Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: "They weren't just hull numbers, they were our home addresses. Now the old neighborhood is torn down and gone and all that is left are memories." -- Dick Murphy, USS Tiru SS 416
Language overseas
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Runner485
Posted 2009-06-17 3:45 PM (#27743)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: Language overseas

How manyof you guys, that took a language in high school, were able to get bywith it in the country of the language you studied.

I took twoyears of Italian, had a problem with most of the tenses, and all thatstuff, but knew enough to get "around" in a conversation, using ofcourse, my hands and English. It was a lot of fun and I used it fromGenoa to Palermo.
Doc Gardner
Posted 2009-06-17 4:08 PM (#27744 - in reply to #27743)

Master and Commander

Subject: RE: Language overseas

Two years of HS French got me by in LeHavre and Paris; even helped some in Italy and Spain. I did better at reading it than speaking it though.
Blue from West Oz
Posted 2009-06-17 4:57 PM (#27745 - in reply to #27743)

Master and Commander

English........for some reason I can speak English in England and Australia.

Go to America and that's a different kettle of fish altogether. So, what language IS your first language?

Blue *_* he he he ....
Park Dallis
Posted 2009-06-17 5:32 PM (#27747 - in reply to #27743)

Old Salt

I took 1 year of Latin in High School.

It didn't help at all in Italy.
Doc Gardner
Posted 2009-06-17 6:07 PM (#27756 - in reply to #27747)

Master and Commander

Park Dallis - 2009-06-17 8:32 PM

I took 1 year of Latin in High School.

It didn't help at all in Italy.

You mean it didn't help you read all the historical markers in Rome?
Ralph Luther
Posted 2009-06-18 1:01 AM (#27762 - in reply to #27745)
COMSUBBBS

At the rate it's going, Blue, it will be Spanish. I took 2 years of it in school, but, like most everything time and CRS has and is taking its toll.
Runner485
Posted 2009-06-18 5:43 AM (#27765 - in reply to #27744)

COMSUBBBS

Doc Gardner - 2009-06-17 4:08 PMTwo years of HS French got me by in LeHavre and Paris; even helped some in Italy and Spain. I did better at reading it than speaking it though.

Same with me Doc...I could read Oggi very well, my pronunciation was good...but, I couldn't think in Italian.

So what else is new!
subvetss
Posted 2009-06-18 8:17 AM (#27773 - in reply to #27743)
Senior Crew

I only learned 2 words while in the Med and they got me just about all I wanted. I thing they were 'Quanta Costa?'
Joe'the'Most
Darrin
Posted 2009-06-18 3:23 PM (#27794 - in reply to #27743)

Great Sage of the Sea

I took American English (aka back country "redneck" english) until 1990 and then New England english for 6 months while at NLON and finally Pacific Region pigeon for 3+ years mixed into the mix was the Pacific Rim words for beer, food, hotel and other essential things required to survive while in port. Since then I have learned how to make Iraqi's stop and put their weapons down and surrender along with asking the local Koreans for the esential's in life (food, drink and other fun things). I am sure that the Doc's here on this bbs have a lot of different terms used to get what they needed to save the men they served with when they were wounded or just plain ol hung over.

Donald L. Johnson
Posted 2009-06-18 9:48 PM (#27816 - in reply to #27743)

Great Sage of the Sea

I had 3 years of Spanish in high school. Used more of it in San Diego and Vallejo than anywhere overseas.

Except that one time on USS Buffalo we had the QM striker from Puerto Rico - boy, did he have a thick accent. The few of us who spoke Spanish spent a lot of time with him, and we worked real hard to keep him off the sound-powered phones until his English improved (which it did, eventually).

Thomas Courtien
Posted 2009-06-20 3:56 AM (#27834 - in reply to #27743)
Master and Commander

I took 3 years of HS Latin and 3 years of HS French - the Latin was more helpful to my overall language abilities than the French. I know more Spanish than French today.

In college (after the Navy) I was allowed to fulfill the language requirements with computer languages because I was a Business major.

I took basic and cobal - now these really helped me improve my analysis and logic skills which I had acquired in the Submarine Service.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software