Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: United States Submarines destroyed a total of 1,314 Japanese ships during World War II, including one battleship, eight aircraft carriers, fifteen cruisers, forty-two destroyers, and twenty-three submarines. Against this score, fifty-two U.S. Submarines were lost.
Got a phone call requesting help in locating officer
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

dex armstrong
Posted 2009-06-25 6:23 AM (#28003)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: Got a phone call requesting help in locating officer

According to official naval records, an officer named HARRY HART was assigned to command REQUIN in February of 1968....and his tour as CO of REQUIN (SS-481) lasted just one month. The question is WHY? Why only one month? REQUIN WAS DECOMM'D about that time. If anyone knows why please post. Thanks DEX
Jim M.
Posted 2009-06-25 7:13 AM (#28005 - in reply to #28003)

Great Sage of the Sea

Subject: RE: Got a phone call requesting help in locating officer

Dex,

I think I can help out here... Captain Hart was put in command of REQUIN when REQUIN's regular CO, Allen B. Higginbotham went down with appendicitis. Al H. told me that Captain Hart wanted to go back to sea for a bit before retirement.. I'll confirm with Al H. later (or if you want, email me and I'll pass along Al. H's email address to you)...

Al H. was just up in Annapolis way for a memorial service for his XO, Clyde Van Landingham... Clyde would have been able to answer this too...

And REQUIN was decommissioned in December, 1968.

Edited by Jim M. 2009-06-25 7:16 AM
Ralph Luther
Posted 2009-06-25 10:39 AM (#28006 - in reply to #28003)
COMSUBBBS

Subject: RE: Got a phone call requesting help in locating officer

USS Sennet SS-408 had a CO by the name of Harry S. Hart during the years of '60-'62. LCDR H. S. Hart----- right after he took command of Sennet he was asked what the initials H.S. stood for and his reply was, "Horse s**t". He was one that told us we'd work hard and play hard and he lived up to it
Captain Hart is on Eternal Patrol now. I'm not positive on his departure time but it has been a few years now.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software