Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: ENS Sam Hunter, the first submarine casualty of WWII on Dec. 8, 1941. He was attached to Sea Dragon moored next to Sealion. He was killed by shrapnel from the first bomb hit on Sealion penetrating the conning tower of Sea Dragon. The second hit killed 4 men in Sealions Engineroom.
West Oz Prison
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Gil
Posted 2009-06-13 1:52 PM (#27648)
Master and Commander

Subject: West Oz Prison

Sorry about posting this on  this forum, but couldn't find a forum to post this on. 

I see that the program Lockup Down Under is doing a repeat on the prision in Perth called Casurina.  It is on the National Geographic Channel here on the left coast tomorrow at 10 pm.  I'll watch it anyway, because I like the series,  but I was wondering if this is the prison that Blue works in.

Blue from West Oz
Posted 2009-06-13 5:44 PM (#27652 - in reply to #27648)

Master and Commander

Subject: Yes, that's 'my' prison....

....and as hard as I tried, I just couldn't get my ugly mug on TV!

I recall being at 2 of the incidents that they show.....one being when a prisoner is yelling abuse as he is being led away in handcuffs ( once he saw the camera crew he hammed it up, thought it was his chance at an Oscar maybe? lol ) and the other is one of the emergencies when you see us running to the scene.

Their loss as far as I am concerned......and if they want to do a remake, Brad Pitt can play my part - he is almost as good looking as me!

The episode isn't too bad, but thought for the time they spent with us, they could have done a better production.

Hope you 'enjoy' the show!

Blue *_*
Gil
Posted 2009-06-13 6:08 PM (#27654 - in reply to #27648)
Master and Commander

Subject: RE: West Oz Prison

Great, it will make it more interesting for me!  I imagine you'll even volunteer to be with Angelina while Pitts is making the movie.

Edited by Gil 2009-06-13 6:10 PM
Blue from West Oz
Posted 2009-06-13 11:00 PM (#27658 - in reply to #27654)

Master and Commander

Gil - 2009-06-14 8:08 AM

Great, it will make it more interesting for me!  I imagine you'll even volunteer to be with Angelina while Pitts is making the movie.

Ange ( as I call her ) rang me yesterday and asked when was I free....she's on her way as we speak! ....oh, and the movie isn't starting for another year! lol

Blue *_*
steamboat
Posted 2009-06-14 7:31 PM (#27692 - in reply to #27658)
Master and Commander

In your dreams, Mate. You better go do a "walk-about" to get your head straight, and I got just the shoes for you!!
Steamboat sends
Gil
Posted 2009-06-14 11:39 PM (#27696 - in reply to #27648)
Master and Commander

Blue,

The program was very interesting to me.  Seems to be a lot of similarities in what I see in the programs I've seen on American prisons.  The program stated that meth use is more prevalent in Austalia than other countries.  Do you believe that to be true and if so why do you think so?

I thought the prisoner Roger was interesting.  Claims he got arrested with a ton of cannabis after he sunk his boat off the beach and paddled to shore in a small boat, only to be met by authorities when he hit the beach.  His life sentence means he'll be eligible for parole at 75 and he's 65 now.  Been in prison for something like 7 or 11years.  Claims he's escaped from a German and Mexican prison and got caught escaping from LA County Jail.  His reasoning  about serving out his time at Casurina rather than be extradited to a US prison was interesting.

I  also thought the comment from Rhonda Smythe the guard was quite interesting.  She said I wish they had killed all the rioters in the 1998 rebellion and I could have dragged the dead bodies out.  She sure doesn't hold anything back.  She and a couple of male guards still seem emotionally scarreD by the rebellion - I was surprised and elated that no guards were killed.

A few things that seemed different than the other prisons I've seen.  They didn't mention gangs, do they not exist there?  The aboriginies seemed to consider themselves as Black?  Do the bakers really make $50 a week and if so is that due to to the long hours and high temps they work around?  Do the inmates work for money to buy things in prison, and as we allow here can people put money into their accounts to allow them to buy things.  Were you there in 1998 or were you hired after that?

The most disturbing thing to me was the rapist who held a member of the staff prisoner for six hours and was transferred to another prison and repeated  the offense.

Sorry for all the questions, but this prison's policy of not trying to punish the prisoners for being in prison seems if true a lot different than the other maximum security prisons here that I've seen. on TV.

Cuidate Usted!!!!

Blue from West Oz
Posted 2009-06-15 7:08 AM (#27697 - in reply to #27696)

Master and Commander

Gil - 2009-06-15 1:39 PM

Blue,

The program was very interesting to me.  Seems to be a lot of similarities in what I see in the programs I've seen on American prisons.  The program stated that meth use is more prevalent in Austalia than other countries.  Do you believe that to be true and if so why do you think so?

I thought the prisoner Roger was interesting.  Claims he got arrested with a ton of cannabis after he sunk his boat off the beach and paddled to shore in a small boat, only to be met by authorities when he hit the beach.  His life sentence means he'll be eligible for parole at 75 and he's 65 now.  Been in prison for something like 7 or 11years.  Claims he's escaped from a German and Mexican prison and got caught escaping from LA County Jail.  His reasoning  about serving out his time at Casurina rather than be extradited to a US prison was interesting.

I  also thought the comment from Rhonda Smythe the guard was quite interesting.  She said I wish they had killed all the rioters in the 1998 rebellion and I could have dragged the dead bodies out.  She sure doesn't hold anything back.  She and a couple of male guards still seem emotionally scarreD by the rebellion - I was surprised and elated that no guards were killed.

A few things that seemed different than the other prisons I've seen.  They didn't mention gangs, do they not exist there?  The aboriginies seemed to consider themselves as Black?  Do the bakers really make $50 a week and if so is that due to to the long hours and high temps they work around?  Do the inmates work for money to buy things in prison, and as we allow here can people put money into their accounts to allow them to buy things.  Were you there in 1998 or were you hired after that?

The most disturbing thing to me was the rapist who held a member of the staff prisoner for six hours and was transferred to another prison and repeated  the offense.

Sorry for all the questions, but this prison's policy of not trying to punish the prisoners for being in prison seems if true a lot different than the other maximum security prisons here that I've seen. on TV.

Cuidate Usted!!!!

1. re Meth, I couldn't comment on that statement unless I looked it up....maybe a Google situation? Been looking...can only find the statement that states...."it is the most prevalent drug IN Australia". The drug that seems to always come up in the urine tests is dope.

2. Roger is indeed an interesting person. From Georgia and as you stated, doing his time here. I have talked with him a few times over the 4 1/2 years I have been here and he is an extremely polite man. Of course, that doesn't override any of the crimes he has committed, but after a while you get to know them ...a little. I was about to do an 'update' on him and erased it, for obvious reasons I can't make too many comments about particular prisoners or our Routines. His comment about the SHU....I got to be honest, I don't like working in there.....only done so a few times but it just gives me the creeps....especially when doing safety checks at night!

3. Rhonda, a lovely woman who I had the pleasure to work with a couple of times. Sadly, after that went to air, she pulled the plug. I don't believe it was right of them to name her, especially with her making those statements. I can however, agree with what she said. The guys who went through the riot on Christmas Day 1998 certainly went through a beating to nothing that day. It's no wonder some of them are still emotional about it.

4. Yes we do have Gangs, but the reality is that they are no way near as bad as what the US has....or at least going by what I see on the news or similar prison shows. Mainly it is the Aboriginals. They themselves have Tribal issues, so a lot of the time it's between themselves. We do have Asians, White Australians and the OMG ( Outlaw Motorcycle Gangs ) to contend with.

5. Yes, the Aboriginals are indeed 'black' - not sure what other colour they could be to be honest. If that means you think your blacks are the only blacks, well....I am sure our blacks wouldnt be too impressed with that! lol

6. The most our top workers get, of which some of the bakers would be ( but not all ) is about $50 a week. Some of them whinge about how 'little' they get paid....I remind them that they are actually paid about $1,000 a week and we take that from the for Board and Food, Electricity, Water........."smart arse" is the usual response.

7. Yes, they can get money put into their accounts, but limited and it needs to be stated what for and from whom. Otherwise it will be frozen in their account until they leave prison.

8. The rapist, he is in a secure area, and will be for the rest of his life I believe.....no female contact whatsoever. How he was able to do what he did, 3 times is all thanks to the 'do gooders' in the system who believe these people o can be rehabilitated.....of course there are some that can be.....and then there are those that should just be shot....unfortunately we do not do that in our country.

9. The idea is that you go to prison FOR punishment....not to BE punished. The loss of liberty IS the punishment.....by the book.

10. I joined prisons in November of 2004. The day of the riot, I was two weeks away from completing my 20 years in the navy and never in my wildest dreams did I think I would be working in the system. My Dad had suggested it to me, I didn't think I had it in me to do this. There are times when I have absolutely been terrified....hopefully I didn't show it and it was only inwardly that I did so.

There are quite a few things I have issue with inside the prison, the system and how so lenient they are with them when they commit a crime on the inside......But, I am just a minor part in the system so I have to 'let it go'. Coming from our background, it is hard to take. I laughed in disbelief a few weeks ago when I admonished a crim, he is a murderer and he said "why do you have to be an arsehole'? that was funny....he murdered someone and I am the arsehole? "yeah right"!

Breath in, Breathe out.........
RCK
Posted 2009-06-15 7:27 AM (#27698 - in reply to #27697)
Master and Commander

Having your mug on TV would be considered cruel and unusual punishment. Having my mug on tv would be considered ARMAGEDDON!
Gil
Posted 2009-06-15 9:43 AM (#27700 - in reply to #27698)
Master and Commander

Thanks Blue.
Park Dallis
Posted 2009-06-15 11:44 AM (#27701 - in reply to #27648)

Old Salt

Nice comments, Blue, and an interesting program.

I enjoyed the kangaroo tail barbecue scenes...  What do they do with the rest of the kangaroo?  Knowing your fondness for degustation have you taken part?

On other episodes of "Lockdown" they always have shots of the yard with our prisoners all separated into their own groups and areas (African-Americans, Northern Mexicans, Southern Mexicans, White Supremacists, etc...) and heaven protect a guy who gets out of his area or circle of friends.  Do you have the same situation there?  It looked to me like the only groups would be the aborigines and everybody else.

Blue from West Oz
Posted 2009-06-15 2:53 PM (#27704 - in reply to #27701)

Master and Commander

Park Dallis - 2009-06-16 1:44 AM

Nice comments, Blue, and an interesting program.

I enjoyed the kangaroo tail barbecue scenes...  What do they do with the rest of the kangaroo?  Knowing your fondness for degustation have you taken part?

On other episodes of "Lockdown" they always have shots of the yard with our prisoners all separated into their own groups and areas (African-Americans, Northern Mexicans, Southern Mexicans, White Supremacists, etc...) and heaven protect a guy who gets out of his area or circle of friends.  Do you have the same situation there?  It looked to me like the only groups would be the aborigines and everybody else.

he he he....the first time I ever had kangaroo was inside prison.....one of the prisoners asked if I had tasted it and came over with a plate when I said 'no'. Quite nice, and very healthy meat.
I believe they eat all of the 'roo, but for some reason the delicacy is the tail....strange.

Aboriginals make up about 45-50% of the prison population, the most for any native population in the entire world. That either makes us very racist, or, they are very unruly.
There is a strong culture clash at times.....they definitely do not like the female officers telling them what to do....but then of course there are those that don't like the 'white man' telling them what to do. We have about 6 in our Unit......I get on very well with about 2 of them, 1 I totally despise ( for his crime and his behaviour inside ) and the other 3 are just quiet and keep to themselves.

on the funny side, the term 'Abbo' is deemed offensive to most.....I have a Shipmate who served with me back in 93/94...his surname being Abbott....he was nicknamed 'Abbo' for obvious reasons......guess who still calls out 'Abbo' when I want him? lol.......no one has complained yet, and I do try my best to be aware of my surroundings but it does slip out every now and then. One Aboriginal pretended to be offended, but he laughed when I said, "no not you, the other one' ( meaning my mate )

Blue *_*
Park Dallis
Posted 2009-06-15 4:33 PM (#27706 - in reply to #27704)

Old Salt

Thanks, Blue.  I wouldn't want your job.
Darrin
Posted 2009-06-15 4:46 PM (#27707 - in reply to #27648)

Great Sage of the Sea

MMmmmmmm Roo burgers We traded a couple of turkey's and some hamburgers and other stuff in Singapore in '91 with the HMAS Jarvis Bay and they were more then happy to trade for some American food.
Ralph Luther
Posted 2009-06-15 5:23 PM (#27708 - in reply to #27704)
COMSUBBBS

When my wife, Granddaughter and I were in Oz and caught up with Blue and his kids at Ayers Rock we had bar-b-q roo one night at a cook out. It was real good tasting and I wish they served it here in the States at Outback Steak House. In the mean while I guess I'll need to darken Blue's door again.
Blue from West Oz
Posted 2009-06-16 4:53 AM (#27712 - in reply to #27708)

Master and Commander

Ralph Luther - 2009-06-16 7:23 AM

When my wife, Granddaughter and I were in Oz and caught up with Blue and his kids at Ayers Rock we had bar-b-q roo one night at a cook out. It was real good tasting and I wish they served it here in the States at Outback Steak House. In the mean while I guess I'll need to darken Blue's door again.

"Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo................................."

Of course you are welcome, anytime.... and that goes for everyone on these here BBS's!

Blue *_*
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software