Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: "These dolphins, once you pin them on your chest, leave deep marks, right over your heart, long after the uniforms have been put away.” -- Bud F. Turner ex-MT2(SS)
50 Years Ago . . . .
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

crystal
Posted 2009-06-21 10:36 AM (#27870)

Master and Commander

Subject: 50 Years Ago . . . .

The first graduating class of the 4 year old Sunnyvale High School (in Sunnyvale, CA) some 500 strong, got their diplomas as they walked across the stage set up in the gym field.  I was in my senior year having transferred from Hollywood, CA and was #55 in our new H.S. alumni association... Unfortunately the high school was sold within a few years (lock, stock and barrel) to Westinghouse Corp. as this was prime property in silicon valley... Much later it reverted back to the King Academy (a private school)... My Point?  Happy 50th you fellow graduates wherever the winds have taken you - we don't have an alumni association in place since the initial sale and we're spread around the world at this point but I remember those days well...   
Ric
Posted 2009-06-21 10:42 AM (#27871 - in reply to #27870)

Plankowner

Subject: RE: 50 Years Ago . . . .

Quite a story. sorry your old school was gone so fast.
My old high school has been in the same place since 1912. There was talk of tearing it down at one point but it was saved but has been highly remodeled and no longer feels the same.
Gil
Posted 2009-06-21 11:21 AM (#27874 - in reply to #27870)
Master and Commander

John,

You mean to tell us you were a one time Hollywood High Shiek!

TSpoon
Posted 2009-06-21 12:18 PM (#27876 - in reply to #27870)
Great Sage of the Sea

I HAD JUST COMPLETED MY SOPHMORE YEAR AT MENLO ATHERTON HIGH SCHOOL, JUST UP ELCAMINO REAL IN MENLO PARK. WE WERE ALMOST NEIGHBORS AND IN THOSE DAYS ALL THAT SEPERATED US WAS A LOT OF OPEN SPACE AND FARMS.

T.SPOON, DBF
Bear
Posted 2009-06-21 1:05 PM (#27879 - in reply to #27870)

Great Sage of the Sea

Last year was our 40th and the school was only 4 years old when we graduated (wife and I) it has remained unchanged except two big sections were added on each end
PaulR
Posted 2009-06-21 1:40 PM (#27882 - in reply to #27876)

Master and Commander

TSpoon - 2009-06-21 3:18 PMI HAD JUST COMPLETED MY SOPHMORE YEAR AT MENLO ATHERTON HIGH SCHOOL, JUST UP ELCAMINO REAL IN MENLO PARK. WE WERE ALMOST NEIGHBORS AND IN THOSE DAYS ALL THAT SEPERATED US WAS A LOT OF OPEN SPACE AND FARMS.T.SPOON, DBF

Starting in early 1969 I was employed by a company, then located at 150 Constitution Drive in Menlo Park.  I made many trip there from NY in the following couple of years.  They moved to Santa Clara in 73 or 74.

One of our favorite lunch place was a place on the water in Redwood City that was famous for it's hot polish sausages.  You went in, took a number, ordered and went to the patio/deck and found a seat.  They called your number and a server brought out your food.  I always liked that place but have forgotten it's name.

Then there was the original MING'S in Palo Alto...but I digress and am now getting hungry.

TSpoon
Posted 2009-06-21 2:53 PM (#27883 - in reply to #27870)
Great Sage of the Sea

Paul,

I ate there many times when I got out of the Navy in 1967. Can only think of "Petes Harbor" but not sure of that. My brothers high school (1971) girl friend's dad used to run the boat yard out there and they cold get us a discount at the restaurant. The dad tried to get my brother to work in the boat yard but my brother was a wimp.

I heard rumors that when they dredged the channel to the Port of Redwood City a diesel boat or two made port calls there.

In the late 1950's, before they stared all those improvements we used to fish for sand sharks and smelt off the Redwood City Port pier. At low tide you could sneak around the end of the chainlink fence and walk to the cement pier. Then when we left, the tide would be in, so we would go by the guard shack and they would yell at us but let us out. Today they would have home land security after you.

T.Spoon, DBF
PaulR
Posted 2009-06-21 4:42 PM (#27884 - in reply to #27883)

Master and Commander

TSpoon - 2009-06-21 5:53 PMPaul, I ate there many times when I got out of the Navy in 1967. Can only think of "Petes Harbor" but not sure of that. My brothers high school (1971) girl friend's dad used to run the boat yard out there and they cold get us a discount at the restaurant. The dad tried to get my brother to work in the boat yard but my brother was a wimp. I heard rumors that when they dredged the channel to the Port of Redwood City a diesel boat or two made port calls there.In the late 1950's, before they stared all those improvements we used to fish for sand sharks and smelt off the Redwood City Port pier. At low tide you could sneak around the end of the chainlink fence and walk to the cement pier. Then when we left, the tide would be in, so we would go by the guard shack and they would yell at us but let us out. Today they would have home land security after you.T.Spoon, DBF

Pete's may be right, but not sure.

In that marina were the first ferro-cement hulled sailboats I ever saw.
Palm Bay Ken
Posted 2009-06-21 5:17 PM (#27886 - in reply to #27870)

Great Sage of the Sea

50 Years Ago . . . . I had just graduated from Nuclear Power School (Class 59-1), my oldest daughter was 3 weeks old, and we were moving to East Hartford, CT prior to reporting to S1C at Windsor Locks.
Flapper
Posted 2009-06-21 6:33 PM (#27887 - in reply to #27870)

Master and Commander

crystal - 2009-06-21 11:36 AMThe first graduating class of the 4 year old Sunnyvale High School (in Sunnyvale, CA) some 500 strong, got their diplomas as they walked across the stage set up in the gym field.  I was in my senior year having transferred from Hollywood, CA and was #55 in our new H.S. alumni association... Unfortunately the high school was sold within a few years (lock, stock and barrel) to Westinghouse Corp. as this was prime property in silicon valley... Much later it reverted back to the King Academy (a private school)... My Point?  Happy 50th you fellow graduates wherever the winds have taken you - we don't have an alumni association in place since the initial sale and we're spread around the world at this point but I remember those days well...   

Small world.
A checkered history high school for sure! I lived and worked in Sunnyvale from 1975 - 1984. My daughter graduated from Sunnyvale High in - lessee now - 1979 or 80. It was shutdown in 1981. My semiconductor employer (nee Signetics, now Philips) was headquartered right across the street (Stewart) and the last building I worked in overlooked SHS football field on the south side; the school itself was on Duane Av near Fairoaks Blvd.
Was your alma mater at a different location? The school physically still exists - it was leased out to one of the local companies, and was supposedly going to be held in reserve in case increasing school age population overcame other capacity.
TSpoon
Posted 2009-06-21 9:50 PM (#27890 - in reply to #27884)
Great Sage of the Sea

Paul, My broher verified the name, "Pete's Harbor" is it.

His girl friends father was involved with those fero cement hulled boats.

T.Spoon, DBF
crystal
Posted 2009-06-22 5:42 AM (#27894 - in reply to #27870)

Master and Commander

Bob, same school, same place... I found it a few years ago when I went down to the Bash at the Ranch and had some extra time afterwards.  It is now the King Academy (a private school) and the trees around it are now HUGE as compared to when the school was brand new.  It was first in the area with three outdoor swimming pools, etc. etc.  I have found a quasi alumni association on-line and am shipping my 1959 year book down to them for their use.  I was a transfer student and figure some of the more "locals" would appreciate seeing the old book (in great shape none the less - like it's owner - haa!)...

(LastFlag.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments LastFlag.jpg (76KB - 470 downloads)
Dave Follo
Posted 2009-06-22 1:39 PM (#27906 - in reply to #27870)
Crew

USS Bugara (SS-331) made a port call at Redwood City in either '56-'57 for some patriotc holiday, I think it was Memorial Day, because we were wearing dress blues ashore. I was in some bar with ENC(SS) "Knobby" Walsh, who was retiring when we returned to San Diego. An elderly gent walked in dressed in CPO's dress blues, crow on his right arm, nine gold hash marks on his left, along with a square knot on his sleeve. He joined us and asked Knobby "when did you join the Navy"? Knobby replies "1936". The old Chief say's "that's when I retired on 40". Sure impressed this young sailor.

DBF
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software