #27589)
Master and Commander

Subject: RE: When will we as a Nation say "Enough is enough!"

I wonder if it not just a sign of our times, whereas we all have to pass through a metal detector to attend any public event. I wouldn't put this all on the President, but rather a sign of our sick society where a crazed hate-mongerer can walk into a church or museum dedicated to millions of Jews murdered by Natzis and open fire. We have as many domestic terrorists as foreign, and they are much harder to detect.
I look for the day when we have to pass thru a metal detector to enter church. We are indeed a sick society.
Steamboat sends
rjs2005
Posted 2009-06-11 7:22 PM (#27593 - in reply to #27589)

Old Salt

This has been the standard since 9/11. Call the Naval Academy PAO for clarification.
Donald L. Johnson
Posted 2009-06-11 10:03 PM (#27595 - in reply to #27589)

Great Sage of the Sea

And it is just as stupid as a lot of the other "security practices" put in place since 9/11.

Gaddam bureaucrats don't have a clue how to actually make us more safe, but they have no qualms about disarming (even ceremonially) the very people who ARE working to keep us safe from the bad guys.

Stooopid.

Curt
Posted 2009-06-12 4:39 AM (#27597 - in reply to #27589)

Old Salt

You gotta wonder about these, "all of a sudden, this is happening" alerts, don't you...
rjs2005
Posted 2009-06-12 6:34 AM (#27601 - in reply to #27595)

Old Salt

Never said it wasn't stupid, only that it's been in effect for a while now. The original post was worded in a way to make you think the current president is afraid that a crazed middie might run him through with his cermonial sword.
miss lumpy bumps
Posted 2009-06-12 6:42 AM (#27602 - in reply to #27589)

COMSUBBBS

When I read this, I thought, "Oh Lord"...and said a prayer to my Granduncle...because I KNOW he's rolling over in his grave... he  graduated from Annapolis in 1917.   Pardon the expression...but does this constitute...being anal!!!
Gil
Posted 2009-06-12 9:01 AM (#27608 - in reply to #27589)
Master and Commander

Thanks Chuck for the clarification.
RCK
Posted 2009-06-12 9:22 AM (#27609 - in reply to #27589)
Master and Commander

I think that the Obama regime is looking like a bunch of idiots!!
rjs2005
Posted 2009-06-12 10:42 AM (#27612 - in reply to #27609)

Old Salt

RCK - 2009-06-12 12:22 PM

I think that the Obama regime is looking like a bunch of idiots!!

You're entitled to your opinion for sure, but I'm not sure what relevance that has to this issue, since this policy was put into effect during the Bush Administration.
Pig
Posted 2009-06-12 12:25 PM (#27616 - in reply to #27589)
Plankowner

Chuck, as the original poster of this thread, it was not meant to be political, and I still don't think it is... it is not aimed at the present president, or any of our political parties. I posted it only as another shamful example of how as a Nation we have rolled over and stuck our head in the sand, accepting one after the other of these stupid buracratic decisions. It is disgusting to me that men and woman that have worked their butts off for four years so they may wear the complete and offical uniform of their Service are now denied that privalige because of some buracrat. It is worse yet that not one "leader" of our country will challange this stupidy.
PatH
Posted 2009-06-12 12:39 PM (#27619 - in reply to #27589)

Great Sage of the Sea

I think the 'stupid bureaucrats' making this call probably was the Secret Service, since they are charged with protecting the Prez, regardless of who he is.

We live in different times, shipmates, and heightened security is the new reality.  Our entire society is more risk adverse that it used to be, and we're never going back to the good old days, no matter how good they look to us in the rear view mirror.  Every older generation that I know of thinks the latest generation is going to hell in a handbasket. 

My grandfather told my Dad that when he was a young man, my Dad told me that as well when I was a young man.  I'm trying hard not to say that to my son. 

Somehow I think we'll muddle through, as we always have, and one day these youngsters will be rhapsodizing about the good old days and how the world is going to crap... 

Sounds traditional, don't ya think? 

Ralph Luther
Posted 2009-06-12 2:17 PM (#27622 - in reply to #27619)
COMSUBBBS

I beg to differ, Pat. I think one of the problems these days is blowing it off as "we'll muddle through, as we always have". You've got to admit there is a different pulse taking place not only in the US but world wide.
Land Lubber
Posted 2009-06-12 3:19 PM (#27626 - in reply to #27589)
Old Salt

There are some stupid systems in place for sure. I once went to jury duty and each day placed my keys, ink pen and belt buckel in the little tray before going through the metal detector. At the end of the week the security guard took away my keys because I had an illegal key on the ring. I had a hadcuff key. I worked in secuity and carried cuffs all the time. I had the handcuff key on the ring for about 15 years. When I asked why the key was not allowed I was told I could use it to resease a prisoner being held in lockup. Now how I was going to get into the lockup I don't know. I was allowed to remove the key and put it in my car.
Here is another modern system that security places great faith in. The Badge Reader. A person authorized to access an area is issued an ID badge that allows them access to an area. Anyone not having a badge can't enter the area. This is trusted as making an area safe. Ya don't have to be a genius to figure out the badge reader reads the badge not the person using the badge. And because a person is charged a fee if they lose the badge they usually don't report it being lost right away. Not so secure. Just like video cameras. They are good for identifying someone who did a crime, but not so good at preventing the crime.
But on the other hand the planes hijacked on 911 were taken over by men with box cutters. There were a whole lot of people on the plane and a whole lot of luggage in the overhead that could have been used to shield a cut from the blade and possably subdue the person with the blade but people have been conditioned not to fight because it might make things worse.

Take Care,
Steve
rjs2005
Posted 2009-06-12 6:23 PM (#27628 - in reply to #27616)

Old Salt

Pig - 2009-06-12 3:25 PM

Chuck, as the original poster of this thread, it was not meant to be political, and I still don't think it is... it is not aimed at the present president, or any of our political parties. I posted it only as another shamful example of how as a Nation we have rolled over and stuck our head in the sand, accepting one after the other of these stupid buracratic decisions. It is disgusting to me that men and woman that have worked their butts off for four years so they may wear the complete and offical uniform of their Service are now denied that privalige because of some buracrat. It is worse yet that not one "leader" of our country will challange this stupidy.

Pig,

I did not mean for my comment to come off as a slight to you. I know you only posted what has already been reported. I've seen this posted all over the internet, not just here and Ron's BBS. It's being used as a slight toward the current administration, as if they were the ones who put this in effect. I agree it's stupid and overreacting, and this kind of behavior needs to stop. The future Navy Officers deserve credit for their oath they are about to take, and to deny them that respect is a damn shame. I hope against hope that true leadership will again show itself, but I haven't seen it as of yet.

I apologize if my response twinged you in any way. That was not my intent at all.
Gil
Posted 2009-06-12 8:12 PM (#27629 - in reply to #27589)
Master and Commander

Pig,

How can this comment taken from your post not be taken any other way than a knock against Obama?

......Obama's protectors have ordered graduating Midshipmen....and I suppose Commissioned Officers through Flag rank...to leave their swords at home. Full Dress White includes,"

I'm glad that Chuck took the time to clarify it.  I simply would have just believed it.

Edited by Gil 2009-06-12 8:26 PM

Donald L. Johnson
Posted 2009-06-12 9:08 PM (#27632 - in reply to #27601)

Great Sage of the Sea

Yeah, the original did give the impression this was a recent development.
I try to take those breathless "look what they're doing now" reports with a grain of salt.

But still, stupid is stupid, no matter which Administration, nor which Department, puts the policy into place.
Blue from West Oz
Posted 2009-06-12 10:22 PM (#27634 - in reply to #27626)

Master and Commander

Land Lubber - 2009-06-13 5:19 AM

But on the other hand the planes hijacked on 911 were taken over by men with box cutters. There were a whole lot of people on the plane and a whole lot of luggage in the overhead that could have been used to shield a cut from the blade and possably subdue the person with the blade but people have been conditioned not to fight because it might make things worse.

Take Care,
Steve

That was indeed the thinking at the time....but who onboard was to know that it was a suicide mission?
Having travelled a fair bit since 11/9/01, I have always thought that no matter what, I will not just sit in my seat if something happens.
Unless that someone has a gun at my head, I am going in for the kill....pity the hostage, because that will not stop me. Or at least that's what I believe in the safety of posting this at my desk!
One simply HAS to do something because of what happened that horrible day in September.

As for the topic at hand, I also voice my disgust in the decision, no matter who made it. Yes there are loonies out there in all walks of society, but you must place faith in the men and women who are serving to protect the bigger picture than one man, the nation.

It doesn't take a genius to realise that a human being can kill another without a 'weapon' and that's were security fails in all aspects, unless the victim is behind a physical shield which I doubt in this case.

Blue *_*

Edited by Blue from West Oz 2009-06-12 10:24 PM
steamboat
Posted 2009-06-13 6:47 AM (#27637 - in reply to #27589)
Master and Commander

After giving this more thought, I came to this conclusion:
If they don't trust US Navy Officers with psudo-weapons (ceramonial swords) why trust Police Officers with real weapons (9mm semi-automatic pistols)? Who has made more committment to the safety and well being of our nation??? Not to knock the police, but this just shows how uterly rediculous this situation has become. Think about it!!!

Steamboat sends
John396
Posted 2009-06-13 9:48 AM (#27640 - in reply to #27637)
Old Salt

I think that Steamboat is right on!!!
Maybe the Pres. should stay home and play with his dog.
Donald L. Johnson
Posted 2009-06-13 7:01 PM (#27655 - in reply to #27637)

Great Sage of the Sea

steamboat - 2009-06-13 4:47 AM

After giving this more thought, I came to this conclusion:
If they don't trust US Navy Officers with psudo-weapons (ceramonial swords) why trust Police Officers with real weapons (9mm semi-automatic pistols)? Who has made more committment to the safety and well being of our nation??? Not to knock the police, but this just shows how uterly rediculous this situation has become. Think about it!!!

Steamboat sends

My point exactly.

As someone else pointed out, with the proper training, any one of us could kill with a single hand or foot movement, or any object close at hand.

Gordon Liddy, in his book, mentioned how he could have killed John Dean (Watergate scandal, 1974) with a pencil, but didn't.

I flew from Fresno Ca. to Memphis Tn. on 9 Oct 2001 for a job (promotion) interview. There were armed National Guard troops in every airport I passed through, and I had both my Ca. Driver's License and my Retired Military ID Card in a plastic pouch for ease of identification. When they checked my briefcase the first time through security, they found a "church-key" bottle opener buried in one of the pockets - I had forgotten it was there. I had the option of mailing it home to myself or throwing it out. Talk about paranoid - but it was less than a month after the attack.

Eight years later, we should have let go of at least some of the paranoia and returned to more sensible security measures.

Edited by Donald L. Johnson 2009-06-13 7:03 PM
steamboat
Posted 2009-06-14 6:17 AM (#27667 - in reply to #27640)
Master and Commander

Maybe the Pres. should stay home and play with his dog.

John, I did not make my 2nd post on this thread to say that I had changed my mind from 1st post. Only to reinterate how really stupid the policy is. It shows disrespect for our Naval Officers.
However.... I DO NOT think that we should place all the blame on Obama. As someone posted above, this policy started after 9-11 during Bush administration. We will never heal as a nation if we foster hatred and blame for all the countys' ills on one man, whoever is in office. Please vent your anger towards Alquita (sp) where it all ultimately belongs. I say this not to stir your anger, but in hopes that you may take another look at the situation.
Steamboat sends
Don Gentry
Posted 2009-06-17 12:30 AM (#27725 - in reply to #27589)

Admin

What this is above all else is a shining example of the lack of reponsible and skilled journalism in this country.  Journalists, by and large, are probably three to five steps below used car salesman.

What the hell does "Osama's protectors" mean?  If it was the Secret Service, then SAY it was the Secret Service.  If you don't know, then let a competant reporter write the story and shut the hell up.

"But of course, what worked for Harry Truman, Ronald Reagan, F.D.R., the Bushes, T.R., any other rational non-cult leader.....doesn't work for this former state senator anointed by the Chicago machine."  No political spin here... sheesh.  I'd give good money to read a FACT-BASED story once in awhile.  "rational non-cult leader" ... you gotta be s**ttin me!

If someone called me that... there'd be an ass-kicking in the works.

It amazes me how a knee-jerk reaction-based story suddenly becomes accepted as fact.  That's the truly sad thing.

Removing swords from a ceremony is truly a sad reflection of what we all are living today. Rather than dump this crap on our most recently elected president, why don't we focus on the problems that got us here... to this rediculous point? That's where the hard work is... not nearly as much fun as throwing barbs from the left to the right or the right to the left... but that's what we need to do.  It's as party-neutral as you can get.

And at the end of the day... if I'm elected president... I don't to see any GAWDAMMED midshipman ANYWHERE near me with a long, sharp instrument... but then again... that's just me!

Flapper
Posted 2009-06-17 5:52 PM (#27753 - in reply to #27725)

Master and Commander

Why don't you just step up, Don, and tell us how you REALLY feel?

I love it!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software