Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: USS SKATE and USS SEADRAGON, after affecting a historic rendezvous under the ice, surfaced together at the North Pole through an opening in the ice on August 1962. What really happened: We didn't surface together, Skate surfaced first. Then we (Seadragon) fired yellow flares forward and aft so Skate could tell us how we were lined up. Remember, under-ice was primitive in these days. Skate called back down rapidly that one flare surfaced on her starboard side and the other to port. She requested we reposition before vertical surfacing. We did. - Coyote (Owen Carlson)
Report from Ski on the Magnificant Patch Display
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Don Gentry
Posted 2009-06-21 1:18 AM (#27847)

Admin

Subject: Report from Ski on the Magnificant Patch Display

The Submarines of WWII Patch display was completed yesterday 6/15/2009.  Amazing since its conception was in November/all patches received on 3/10/2009/labels and frames finished on 6/10/2009.  My deepest appreciation to Sue Rainey (my spousal equivalent) who did all the work, layout, design and production.

She earned her dolphins on this project.  It will be delivered to the Veteran's Memorial Museum

1250 W. State St. Hwy 76, Branson, Mo. 65676 on October 5th and unveiled during the USS STERLET

SS392 Association.  The project was completed due to many donors of materials and labels at about

$4,000 after transportation to Branson.  The following are the first pictures taken in our living room of the completed project.  After a presentation to the public at the Wheeler Taft Abbott, Sr. Library with the help of the Tucson Chapter of the USSVI and their 770 float (three of their WWII crew will speak with me and that is certainly appreciated) the public will view for the day the displays.  Then Sue and I hit the road for the long drive to Branson by Cargo Van.  The unveiling. if anyone is in  the area, will be the afternoon of October 8th 2009 and then it will be the permanent home for the displays.  We owe a debt of gratitude to  the owner Mr. Hoppe, Director June Tillis, and Debbie Chesnokov of the Branson Chamber for making this possible.

We know for years to come the million plus visitors to the Museum will marvel and enjoy the display honoring the gallant submarines and their crews of WWII.  (One display is dedicated to all lost boats,

another has the museum boats with their information listed).  Please add Branson to your vacation plans in the future to visit the new submarine memorial site.

(Ski1.jpg)

(Ski2.JPG)

(Ski3.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Ski1.jpg (110KB - 473 downloads)
Attachments Ski2.JPG (116KB - 460 downloads)
Attachments Ski3.JPG (88KB - 494 downloads)
Curt
Posted 2009-06-21 4:38 AM (#27850 - in reply to #27847)

Old Salt

Subject: RE: Report from Ski on the Magnificant Patch Display

Wow... Nice!
Ralph Luther
Posted 2009-06-21 5:45 AM (#27856 - in reply to #27847)
COMSUBBBS

Looks good, Ski. It surely deserves a couple of "Atta Boy's" and a bunch of "Atta Girl's"
snakeyez
Posted 2009-06-21 9:07 PM (#27888 - in reply to #27847)

Senior Crew

Very nice work!
Flapper
Posted 2009-06-21 10:42 PM (#27891 - in reply to #27847)

Master and Commander

I look forward to seeing this display locally (near Tucson) before Dick transports it back to Branson.
BZ to Ski for getting it all together.
I notice 'Director June Tillis' has a familiar family name; related to Mel & Meg?
- Vice Commander, Tucson Base, USSVI
Skii
Posted 2009-06-22 2:41 PM (#27908 - in reply to #27847)

Great Sage of the Sea

I look forward to the Tucson Chapter bringing three WWII VETS to help me with the presentation and for bringing the Tucson Float for the day -- it is great to get the local support as we give the Tucson communities and others a chance to see them before heading to the Veteran's Memorial Museum.
It also will show them way the USSVI bases support our veteran's and community.

Thanks again for all the support and for Dick Shoemaker assembling the troops for me -- The Marana Library is one of largest and newest in Pima County.

Then we load the van and off to Branson for a Monday installation. Thanks again Flapper see you on the 2nd of Oct.

Ski
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software