Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: The United States submarine USS TRITON was fitted with twin reactors and was considered the longest submarine ever built until the advent of the OHIO class. The TRITON was designed for a surface displacement of 5,900 tons. Large submarines of other countries have been the Japanese I-400 (5,220 tons), and the French SURCOUF (2,880 tons).
Roncador
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Gil
Posted 2009-06-13 11:03 PM (#27659)
Master and Commander

Subject: Roncador

Anybody ever sail on the Roncador, SS 301?  It was my reserve base submarine in the 1960's out of Terminal Island.  The batteries were gone and it had a small draft because concrete replaced those batteries.  I think we had at least one engine to fire up on weekends.  The sail wound up in San Diego.  I spent one weekend a month for part of '66 and '67 plus before entering active reserve duty at our SoCal TI.

Threw my first heavie on SS 301 and learned the fine art of walking the brow pie eyed.  We soon figured out that having lunch at the EM Club bar was more fun than using our chit for a free lunch in the cafeteria.

TSpoon
Posted 2009-06-13 11:21 PM (#27660 - in reply to #27659)
Great Sage of the Sea

Subject: RE: Roncador

As I am a Balao vet and fondly remember her pink paint job there also was an "Operation Petticoat" TV series in the early 1970's, I think that is the time frame.

I have been told the Roncador was painted pink for scenes in this tv show.

Aldona Sendzakis, past Pampanito Collection and Educaiton Manager, told me that during her stint aboard the Bowfin management team they had received an anchor from the Roncador that had pink paint on it.

Do you know anything about this?

T.Spoon, DBF

Edited by TSpoon 2009-06-13 11:22 PM
Ric
Posted 2009-06-14 5:42 AM (#27665 - in reply to #27659)

Plankowner

We sailed from San Diego to Long Beach on Cusk and tied outboard Roncador. I was to fly home for LAX and stunk to high heaven so I took a shower on Roncador in the Officers shower before putting on my dress canvas and catching a cab to the airport. My last shower on a submarine.
crystal
Posted 2009-06-14 6:58 AM (#27668 - in reply to #27659)

Master and Commander

That was your TAD ridership?  San Diego to Long Beach? Wow!!!!
RCK
Posted 2009-06-14 8:46 AM (#27669 - in reply to #27660)
Master and Commander

I was in the vaunted Key West Sonar School while they were filming "Operation Petticoat" and I only saw one "Pink Lady". I was a helper for the film and my job was launching small craft to keep inquisitive visitors away from the shoot... that was until I fell and cut up my knee and it got infected. Everything got infected in Key West. I rode the "Balao" as a guest,but I was up all night before the ride studying for a test and I was so fagged out I fell asleep in the FTR. I didn't even rouse for chow. No I didn't see any stars, but I did watch a guy in skivvies with his name stenciled on the back shooting blanks at an imaginary plane that they put in the flick at a later time. THat's Hollywood for ya!!
Gil
Posted 2009-06-14 11:16 AM (#27672 - in reply to #27659)
Master and Commander

Robert,

What year was that?  About every couple of months a boat would come up from San Diego and take us squibs around Santa Catalina and San Clemente Island for one day on our reserve weekend.  I can't remember the boats, but they always fed us steak and ice cream and we got to play sailors for a day. 

TSpoon, The TV series seemed to be filmed in 1977, I thought the Roncador was sold and gone by then.  Although I lived only eight miles away from the Roncador I had no idea it was used in that series. I had heard it was going to be towed to San Francisco at one time.

Edited by Gil 2009-06-14 11:18 AM

Land Lubber
Posted 2009-06-14 2:46 PM (#27674 - in reply to #27659)
Old Salt

I remember her. When I was a kid my family would go down to the Long Beach Naval Base and go on board the ships that were having open house. They would generally have the minsweepers available and quite often they would have the Roncador open. Once they had 2 subs available the Roncador and the Razorback. This was just prior to the transfer of the Razorback so she looked much newer and I went on her. Some of the Roncador's parts are in the Maritime museum in San Pedro, (next to Ports of Call). They have a watertight door, her "christmas tree", her klackson and I think her "banjo". There had been plans to make a museum of her but popular opinion, in the area was not for it. I was looking at Flicker.com the other day and found this image. It doesn't show much of the boat, but I think Doc will like the way the men are dressed.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/alaskapine/135516753/

Take Care,
Steve
C Stafford
Posted 2009-06-14 3:24 PM (#27675 - in reply to #27659)
Senior Crew

The Roncador was gone from the LB Reserve Center when I transferred up in 1970. I think she was tied up near Redondo Beach for a film. My Reserve boat in SD was the Trepang, but she was gone when I got back from active duty in 1969.
One of the reasons I got out of the Reserves is because there was nothing to do at the Long Beach base. The gate guards were also a pain.
RCK
Posted 2009-06-14 3:36 PM (#27676 - in reply to #27672)
Master and Commander

Gil - 2009-06-14 2:16 AM

Robert,

What year was that?  About every couple of months a boat would come up from San Diego and take us squibs around Santa Catalina and San Clemente Island for one day on our reserve weekend.  I can't remember the boats, but they always fed us steak and ice cream and we got to play sailors for a day. 

TSpoon, The TV series seemed to be filmed in 1977, I thought the Roncador was sold and gone by then.  Although I lived only eight miles away from the Roncador I had no idea it was used in that series. I had heard it was going to be towed to San Francisco at one time.

The Year of Our Lord 1959
Gil
Posted 2009-06-14 3:44 PM (#27677 - in reply to #27659)
Master and Commander

Chris,

You made me rekindle old memories.  The Roncador was in Redondo Beach after TI, and the Marines at the  Terminal Island gate were a pain as they were at the  Hunters Point gate  where my active duty ended in November of 1968.  I think Marines all over took special zeal in hassling sailors at gates.  I don't remember it being too bad at the gate in Pearl.

Edited by Gil 2009-06-14 3:50 PM
Flapper
Posted 2009-06-14 10:51 PM (#27695 - in reply to #27677)

Master and Commander

Gil - 2009-06-14 4:44 PM

Chris,

You made me rekindle old memories.  The Roncador was in Redondo Beach after TI, and the Marines at the  Terminal Island gate were a pain as they were at the  Hunters Point gate  where my active duty ended in November of 1968.  I think Marines all over took special zeal in hassling sailors at gates.  I don't remember it being too bad at the gate in Pearl.

It wasn't as bad in Pearl Harbor (in the era we speak of). My theory has always been: Hassle Factor (HF) is in inverse proportion to the distance from Washington D.C., or the nearest flagship.
HF is directly proportional to the size of the ship one is on.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software