Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: More decorations for valor have been awarded, per man, to the submarine service than any other Navy Branch.
Phony Veteran
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Corabelle
Posted 2009-06-13 12:07 PM (#27645)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: Phony Veteran

I just read the story of Richard Standlof, who called himself Rick Duncan, and claimed to have been at the Pentagon on 09/11, and also an Iraq Marine Veteran. He aligned himself with politicians running for office, and also frequently appeared with them and told his (untrue) story. He also organized some type of veterans organization, and is being accused of skimming money from it. He claims he didn't. I believe he's under arrest. At least there were two 'official-looking' gentlemen, one on each side of him, as he was interviewed.

Did he hurt anyone, or not?

Comments?

Cora
Stoops
Posted 2009-06-13 1:50 PM (#27647 - in reply to #27645)
Master and Commander

Subject: RE: Phony Veteran

not sure what you mean, Cora. Do you mean did he actually visit some physical harm on someone or did you mean, "nobody got hurt, so what's the big deal?

Edited by Stoops 2009-06-13 1:51 PM
Land Lubber
Posted 2009-06-13 2:31 PM (#27649 - in reply to #27645)
Old Salt

Well I think we should help the guy out. Instead of paying to keep him in a prison, why not let him live out his fatasy. Just put him in a combat unit and maybe he can earn respect instead of stealing it.

Steve
Corabelle
Posted 2009-06-13 3:54 PM (#27650 - in reply to #27647)

COMSUBBBS

Dave - I think that they (whoever 'they' are) believe that he harmed genuine veterans, because now even the real ones will be suspect.

Quote: "The credibility of all veterans is tarnished by one phony hero. And, by endorsing politicians, he was influencing voters." He claimed to be a graduate of Annapolis. Not true. He claims he will take responsibility for his actions. He also claims he has a 'severely undiagonesed mental illness.' He should be shot at dawn...or sooner. IMHO

I'd be inerested in your opinion of his physical appearance and demeanor.

Just type Richard Strandlof into the Internet. Google or whatever.

The TV announcer, Anderson Cooper interviewed him live.

Wish I knew how to include news items in posts.

Cora

Edited by Corabelle 2009-06-13 5:48 PM
Stoops
Posted 2009-06-14 6:01 AM (#27666 - in reply to #27645)
Master and Commander

Since I only know what you have said, I'll just say that phony veterans that assauge their twisted vanity using deeds from better men should be shunned and ridiculed at the very least, and it would be hard for me to drum up any sympathy for them if they were found in an alley with some black eyes and some broken bones.
Smiley
Posted 2009-06-14 8:54 AM (#27670 - in reply to #27645)
Great Sage of the Sea

I think Steve has the right idea..

Don't ya just love the types who upon discovering our prior service status start to say "well I almost joined and would have if... Yadi ya" like it's "almost" is the same as doing it.. They usually say it in a matter like we actually give a darn.. I've never told my Doctor that I was gonna be a doctor.. even though I had years of practice at Ob/Gyn 1 ... I just figured "practice" was just good enough..not always for sure but sometimes.....But claim to be a Doctor???? Never.
Yup.... maybe I'm wrong about being so negative to these guys..Or maybe I'm just jealous because I didn't have a choice in the matter and they did.. Ummmm I gotta think about that one. I still like Steve's suggestion..
Doc Gardner
Posted 2009-06-14 4:51 PM (#27682 - in reply to #27649)

Master and Commander

Land Lubber - 2009-06-13 5:31 PM

Well I think we should help the guy out. Instead of paying to keep him in a prison, why not let him live out his fatasy. Just put him in a combat unit and maybe he can earn respect instead of stealing it.

Steve

We had s**tbirds like that in Viet Nam; they didn't last long
MAD DOG
Posted 2009-06-14 6:25 PM (#27689 - in reply to #27682)

Master and Commander

I met a civil servant the other day who,upon seeing my subvet ballcap,came up with
"OH you were on the boats? I retired last year.I was with "The Teams"
This jerk was 40 years old ,weighed in at 300#,and was obiously never
able to spell SEAL,let alone be one.(Jackass!!!!!!!!!!)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software